Student needs help with build

Radar274

We have some questions as we prepare for the HDT project. We are hoping to pass the course and graduate with a HDT certificate.

The subject is a 730 Volvo carrying a JD Gator 60”X104” on her back as she pulls a 39’ Mobile Suites. Lucy has been singled, with a Maxbrake and Jackalopee by her side. She now needs a backpack and your help choosing which design goes with her outfit.

What are your thoughts on the following?

If we install the Hitch pin 135” from BOC will we have enough room? This adds 4” to the frame. The Fairing is 17” from BOC, which leaves 67” for the Gator and 51” for trailer. Could we get away with the Hitch pin @ 131”, 63” for Gator and 51” for trailer?

Should we use a damping material between the top of the frame and the bed? We are mounting 4” C channel on top of the frame and using 3” C channel at 12” spacing for the deck support. Could we use 1/2” conveyor belting we got from the local gravel pit.

Is 1/4” diamond plate enough for decking?

How wide should we make the deck?

How much ground clearance do you need in the tail to get in and out of driveways?

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

51" is not enough swing room for the trailer. It "can" work most of the time but as soon as you get into a dip/turn your trailer nose will exceed that 51" in MOST cases. And even if your current trailer will work, what about your next one? Or resale? Because I would never buy a truck that was that tight....but that is just me. I personally consider 56" the minimum for most trailer clearances. At that you should be fine in almost every circumstance.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks,

Will make the Center of pin 137" which leaves 64" for gator and 56" for hitch. Will cut the belting 6" wide and drill holes to go thru the U Clamps that hold the 4" C channel to the truck frame to keep it from wiggling out. We were planning on making the deck 101" inches wide, which would leave 1/2 inch on each side to put rain covers over the side doors (similar to the doors on Jacks) will that work?

Bob

Bob&Kay

MORE Weight Randy!

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. One thing you might want to design in is step(s) an each side of the deck. I mounted steps to line up with the bottom cab steps, and it sure makes getting up or even reaching stuff on the deck a lot easier. Now if I just had a hand rail...

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I forget about weight. Our truck is still tandem and needs to be because of the weight we carry on the truck. A Forester, RZR, 2 100 gallon water tanks, 30 gallons of gas for toys, generator, 5 large tool boxes, and spare propane. We went with 1/4" plate and wish it was 3/16".

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Truck singled mid to carry a Smart and a 16 inch deep drom behind the cab.

DSC_0059.JPG

Sonshine%252520Express%2525201_c.JPG

Here's the dimensions.

brett%252520truck%252520assy%252520jpeg%

And that's how we built it.

brett%252520truck%252520assy%252520jpeg%

Everything was done with 2 x 3 tubing 3/16 wall, laying flat on the rails and vertical across, giving you the necessary 5 inch overall deck height.

1/4 inch deck plate is an overkill 3/16 is all you need..

I forget about weight. Our truck is still tandem and needs to be because of the weight we carry on the truck. A Forester, RZR, 2 100 gallon water tanks, 30 gallons of gas for toys, generator, 5 large tool boxes, and spare propane. We went with 1/4" plate and wish it was 3/16".

Unfortunately I order 1/4 plate. Why do you wish you went with 3/16? It weighs 360 lbs./sheet, which would add about 1100 lbs. to the deck. Do I have to worry about to much weight?

MORE Weight Randy!

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. One thing you might want to design in is step(s) an each side of the deck. I mounted steps to line up with the bottom cab steps, and it sure makes getting up or even reaching stuff on the deck a lot easier. Now if I just had a hand rail...

If all works as planned we will leave the factory molded fairing steps. What would you use for a hand rail and how would you mount it?

Henry

Thank you for the drawings. I wish I new how to use a cad program! Installed the hitch yesterday 144.5" from BOC

Thanks everyone

Bob

Bob&Kay

We also used 3/16 diamond plate steel and the center between frame rails is removable 3/16 aluminum dimond plate. I very rarely but sometimes haul my 71 bronco on the bed. So we put cross beams in where the tires sit on the bed for extra strength.

Nothing wrong with 1/4 plate. Just more weight and money. I took my bed off for paint that's another time you start thinking about weight and how you will remove and install it.

Only a hair over 81 lbs difference between 3/16" and 1/4" plate. We used thicker, partly due to better local pricing, and partly to add some weight to make the rear suspension work. The prior deck was a little light, and the bobtail ride was less than spectacular.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hooked up the trailer and went for a quick ride around the block "WOW" what a ride! Why didn't we do this years ago!!! Wednesday Lucy will be off to the Volvo dealer to be reprogramed for a single drive axle. Does anyone have a list of the options or have suggestions for the ECM reprograming?

We want to thank everyone for your help and giving us the courage to purchase and convert this beautiful gentle giant!

B&K

Bob&Kay

Archived