The FCC is cracking down on annoying telemarketers and robo-calls

RV_

Wow, now a one strike rule, allowing Telcos to block robo calls, and other measures that put the bite back into do not call criteria are all in the article.

We've all heard that PayPal is messing around opening us up to all kinds of unasked for robocalls

Excerpt:

"Federal regulators are cracking down on unwanted telemarketing calls and text messages by implementing strict new rules on companies that make them and by giving Americans more ways to refuse them.

The measures approved by the Federal Communications Commission Thursday allow consumers to put a stop to telemarketing simply by telling the companies not to call again or by any other "reasonable way at any time," rather than having to file and mail complicated forms or jump through other hoops.

They also clear the way for telecom companies to use technologies designed to block autodialed calls and text messages. And they establish stricter definitions of autodialing so that telemarketers can't wriggle out of the rules."

Robo-calling has gotten some high-profile attention in recent weeks amid a decision by PayPal to update its corporate policies.

The company's new user agreement, which goes into effect July 1, requires its customers to receive robo-calls so that PayPal can update them on account activity and resolve disputes. But the policy also explicitly opens consumers up to promotions and surveys, and users must agree to the terms if they want to continue using PayPal.

The only way to opt out of receiving the calls is to write to PayPal's customer service, but that still requires customers to agree to the new terms of service. The FCC said that the move has inspired "serious concerns" at the agency and could run afoul of its existing regulations on robo-calling."

Much more and links in the full article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/18/the-fcc-is-cracking-down-on-annoying-telemarketers-and-robo-calls/?wpisrc=nl_tech&wpmm=1

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

How many years have we been hearing that they are clamping down on telemarketing and now robo calls. They always manage to find a way around the rules.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ken,

Read the article. They did because the country was unaware. Now the whole country is rallying behind the FCC. We know who voted which way on what legislation. We can re-elect them if they represented our views and interests. Or replace them regardless of how much more we hear their paid off ads.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

With caller I.D., if I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. If it shows up as unknown, I don't answer. If it's important enough it'll go to voice mail. I have a very short list of people I want to talk with anyway.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I get an almost daily robo call that hangs up at 10 AM. It stopped suddenly in the last few days. The number was "spoofed" every time, and came from a different area code each time. By spoofed I mean it was when called back a number that did not exist. We'll see what happens. If this did the trick I'm all for it anyway.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I'm hopeful the new rules will be effective, but just in case, we've had good luck using "nomorobo.com" with our VOIP phone service, and the "Call Blocker - Blacklist" app on our Android phones.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived