$7500 for new roof?

1toomanyhobbies

I purchased a used 2008 DRV 36RE last November. I traveled a 1000 miles to a dealer that had a good reputation. I had a leak in the roof ever since I got it home and have had it recauked each time. The last time they stripped it down and found out that there is a front and back part to the roof and about 1 inch between. There is a piece that covers the two parts but in most cases the part is not wide enough. The caucking ends up cracking due to flex and therefore the leak.

The dealer I bought it from says it is manufacturer defect and therfore not there issue. The DRV manufacturer won't return my calls. The DRV dealer in NC said it is a known design issue but DRV won't fix. He said 1000 best case but most likely it will be $7500 for a new roof.

Does anyone have any advice? I have to get this fixed because the leak is now worse. The DRV dealer is 200 miles away. Should I take it to a DRV dealer or just any dealer with a good reputation? Speaking of which, does anyone have recommendations for in NC? I am currently located near Durham.

Wow! sorry to hear that but even more shocking that the roof is 2 piece and DRV won't return your calls as the "defect" is a well documented one. I wouldn't expect them to eat the repair, but I sure would expect a return call and consideration on the repair. Very disheartening to hear. Let us know how it goes.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Since you're so far out of any warranty I would find a shop nearby and have them do it. DRV might do it for a decent price if you take the trip to Howe, IN but I tend to doubt it. No harm trying though.

Email DRV. They suck at returning calls but do answer emails. Here are some email addresses for them. Try Ed Fry or Greg Weldon. I'm not sure if this is all up to date. I know Kyle Miller was promoted.

Contacting DRV

If you know the persons name, you can email them at DRV. The form for email address is: FirstnameLastname @DRVSuites.com. Below are some current names and addresses to make contact -

gregvaughn@DRVSuites.com

gregweldon@DRVSuites.com

edfry@DRVSuites.com

scotthamilton@DRVSuites.com

kylemiller@DRVSuites.com

kyleadams@DRVSuites.com

donnagould@DRVSuites.com

chadolinger@DRVSuites.com

2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 w/ Hydra Lift motorcycle lift, MorRyde IS suspension, MorRyde hitch pin

2013 Ford F450 w/ Trailer Saver air hitch

2011 BMW R1200RT motorcycle

You need to know that since Jan. 5, 2015 the company that built your RV, called DRV has been taken over by Thor Industries, so they may have very little interest in your RV that was built by the old company. With it now 9+ years old, there must have been an answer to the problem back when it was new, as leaks for that long would have caused obvious damage to the interior. It may well be that a previous owner either damaged the roof or somehow removed the piece that once covered the gap.

Did you have the RV professionally inspected before you purchased it? If you did that inspector probably carries insurance to cover any liability he would have so that may be a way to get some help. The dealer that you bought it from probably sold it to you "as is" or without any warranty so likely has no legal liability for any repairs. He may even have taken it in trade on a new RV with no knowledge of the problem that you now have. Because it has worked for almost 10 years, I must believe that there is, or at least was an answer to the problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Yarome. If the roof is not rotted I would fill the gap with something and apply Eternabond tape. Should be good for a long time. Even in the interim while you are pondering your choices do the Eternebond repair to at least stop the leak.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Rhino Linings also does roof coatings for RV's. Check out the attached link

http://www.leisuretimerv.com/PartsService/RhinoLiningVehicleProtection/tabid/28057/Default.aspx

X2 - I have researched this extensively and will be having a Rhino Lining installed (Sprayed :rolleyes: ) on our new cardinal before it leaves the dealership!

Not only is it a lifetime warranty against cracks/leaks, the materials in the roof coating insulate and provide up to a 20 degree reduction in interior temperatures.

Prices seem to vary but @ $125-$150 a linear foot seems to be the going rate.

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

The only issue I have with Rhino lining an RV roof is the fact that sometimes the things that stick up above the rook need to be removed and replaced. I have no problem getting some butyl rubber caulk and self leveling lap sealant and replacing the items. If the Rhino is covering the antenna base and roof vent flanges, if they get damaged by a branch or whatever, how would we remove them then seal the replacement? Don't get me wrong I have had all my truck beds rhino lined and had the top rails and tailgate top done too. No way that could be removed from my bed in my first truck or this one. if they removed all the roof items and then put them back on top of the Rhino lining, with tape and self leveling/lap sealant that might be OK. And if I had no issue about cost and rarely did repairs myself that may be the ticket or later not. I'll check out the link and see if they give any pics of it being done and what they do for prep. I'd definitely put on my roof vent covers and install any possible future power vents beforehand if they apply it over the flanges and up the sides. I know we can Rhino line anything. I just would not want to have to R&R anything after. I like the idea of the extra insulation too. I just had my EPDM replaced by a commercial roofer with TPO and heat sealed sections with commercial water block and dang if it did not go through the torrential rains of the last months with flooding and nary a drop leaked. instead of $ 6000-7500.00 it was $2800. and done well.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

- I have researched this extensively and will be having a Rhino Lining installed (Sprayed ) on our new cardinal before it leaves the dealership!

Does the installer remove the air conditioner, antenna, vent covers and such before spraying it on like the people who replace an EDPM roof do, so that you will be able to do replacements on those items at some future time if the need should arise? Things like a TV antenna do wear out and have to be replaced at times, as do the covers for the plumbing vents and several other types of roof penetrations in the course of normal maintenance of an RV.

Pictures of roof being done. Looks like they do remove the AC's, refrigerator vents.

But leave regular vent covers on and spray over TV antenna connections.

Video on how it is done. He does state rubber roofs only last 8 years then need replaced. :rolleyes:

They probably didn't do any research on how long a average rubber roof last. :rolleyes:

Guess I am lucky that my roof put on in Aug. 1998 almost 17 years ago is still leak free and has outlasted 2 of those 8 year roofs. :D

It also has a few more years left in it today. :) I do wash it twice a year with a power washer and no soap, brush or protectant used.

Here is another one that has Lifetime NO Leak Guarantee and then state it will last only 10-15 years. confused.gif

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Probably would add more $$$ to a unit above the rubber roofs or other types.

And after 10 years they want you to trade up anyway.

369070033.jpg

I have seen a 5er manufacturer offer it as an OEM option, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was now.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

the materials in the roof coating insulate and provide up to a 20 degree reduction in interior temperatures.

It doesn't insulate hardly any by the material thickness. They are saying the shiny material reflects the sun off it to make it 20% cooler.

Then a Black roof? They don't say cooler then what, to get their 20%. Probably does help make some sales.

What % does a white rubber roof make a RV cooler? What percent difference in cooling are they between a Rino & a white Rubber roof?

May be hard to measure.

369070033.jpg

Biker loved your link, and link the video. I bet that sucker is expensive but it is white, and Rhino had a white in their color choices but I couldn't find it anymore. I just commercially reroofed mine with TPO. We had torrential rains and flooding since and it is great. Will their water block sealant and commercial heat seaming etc. last? $2800 instead of $7000.00.

For six or seven grand an older RV is not worth re-roofing to me unless you get a steal as I did. However as an option for a new buyer that coating in your link looks to be as close to perfect as it can be. The only question I have is how much extra money, and how much extra weight. I really like the toughness of TPO. I'll report back in ten years when I'm 73.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

They are saying the shiny material reflects the sun off it to make it 20% cooler.

Then a Black roof? They don't say cooler then what, to get their 20%. Probably does help make some sales.

Most likely it is pure sales hype or what the marketing industry calls "puffery."

I've done some investigating on this subject. What I found was that the Rhino guarantee last I checked was only good at the place it was put on. The LineX guarantee is good at any LineX dealer. They all now seem to come in colors. I saw one motorhome whose roof was white, while the radii(radius's?) we're color matched. He even had the front of the coach done. I will say they did a great job matching the color. There's a few other spray on's like www.rvroof.com that look pretty good, and they also have a lifetime guarantee against leaks, and can color match. I wouldn't be surprised that more & more RV manufacturer's will be offering it in the future. $7,000 seems pretty excessive, I was quoted $3,200 to have mine done(38') from www.rvroofarmor.com. They will come to you to do the work. That sure would be convenient, especially if I was sitting say in Florida for the winter.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Eternabond it. You can multilayer it.

The best solution IMO. Eternabond may be purchases in 2, 4, and 6" wide rolls. You might find the Eternabond video library informative. The roof surface must be cleaned and primed first, then Eternabond applied. It's all in the video library.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 year later...

We are in St Augustine, FL for the winter and plan to get the RV Flexarmor roof job done in Green Cove Springs in the next month or two. We stopped by their shop earlier today and spoke with the owner, David. The advantage of their coating is that is stays flexible even in extremely cold conditions. They had a piece that I could tie in a knot. This is apparently one big advantage over Rhino and LInux products which tend to become stiffer with age. This was the problem Excel had with the Rhino roof option when they offered it.

The process takes 2 1/2 days for a normal job (no slides and very little roof undersheathing repair. Weight it adds is about 150lbs for a 40' RV roof but the removal of the EPDM old roof brings the net weight gain down considerably.

They put on all new vents, both air and sewer. Replacing Fantastic - type fans is an option depending on existing wiring.

They can spray on their system over existing fixed roof skylights, like over a shower or just seal them in and leave the top exposed. Sprayed over, makes it dark inside but you can step on the dome and it will not break. They put on New MaxxAir vent covers over all vents that are openable (crank or electric). The reseal of sewer vents is completely over the whole base so there is no place for water to go into or in-around the vent unit. The vent cap, which is normally removable still is and can be replaced as needed over time. I am looking into a metal version for longevity. Plastic gets brittle over time.

The spray completely covers all exposed roof penetrations including the screws for the drainage rails on the sides.So all water must go into the j-rail or over it.

I need to replace the cables to the crankup dish and the Batwing before taking it over to them. and I Want to add a couple of through the roof conduits for future wiring convenience before they spray, too.

One thing I have always been concerned about is damage from falling things, like hail or limbs. I am certain that these are not likely future sources of damage with this product.

The Sq footage estimate is $5900 for my 40' 5th wheel but when I take it in, they will go over it carefully to see what that actual work is going to be and also check out my slides for what they can do (@$20/sq ft) for me. Ultimately, they will give me an out the door price based on the work before I sign.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Here's RV Armor who also coats RV roofs and supplies a lifetime warranty. They come to your site to perform the work. Greg

http://rv-armor.com/index.html?gclid=CJf6jcGR3sYCFQYoaQodspoOsQ

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

FYI: There was a guy that came to Evergreen Coho park in Chimacum, WA that rolled on the RV-ARMOR material, reinforced places where it would need it with a polyester fabric mesh. His price was $1000 to do my 40' roof and slide roofs. While what he uses is the commercial grade of these materials, it is nowhere as thick as RV Flex Armor, even with the polyester reinforcing fiber in the mix.

The RV Flex armor is a spray on and cures in 6 seconds so it can be applied to vertical surfaces without running.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived