AC stops cooling

Ronbo

2000 Kenworth T2000. Previous owner stated he had ac rebuilt. When it cools it cools very well. Occasionally, not all the time, it will stop cooling out the front. The rear ac continues to blow cool air. The front fan continues to operate. The freon tube to the rear ac is cold and sweaty, but the line to the front is not cool.

I am thinking the front evaporator coil has an intermittent obstruction. What do the experts think? I will probably replace it this winter.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I will try that next time. I want to be sitting still so I can see if water runs out. When not cooling I get no water out the front but I do out the back.

Ron C.

Could just be low.

If your front system uses an orifice tube, but the rear uses expansion valve, what you describe would be a result of low charge. The expansion valve is much more adaptive to under/overcharge. All the automotive dual systems I have worked on are like this.

I had my system apart tonight fixing a small leak back at the sleeper and inspecting the office tube trying to get it colder for the trip to the rally.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Ron,

Mine did that for a while also. Would blow warm air and fan would decrease in speed. Checked all of the above suggestions and ended up taking my panel controls out and cleaning them per RandyA's write up. Problem solved. Apparently the controls are a rheostat which can get gummed up and not work properly. Now mine is a Volvo so might not be same controls. Just a thought.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The fan operates properly. The freon is not moving to the front evaporator as the tube where it y's off isnt cold when it is acting up. I will add some freon and see if that helps.

Ron C.

Archived