Truma Continuous Hot Water System

I've been testing the Truma continuous hot water system in our new RV for two months now. We have always liked the "idea" of continuous hot water in an RV - but the available systems left something to be desired. Mostly, you had to fiddle with them too much for our requirements. The Truma has overcome most of the issues with using the continuous hot water systems in RVs.

My complete test report is HERE.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Nice write up Jack. It is basically what I was hoping/expecting to hear after my research.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks Jack,

Excellent review and topic. Back when we were full time we dreamed of a water heater without all the issues of the early models. Looks like he time has come.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Nice write up Jack. Before the Truma, were you primarily using propane for hot water? And if so how much of a drop in propane usage did you see because of not having a system that had to keep the water hot all the time? How large is your propane tank? I'm assuming that you get refilled from a truck since it would be a bit of a pain to take your rig to be filled. I've also been reluctant to invest in any of the current systems available because of all the negatives. This might be the one.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I wonder how much it would cost to replace our instant hot water system with this one? Although we've learned to live with it, I still don't like it and would have preferred the old fashioned 6-gallon water heater!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Nice write up Jack. Before the Truma, were you primarily using propane for hot water? And if so how much of a drop in propane usage did you see because of not having a system that had to keep the water hot all the time? How large is your propane tank? I'm assuming that you get refilled from a truck since it would be a bit of a pain to take your rig to be filled. I've also been reluctant to invest in any of the current systems available because of all the negatives. This might be the one.

Honestly, I cannot tell you how much less/more propane we use. The usage is minimal, for sure, because it is hard to determine exactly how much I'm using. To me it is simply not a factor, given that it is hard to measure.

Our trailer uses two 40 lb bottles. I don't seem to be filling them any differently than in the past. Either more, or less. But it is hard to really put an exact number on it - because cooking and heating comes out of the same bottles. Bottom line for ME: propane usage is not a factor.

Linda, I believe the MSRP on the unit I have is $1200.....but I have to confirm that. Of course actual pricing will be quite a bit lower. I think they are in the $900 range on the New Horizons options sheet.....I'll have to look it up.

Glenn, I've asked Truma for a list of retail dealers.....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Ok, I verified the price with Truma - the Comfort is $1199 MSRP.

The dealer network is available on their website...simply put in your country origin. There are about 25 dealers across the US/Canada at the moment, and more are being added. Of course, the unit is also available in many new RVs, including select Winnebago lines. And also in New Horizons.

There is no retail market at the moment - it MUST be dealer installed. No DIY.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Get a dealer to order it for you and hand it over for you to install.

I can understand not wanting to ship to individuals but once their volume and name recognition goes up they may start using a distributor and or catalog sales places.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Get a dealer to order it for you and hand it over for you to install.

I can understand not wanting to ship to individuals but once their volume and name recognition goes up they may start using a distributor and or catalog sales places.

Yes, I believe that is the way it will go, Stan. For now they have all they can handle getting a dealer network up and running.....and they are primarily targeting OEM sales, as you would expect.

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

I thought it might be useful for a followup report on our experiences with the Truma.

In a nutshell.....I have nothing negative to report. It operates exactly like you would hope it would, under all conditions we have encountered. No change from what is noted in the test report. We are 100% satisfied. I've never used a continuous hot water heater that operated this well. (The only exception to that would be the Aqua Hot, which is combination hot water and heat. It operates very well.).

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived