N00b question - how far can it stick out from the sides?

remoandiris

Had a friend in CA stopped for 5 feet over length. He was told he could not go any further without unhooking the trailer he was towing or getting a permit for over length. The truck was at Freightliner conversion motorhome towing a small toy hauler trailer.

Before I had my HDT. I used my ford super (lemon) duty to tow a 28ft 5vr

Pulling a 16ft car trailer with my kids desert toys on it.

After five years of no problems I had a CHP stop me to check my CDL.

He was a little bummed when I had the proper licensing Thought he had me.

But after checking and finding everything was okay and I had proper hitch and safety chain attachments on second trailer he let me go with a handshake and a smile and have a nice day and a safe trip.

And before anybody asks no I would never pull doubles behind a pick up again. I would behind my peterbilt but only if length was legal. And second trailer was in fact a trailer not a toad.

When length was a issue........we had a couple of cab-overs.........not many RV-HDT consider the COE option but it likely makes more sense than a Auto-Slider-Hitch.

Jeff and a couple of other Cab-Overs seem pretty content and it sure helps with the length issues..........

"Grumps" would say........"truckers don't like COE because if you had a few too many beers you could miss the side-step down and land-on-your-kister"..........now that I am a old geezer....... I can land-on-my-kister WITHOUT any beer..........

Drive on.........( short-n-sweet........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Over width or over length or a ladder on my toy hauler. At this stage of my life I am trying to minimize stress and problems. I don't know about most people but if I know that I am to wide or long every time I see a patrol car or scale or any other law enforcement I would tend to worry. I even worry taking a bag of garbage to the transfer station in my pickup. It can be considered an unsecured load. $700 fine here. I do not like to get stopped at any time let alone when I am knowing in the wrong.

I was chased down last fall for not stopping at a scale [horse issue]. Now when hauling horses I stop at scales that direct me to. Most others hauling horses don't even think about stopping.

To get stopped for over width and be out of service on the side of the road is not my idea of stress free traveling. It would be up to the LEO how this is handled and that is the problem, it may not be as simple as a ticket and you are on your way. It could be having to unload and find alternate transport such as a very expensive tow truck for a Razer and storage etc.

I do enough wrong unintentionally without knowingly looking for trouble.

As I said just stress reduction.

X2 Shallow for sure........

When you have a horse(s) in your RV life it's a whole another ball game.......

Sometimes you get stopped just so that LEO can check-out the horse(s) , horse-paperwork, is your hay certified weed-free, etc, etc.....

Most likely the horse(s) issues are OK then it is a pretty easy step-back to take a gander at the tow-rig and trailer so it is best to be legal with the rig. Horse-papers list the horse legal owner and that settles any question that the horse haul is a private haul.....folks that haul others horses have to be careful not to cross into a commercial haul operation........

The funny thing is that we have THREE horse trailer units and our latest is a toy-hauler-with-removable_horse-module and with this trailer we have never been stopped since no one knows that we have a horse on board.....we do stop where ever "livestock" inspections are required.

Over length and over width seems like a odd-higher stress way to have a RV life.........

Drive 0n.......(low-stress.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived