N00b question - how far can it stick out from the sides?

remoandiris

I am considering a HDT. The appeal is being able to carry a RZR (perpendicular) on the bed. But, I haven't found specific info on how far the load can stick out from the bed.

Obviously I don't want anything hanging so far out it attracts LEO interest. I just want to be legal. Maany RZRs (and the like) are too long, but I have seen a few that are similar in length to Smart cars.

Anyone know of a site (or sites) that specify how wide a load can be before it breaks the rules?

We carry a RZR across the bed. It is 102" long which is legal width for interstates and many other roads. This is the same width as most semi trailers and not as wide or long as most smart cars. There are longer RZRs but these are overwidth if carried across the bed. I have seen UTVs up to 9' carried across the bed but that is overwidth and the owners were careful as to where they traveled to try to avoid problems.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We have a 800 RZR. 102" long and 50" wide. The 50" wide is required on a lot of Nation Forest Service trails in the Rockies. We also carry a Forester length wise above the RZR with the roll bar removed.

The small RZR is the only UTV that I know of that is 102" long. I haven't checked the new dimensions but I believe the 102" model was available thru at least 2013. We used 102" ramps stored under the RZR to load it. I made some cones for the front tires to fit into to stop us at the right spot and hold the front stable during transport.

Randy

Our RZR is 112" long and we carry it crosswise on our bed. Five years without a problem. It is not as wide as the mirrors so I never worry about it.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

I haven't checked the new dimensions but I believe the 102" model was available thru at least 2013.

According to the specs on Polaris' site, new 2-seat models are now 105 and 107. Obviously 4-pax models are longer. I'm with you on the 50". Lots of state atv trails are maxed at 50", too.

Any "load", not mirrors but "load" that stick over the side of the vehicle more than 4" requires a flag on the "load" by both Texas law and the Federal code (for CMV's). It doesn't matter that the mirrors extend further. As Randy said, 102" is the max width on the interstate and many states just follow that as their state law. I am sure there are a few that differ but probably not by much. And speaking only for myself, a 112" load would be enough to catch my attention as it went by me.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Any "load", not mirrors but "load" that stick over the side of the vehicle more than 4" requires a flag on the "load" by both Texas law and the Federal code (for CMV's). It doesn't matter that the mirrors extend further. As Randy said, 102" is the max width on the interstate and many states just follow that as their state law. I am sure there are a few that differ but probably not by much. And speaking only for myself, a 112" load would be enough to catch my attention as it went by me.

Ditto what Big5er said. You are pushing the envelope with a Smart. I would not haul a 112" vehicle crossways unless it was on a slope to compensate for the length. In California you would definitely get a talking to by someone. :P

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Before I had to jump into this CDL business, I spoke to the Weigh Scale people and was told that here in BC, Canada, the limit was 102" except for mirrors which could extend out 20 cm or 8" and were not considered in the 102. as well as that, mirrors would always stick out beyond the load, even overwidth loads.

His words were that the only way you could carry something like that was to shorten it some how. His comment was idiotic saying run it into a wall on both ends. Overload permits are available but I don't know about a one time yearly fee. May be worth checking.

What has always worried me is what about in the case of an accident.. would the overwidth cause problems with the insurance provider. Would the other party look for an issue like this and what could they do with it. Believe me, if a Gen 2 would work, I would have one. The Gen 1's require a lot of service and maintenance.

Here in BC, with a vehicle and trailer setup, if either the truck or the trailer has air, a CDL is required.

I pulled a 10' wide boat here in Calif. and got a annual over width permit for $95 and yr. Just put a oversize load sign on the back and away I went.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

The only problem with a permit is that they are not good everywhere. A State permit is good on State roads and interstates, some counties in Texas require a County permit once you get off the state roads, and some counties do not. And of course then you need one for each state you plan to travel in and what are their laws?? IMHO, an overwidth banner is just asking to get stopped :D

If you pull from home to the same spot or two everytime then you know the area and the local laws. But for "traveling", getting permits would be a pain in the butt.

2014 smart Fortwo

As Big5er said permits are required and if you try to travel through a lot of states it is very difficult. There are companies that specialize in permits. It is almost impossible to figure what permits are needed and the cost can add up quickly. The only thing more costly is a ticket for overwidth without the proper permit.

Randy

Not a RZR but carry a long travel Rhino sideways on my bed. We custom built the rear rollbar cage bumper and bed to be removable to get down to 102" wide. Easy to come apart but still more to do when setting up camp.

Tried couple times hauling it with out taking apart And I can't see around it.

Plan this summer is to eliminate the bed and rebuild roll cage to be a little shorter.

I definitely recommend Not hauling anything over with overwidth.

You can't control how other people drive and if somebody hit it. You would be held liable could get very ugly.

From my experience, overdimension permits are only issued for loads that cannot be loaded in a manner which would be legal width. In this example the new rzr is 105" long and only 50"wide, therefore it "could" be loaded lengthwise and be underwidth(50")and would be ineligible for a permit. They do not usually care if your truck is only capable of hauling the load crossways.

LOL good point Porky. I was so busy looking at the trees I forgot to look at the forest. You are absolutely correct.

2014 smart Fortwo

I travel all the western states and never get a second look. I am in Cali all the time and with the 55MPH speed limit the state patrol pass me all the time. Never have had an issue even at 67' long.

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black

I travel all the western states and never get a second look. I am in Cali all the time and with the 55MPH speed limit the state patrol pass me all the time. Never have had an issue even at 67' long.

Most LEO's in California, unless they are specifically commercial enforcement trained, have no idea about over length/over width/over weight or other commercial issues. Even the typical CHP officer, unless they have been to commercial enforcement school, will usually not know about these violations and all they deal with are traffic issues. The vehicle code book in California is about 3 inches thick and there are so many other available violations out there that commercial violations get very little notice other than in and around scales in California. Even then it will be way less likely around the scale than at the scale because the commercial guys have too much work at the scale.

Notice I say typical officer. One day a commercial enforcement officer will be tooling by you and you may not be so lucky. But because there are very few commercial enforcement trained officers, your luck may hold and this day may never come. My department used to send some of our traffic officers to commercial enforcement school and go after commercial violations, but not anymore. We haven't had a commercial enforcement trained officer in 15+ years.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Most LEO's in California, unless they are specifically commercial enforcement trained, have no idea about over length/over width/over weight or other commercial issues. Even the typical CHP officer, unless they have been to commercial enforcement school, will usually not know about these violations and all they deal with are traffic issues. The vehicle code book in California is about 3 inches thick and there are so many other available violations out there that commercial violations get very little notice other than in and around scales in California. Even then it will be way less likely around the scale than at the scale because the commercial guys have too much work at the scale.

Notice I say typical officer. One day a commercial enforcement officer will be tooling by you and you may not be so lucky. But because there are very few commercial enforcement trained officers, your luck may hold and this day may never come. My department used to send some of our traffic officers to commercial enforcement school and go after commercial violations, but not anymore. We haven't had a commercial enforcement trained officer in 15+ years.

My SNL and I were both stopped for pulling double trailers by a CHP officer. As you say Chad he wasn't up on the laws, but he did notice that one of our trailers were over 28'. He pulled over my SNL and by the time I stopped and walked up to them my SNL had already pi$$ed off the officer by telling him he know all the laws and he had all the license. I listened for a minute and then told the officer to give him a ticket. The officer lightened up then and gave us a warning and sent us on our way.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Over width or over length or a ladder on my toy hauler. At this stage of my life I am trying to minimize stress and problems. I don't know about most people but if I know that I am to wide or long every time I see a patrol car or scale or any other law enforcement I would tend to worry. I even worry taking a bag of garbage to the transfer station in my pickup. It can be considered an unsecured load. $700 fine here. I do not like to get stopped at any time let alone when I am knowing in the wrong.

I was chased down last fall for not stopping at a scale [horse issue]. Now when hauling horses I stop at scales that direct me to. Most others hauling horses don't even think about stopping.

To get stopped for over width and be out of service on the side of the road is not my idea of stress free traveling. It would be up to the LEO how this is handled and that is the problem, it may not be as simple as a ticket and you are on your way. It could be having to unload and find alternate transport such as a very expensive tow truck for a Razer and storage etc.

I do enough wrong unintentionally without knowingly looking for trouble.

As I said just stress reduction.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Hey Chad you keep saying commercial enforcement. Since my truck is titled as a Motor Coach I think they have many more commercial trucks to worry about then my private RV. If I pulled the front and rear bumpers off the RZR it would be legal. Not going to waste my time every weekend installing and removing bumpers.

2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Hey Chad you keep saying commercial enforcement. Since my truck is titled as a Motor Coach I think they have many more commercial trucks to worry about then my private RV. If I pulled the front and rear bumpers off the RZR it would be legal. Not going to waste my time every weekend installing and removing bumpers.

This is why I always give qualifiers in these conversations. Most LEO's don't ever deal with these issues so they are typically not up on all the relevant statutes. The commercial enforcement officers deal with these issues regularly and are very knowledgeable about the statutes, but they have plenty of commercial vehicles to deal with so they won't typically bother an RV or someone pulling an RV. This doesn't mean that they won't stop you and cite you, it just means that you are less likely to get stopped and cited. I personally try not to do anything that will bring the attention of a "CHiPy" when I am driving. They have no qualms about stopping and citing anyone. It is their primary function and what they are paid to do. I would rather have them do it to someone else instead of me.

event.png    

Go check out the length thread. As it has been mentioned there, a member here was stopped for no other reason than a commercial enforcement officer thought they looked a bit over length and he measured and cited them for 68 ft, 3 ft over the legal length in Texas. So it does and can happen...and no, it is not just a rumor I personally know both the member and the officer.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived