Rotating Tires

SWharton

We were looking underneath our new MH yesterday and realized that we have 4 aluminum and 2 steel tires. This really hampers tire rotation each year. I understand why, don't necessarily agree, we have 2 steel tires.

Owners of Class A: Do you rotate your tires and how often?

Never have rotated as they will age out before wore out.

Unless you have a alignment problem on the front tires.

I run mine to the 10-11 year age.

If you feel the need to rotate, just move the steel inside ones to the other side.

Michelin 6 tire rotation Tires should be rotated every six months or 6,000 to 8,000 miles.

That will get very $$$ expensive if you can't do it yourself.

By Michelin you will need to unmount the 2 steel and 2 of the aluminum ones to do their rotation.

But Michelin also says after the tires are 5 years old. They need to be unmounted to see if they are still good anyway.

You could start a poll on how many rotate tires on a Class A

I would bet that 99% + don't. But I could be wrong.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

With dual tires, once matched are critical that they remain together throughout their lives because even a small variation in diameter will cause a significant load shift from the small tire to the larger one, causing it to be overloaded. If you feel that you must rotate then side to side is the only way to rotate dual pairs.Tire experts that I have talked with do not advise rotation of motorhome tires,

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes Jim it is. Especially after 40 years of trailering moving to a MH is the same but different. Had our first experience with a MH problem. The one hydraulic line developed a bubble(under warranty), called up and the dealer said bring it in which I could understand. Checked it in at service, they didn't even go out and look at the MH and its problem. Then came the ringer: 2-4 weeks before the line would be in. Yikes!!!! I should have checked how much it would have been to have it made locally. We are not using the MH so it is no big deal, I was just surprised the the mfg. wouldn't have it in stock, after all they use the hydraulics on a majority of their MHs.

Many a time we would stop at our trailer mfg and pick up a part or 2, they always had them in stock. In our experience so far, dealing with the mfg and a vendor we have not been impressed and this is a major mfg. The trailering world seems to have their act together better.

With dual tires, once matched are critical that they remain together throughout their lives because even a small variation in diameter will cause a significant load shift from the small tire to the larger one, causing it to be overloaded. If you feel that you must rotate then side to side is the only way to rotate dual pairs.Tire experts that I have talked with do not advise rotation of motorhome tires,

I agree! The standard is no more than 1/4" difference in diameter for duals on the same side. Even road crown can cause an inner dual tire to be overloaded, if the owner only inflates tires to the minimum for the load, as stated in load/inflation charts.

references:

http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/story/2014/01/two-for-the-price-of-one.aspx

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/misc_pdf/minDualSpacing.pdf

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 year later...

Thanks everybody for the feedback. My wife and I bought new Goodyear tires for our 26' Winnebago Class A - Sightseer and just came back from Alaska after putting 5,000+ miles on the tires. I figured that like a car I should rotate and check the alignment, particularly with the rough roads, but it looks like tire rotationis not an issue. Thanks all for your sage advice.

Happy Trails - Pete and Rita

Archived