Anyone doing some international travel?

Kirk W

I know that this is mostly for RV related subjects, but since other forums seem to wander far from subjects that are so related, I thought that I might ask here about something we are about to embark upon. Just wondering about others who have recent experience with international air travel? We have driven and walked across the borders to our adjacent neighbors but are about to venture off by air and it brings some new experiences, since we've not done any of this in a very long time.

Has anyone traveled using electronic visa's for entry to countries visited? Also we will only be on our second trip by air using the electronic tickets and boarding passes so are pretty new to that as well. I'd be very interested in hearing some experiences and any suggestions from those on the forums who have done this recently.

Thanks for any thoughts! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'd be very interested in hearing some experiences and any suggestions from those on the forums who have done this recently.

Where are you headed and what is it that you wanted to know? All in all, it's pretty slick these days. There are several programs, like TSA precheck and global entry, in place that can help cut down your airport time, but if it's just a one time trip then it probably isn't worth the effort to apply.

It's a good idea to make a photocopy of your travel documents to keep in your luggage. It depends on where you are going, but it's becoming more common place to be fingerprinted and photographed at foreign customs, but only on your first entry. You might want to check to see if your destination has any exit fees, but more often than not they are now included in your ticket price so it isn't necessary to have foreign curreny on hand at your time of departure. Other than that I can't really think of anything else that's changed all that much.

Prepare your patience as you will need it. As said above, make a copy of your passport that you keep separate from your real documents documents and carry the copy on your person unless the cruise line or country to which you are traveling says otherwise. Also, leave a copy with close friends or family members. Check that e-ticket to see if it says "TSA Pre" on it; if so you can go through security lines without taking jackets or shoes off. Otherwise, be prepared to take off shoes , jackets, and hatstwenty-four hours before departure, go on-line via you airline carrier and check-in and print a hard copy of your boarding passes. (You can download electronically to your Smart Phone but if you are neophytes a hard copy will be closer to your comfort zone). Once you get to the airport, go to the line that says you have a pre-printed boarding pass. Go up to the kiosk/monitor and scan your ticket by holding it so that the machine reader can scan it with a light reader (just like the supermarket). Don't worry, the attendant will help you.

Your electronic visas should be in the country you are visitings system but also pack a printed copy with you.

Check your airline's policy on luggage fees; varies by class of ticket. Most international flights will allow you one checked bag plus a carry on and small bag for coach; more if business class or first class. Do remember that you have to lug those bags up and down stairs and in and out of shuttle buses so plan accordingly. A backpack is a good idea and doubles as the small bag; ladies can put their purse inside that. Check with the airline to see what toiletries and amenities they provide based on your class of ticket and then plan what you bring with you on board. Wear loose comfy clothing or layers of clothing that you are comfortable to sleep in and something to keep you warm as blankets (if traveling coach) are not always available for free. If you have an option of purchasing extra leg room and are traveling coach, I would highly recommend that - none of us getting any younger and extra comfort for long trips is worth it. If traveling business or first class, no worries!

We have done a reasonable amount of international travel and I have planned trips for ourselves and others, so if you would like more tips/recommendations just PM me and I will be happy to help. Shelley

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Wear short sleeves with a light jacket. You never know which places are going to be hot and which ones cold.

I wear dark socks so if I have to take off my shoes I don't get too grossed out by what the floors can do to socks.

If your bags don't have rollers, consider investing in a lightweight luggage cart. I have one that folds up small enough to fit into a large pocket on my carry on.

I carry an empty water bottle with the top removed when gong through security. Fill it once past there and have water on the plane without having to wait for an attendant.

Yoga pants and a pullover sports bra means no more metal setting off detectors other than that in my knees. And they are as comfortable as pajamas on the flight.

If you think you'll want to sleep on the flight try out sleep masks in advance. Some fit tightly enough to making blinking uncomfortable.

DreamSack makes a very nice blanket/sleeping bag that packs amazingly small.

None of this is what you asked but, hey, I'm on a roll here. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

For long hauls such as Europe get yourself a pair of Nu-Foot Slippers. Super comfortable on the plane and no worry about discomfort from swollen feet. We have used them on several trips to Europe and love them.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Great suggestions! I'll check out those slippers! I notice several different ones so did you get the specific one shown in that link?

We have not made one of the many hour long trips in years so there is much which has changed and all suggestions are welcomed! :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For long hauls such as Europe get yourself a pair of Nu-Foot Slippers. Super comfortable on the plane and no worry about discomfort from swollen feet. We have used them on several trips to Europe and love them.

These make me think of compression stockings for the feet. :) I can imagine my ankles swelling over the tops of them since my ankles do like to swell.

If you spend a lot of time walking barefoot or in socks these might work in airports as well as on the plane. But if you are used to having a heel on your shoe, be prepared for sore legs if you walk through a large airport wearing these. I would save them to wear on the plane but don't know when I would get enough leg space to change them. Maybe in the boarding lounge just before boarding? Then I'd need a place to stash the shoes I was wearing which are usually my biggest, heaviest shoes. So many things to consider.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I always wear a light jacket for air travel. When you go thru security put all your keys, wallet, loose objects in the pockets of the jacket and put it on the X Ray belt, much easier than trying to fish it all out of the little bin and put it back in individual pockets with a big crowd milling round. Wear slip on shoes not lace ups.

Take a Kindle or something to read, the movies if there are any might not be something you like.

Be patient, when you arrive at your destination you'll be tired, the immigration line can be long. Relax and watch the show! People watching is one of my favorite airport pastimes.

I always set my watch to the destinations time zone as soon as I take off, that lets me adjust to the time change more easily.

Don't set a busy schedule for the first couple of days, jet lag is still alive and well. Force yourself to stay awake until close to your regular bedtime when you get to your destination. Sleeping "Out of sync" with the local time always makes the jetlag last longer for me.

I travelled extensively for work for many years, these things worked for me.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I was unaware of electronic visas. I have used the electronic boarding pass just once and it was domestically by using the airlines app on my phone. Wifey uses phone app all the time for boarding pass (domestic flying).

I still like to have "paper" as backup though.

Be sure to check in with your bank before leaving and let them know where and when you will be out of country and which cards you will be using.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

These make me think of compression stockings for the feet. :) I can imagine my ankles swelling over the tops of them since my ankles do like to swell.

If you spend a lot of time walking barefoot or in socks these might work in airports as well as on the plane. But if you are used to having a heel on your shoe, be prepared for sore legs if you walk through a large airport wearing these. I would save them to wear on the plane but don't know when I would get enough leg space to change them. Maybe in the boarding lounge just before boarding? Then I'd need a place to stash the shoes I was wearing which are usually my biggest, heaviest shoes. So many things to consider.

Linda Sand

Not tight enough to cause swelling, the whole point is comfort, perfect for moving around in the plane, wash room, etc. We also use them for slippers in hotel rooms and you can even wear them in the shower if needed.

I'm 6'1", 230 and I have put them on in economy seats - not easy but doable! Never wear them in the terminal. Change after takeoff - you always want to keep your shoes on until the plane is in the air for safety reasons - and stuff your shoes under the seat in front of you. Change back before you land, again for safety.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Be sure to check in with your bank before leaving and let them know where and when you will be out of country and which cards you will be using.

X2. That's a biggy. Fraud protection has improved immensely, but It can bite you back. I learned that the hard way back in the day when banks were just starting to implement fraud protections. :P

On edit: One additional note along those same lines.. also check on your foreign transaction limits and adjust them accordingly with your bank. They can vary from what your use to in the States.

I remember the good old days when traveling on an airplane, (or even at the airport), everyone in site was dressed appropriately and respectful! Now the latest trend is to wear " booty shorts" and "flip flops" (women), or "saggy and baggy pants", with your "hat on backwards" (guys)!!

I miss the days when saying " excuse me", or "I'm sorry" was the social norm!!!

The Few

Archived