HDT Interior Upgrades

The Few

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have information on where Someone could find the cost or information to totally change the carpeting, headliner or seats to a HDT RV hauler??

Has anyone had their own custom interior done on their own truck??

We plan to buy a truck, but most used trucks have that "nasty" cigarette smoke smell, and I am afaid that simply fumigating or airing out the truck is just NOT an option for us!!

Thank you all!!

The Few

Same answer - find a nonsmoking truck. There are lots of them.

You "can" use extraction machines as well as shampoo to get the smell out of a smoking truck if it is not too bad.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Was warned, "this was a team truck with smokers driving it", figured I could deal with it, good truck cheap.

Big mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 years later it still stinks, hot days from air conditioning, cold days from heating system.

Yours truly never smoked, hard to learn how to tolerate it, even though father was heavy smoker, died from lung cancer at 55.

Lot's of stuff to replace and clean, headliners, walls, upholstery, all the ducts, etc. not worth it, buy a clean truck.

Same answer - find a nonsmoking truck. There are lots of them.

You "can" use extraction machines as well as shampoo to get the smell out of a smoking truck if it is not too bad.

Hmmmm, shampoo HUH??

Interesting concept that I never thought of..

Sounds pliable...

The Few

Would be much easier to find a non smoking truck. There are a lot of them out there. None of the ones we looked at had been smoked in.

Sorry I don't have an answer for your actual question.

Thank you very much for your honest opinion!!

The Few

Was warned, "this was a team truck with smokers driving it", figured I could deal with it, good truck cheap.

Big mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 years later it still stinks, hot days from air conditioning, cold days from heating system.

Yours truly never smoked, hard to learn how to tolerate it, even though father was heavy smoker, died from lung cancer at 55.

Lot's of stuff to replace and clean, headliners, walls, upholstery, all the ducts, etc. not worth it, buy a clean truck.

ABSOLUTELY perfect example of what I was talking about!!

Very good advise sir/ma'am, and I appreciate your time and comment!!!

The Few

My truck was originally smoked in. Two owners ago (LACoFDFireman) gutted it, employed some sort of ozone generator for a couple of weeks, some hospital-strength disinfectant, and completely replaced the carpeting and upholstery. He also repainted the cabinets and trim pieces. It came out very nice. The work was done in 2007, and the intermediate owner barely drove it over the 7 years he owned it, before I bought it last summer. Here is a report on the work that was done:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/photos-of-my-volvo-770-interior-makeover-take-a-look-page-2.23755/

and another with more information on what was done:

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/28011-photo-s-my-volvo-770-interior-makeover-take-look.html

This second link includes a link within one of the messages to the PhotoBucket album with lots of pictures of the end result.

My wife is an ex-smoker and is hyper-sensitive to the smell of smoke. She has spent time in the truck and doesn't detect any smell of smoke. But the removable window covers and seat covers, which I keep in the cubbies under the sleeper seats, have a strong odor of some sort of perfume, Febreze, disinfectant, or something similar. I suspect if I would just air them out, it would go away, as they stay tightly bundled all the time. The truck interior also has a faint odor of air freshener, but it doesn't bother me on trips.

My conclusion is that yes, it's possible to redo a truck interior and get rid of the smoking smell, but it's going to take a lot of time and money. I'm glad to have the results of the previous owner's labor, but am glad it wasn't ME doing all that work! I do have an email address for that owner, in case you are thinking you'd like to find out just how many man-hours were involved!

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Don,t post hère often but this topic interests me. I have bought 2 Petes lately, both smokers. DW and I removed the carpets mattress etc and the wood floors. Took the pressure washer with hot soapy water and washed out the vents and defrost etc. Took a small upholstery shampooer and did any interior that we could reach. Water came out orange for the first few passes, then eventually cleared up. Replaced seats with new. New carpet and hardwood and we were golden. #2 grandson has smoke allergy and drives one of these almost daily. They don,t have the new truck smell, but are sure better than before. Took a full day for each unit. Buying different trucks was not really an option as these 2 matched our others, are pre emissions Detroit 500s with 18 speeds. Recently got a Volvo 780 for HDT conversion. Never smoked in. Bonus. Lining up the parts for singling, hitch and body. Hope to get it on the road this fall.

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

Gregg at RVHaulers uses a choline "bomb" that he leaves in the truck, doors closed for a weekend. then opens the doors for severel days. Maybe he will let us in on the name of the product.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

My truck was originally smoked in. Two owners ago (LACoFDFireman) gutted it, employed some sort of ozone generator for a couple of weeks, some hospital-strength disinfectant, and completely replaced the carpeting and upholstery. He also repainted the cabinets and trim pieces. It came out very nice. The work was done in 2007, and the intermediate owner barely drove it over the 7 years he owned it, before I bought it last summer. Here is a report on the work that was done:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/photos-of-my-volvo-770-interior-makeover-take-a-look-page-2.23755/

and another with more information on what was done:

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/28011-photo-s-my-volvo-770-interior-makeover-take-look.html

This second link includes a link within one of the messages to the PhotoBucket album with lots of pictures of the end result.

My wife is an ex-smoker and is hyper-sensitive to the smell of smoke. She has spent time in the truck and doesn't detect any smell of smoke. But the removable window covers and seat covers, which I keep in the cubbies under the sleeper seats, have a strong odor of some sort of perfume, Febreze, disinfectant, or something similar. I suspect if I would just air them out, it would go away, as they stay tightly bundled all the time. The truck interior also has a faint odor of air freshener, but it doesn't bother me on trips.

My conclusion is that yes, it's possible to redo a truck interior and get rid of the smoking smell, but it's going to take a lot of time and money. I'm glad to have the results of the previous owner's labor, but am glad it wasn't ME doing all that work! I do have an email address for that owner, in case you are thinking you'd like to find out just how many man-hours were involved!

Pete

HOLY MOTHER OF EARTH,

Now THAT was an article I LOVE reading!!

This person took a LOT of TLC into their truck, and MADE it their own!!

I would be a bit intemidated to do all of the taking apart, but wouldn't think it is impossible and would do only what my guts,time, and wallet would allow me to do.

I want to Thank you soooo much for posting this, because it's people like this owner, and the projects we share on here, makes it actually seem POSSIBLE to accomplish things we tend sometimes to find impossible..

The Few

Don,t post hère often but this topic interests me. I have bought 2 Petes lately, both smokers. DW and I removed the carpets mattress etc and the wood floors. Took the pressure washer with hot soapy water and washed out the vents and defrost etc. Took a small upholstery shampooer and did any interior that we could reach. Water came out orange for the first few passes, then eventually cleared up. Replaced seats with new. New carpet and hardwood and we were golden. #2 grandson has smoke allergy and drives one of these almost daily. They don,t have the new truck smell, but are sure better than before. Took a full day for each unit. Buying different trucks was not really an option as these 2 matched our others, are pre emissions Detroit 500s with 18 speeds. Recently got a Volvo 780 for HDT conversion. Never smoked in. Bonus. Lining up the parts for singling, hitch and body. Hope to get it on the road this fall.

Thank you for replying sir/ma'am..

You lost me when you mentioned, that "you took a pressure washer with hot soapy water, and washed out the vents"???

Am I reading this correctly?? I never thought this could be done without some sort of water entering other facets of the vehicle without some sort of damage to the interior of the truck chassis/engine...

Please correct me if I am mislead in any way!!

thank you..

The Few

Gregg at RVHaulers uses a choline "bomb" that he leaves in the truck, doors closed for a weekend. then opens the doors for severel days. Maybe he will let us in on the name of the product.

JC

What was your initial impression when you entered the truck for the very first time??

Did you even smell a hint of a slight Oder, or did it have that " new truck" smell??

BTW, you have a "CRAZY BEAUTIFUL" set up!!!

The Few

When I said "deal with it", I didn't mean "tolerate" it. Panels inside these trucks come out pretty easy. I had a Pete years ago that I removed all the interior panels, took them to an upholstery shop. They reused only the cardboard & made a custom interior which I reinstalled, came out really nice. Cheaper, too.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

When I said "deal with it", I didn't mean "tolerate" it. Panels inside these trucks come out pretty easy. I had a Pete years ago that I removed all the interior panels, took them to an upholstery shop. They reused only the cardboard & made a custom interior which I reinstalled, came out really nice. Cheaper, too.

Thank you for putting that into perspective,

chat has no personality so things are easily lost or misunderstood in words..

they reused the cardboard on the door panels you mean?/

That sounds like a pretty good idea, especially if it was cheaper, because I am all about getting things done better AND cheaper!!

The Few

We actually use the pressure washer inside the cab. Water down the defrost comes out the vents and drains on the floor. We never shoot water at the gauges etc. but a little overspray doesn't seem to damage anything. Most of water drains out the floor and doors. Shop vac takes care of the rest. We have a citrus soap, even smells nice after.

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

Shop was very reasonable, I left them the panels and they did them over a couple of weeks. Pete did not have diamond/buttons like KW, just pleats back then. I ordered the truck with NO upholstery, then brought them the panels.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

What was your initial impression when you entered the truck for the very first time??

Did you even smell a hint of a slight Oder, or did it have that " new truck" smell??

BTW, you have a "CRAZY BEAUTIFUL" set up!!!

Thank for the complement. Very slight when I opened the door after a couple days being shut. Kinda like returning from the pool and you left towels in the back seat. Nothing objectionable at all. Was gone after a couple weeks.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I've put a couple jeep xj's on tracks for use in the winter on the frozen lakes and such up here in the tundra. The last two xj's have been ones that have been smoked in previously. When we got them we stripped the interior and pressure washed all that could be. Did the usual to all the interior panels that went back into the jeep (soap/pressure/etc).

You couldn't smell anything all winter; but now in the heat of summer; If you open them up you can smell a pile of smoke odor.

I'd be pretty leary

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Archived