Another Truck / Trailer Connection Question

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Currently we have the standard 7-way blade rv plug and a little 6 or 7 pin style plug for the 3 trailer camera's.

While on our last move, the standard rv plug wiggled loose causing a no brake light or turn signal issue..( didn't worry about the brakes, because, ya'll know, these trucks don't need no stinking trailer brakes!!!) Anyway,

The camera connector could probably be replaced as well to something more weather proof and better connecting.

The current truck side rv connector is a Pollack- bought at Tractor Supply. Is there anything that lasts and doesn't fail when needed.

I found this http://ezconnector.com/. Has anyone used one, is it worth the price?

Does anyone see any issues with using this with a camera system as well?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The problem with a non standard plug is you will be the only one that can ten pull the trailer. If you break down who an then belt you out with a tow. The only thing then would be to have a short adapter cable, you would have to buy 1 sett and a female of the special plugs .One set for the truck/trailer and 1 female to make an adapter cable

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

First off, if the receptacle cover had been engaged with the plug, the odds of coming out are extremely rare. Many do not know that tab on the cover is supposed to engage the ridge on the top of the plug as an interlock.

With that in mind, a simple wrap of Velcro tape around the plug and cover will make separation near impossible.

Replacing the plug and the receptacle every couple of years makes sense just because of corrosion growth in the receptacle.

We use 7-bladed plug/receptacle for out camera connection. Overkill but far more resilient to insertion pressure than the little round pins and sleeves on the 4/6 pin plug/receptacles.

We looked at the those magnetic latch plug/receptacles but figured we could buy several replace standard plugs and receptacle for the cost.

The factor of being non-standard was a big concern to use and considered the idea of dogbone adapters but that would have amplified the cost a lot. The same issue with converting over to standard semi plugs and receptacles with round pins. While built to more wear, the wiring pinout is different from the commercial plug and would have required adapters if pulled by someone else.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

When we had a similar problem with our RV cable connection we found that the cause of the problem was the small spring in the cover of the female connector had broken from rust and no longer held the male connector in. There is a little notch on the lip of the cover on the female connector that is supposed to engage a similar notch on the male connector and the spring is supposed to maintain enough tension to keep the plug engaged. The simple solution was two or three wraps of plastic electrical tape to ensure the cover keeps the plug engaged. That was far easier than the job that would have been required to replace the plug on our rig. Yours may be an easier replacement which is recommended but the tape will likely solve your problem in the short term. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Thanks guys,

Mark, on the camera side, I have the Levithan Holdings 4 camera setup off of e-bay. 1 Camera is on the truck, the rest on the RV. I haven't cut into the main harness/cable for them yet though. Is it 3 or 4 pairs of wires, or ?

I sure wish the Fall Rally was a little closer, at least I could check out more trucks and see how others have set theirs up.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Like Mark said you need to make sure it's plugged in all the way and cover is locked down

Over the plug. Also agree double check the spring on the cover.

One important thing to keep in mind is that these

Plugs are designed by the DOT to breakaway if you should forget to unplug them. I don't think you would want to change to anything else that would result in your having to rewire the plug at the worst time.

I have seen a lot of broken rear windows and dents in the back of cabs over the years. It happens.

Call me the oddball again!! I have the commercial truck plug on the truck and trailer. I read somewhere that the Bargman was rated for weekenders and had a 100 connection life, whereas the commercial plug was on the order of 10,000. Since going with the commercial I've never had a problem.Our setup is a tractor socket, to Jackapolee, to tractor socket at the rear of the truck. Commercial tractor plug into the trailer.Now, recognizing that in an emergency, I may have to pull yours or you mine, I have made and carry two adapters to the Bargman and back. This also works as a 12' extension cord if I'm working on lighting or what ever.

X2 exactly the set up I have. IMO the commercial plugs are much more robust

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I have used the commercial plug for about nine years. And purposely wired it so that if someone hooked to it with a commercial truck there plug would activate the brakes when the turn signals are turned on.

safe Travel's, Vern

Thanks Bill!

I may swap everything to the commerical style, both the cameras and the rv lighting/brakes.

What I'm thinking is truck factory wiring into a terminal block, out to/ thru the jackie, and back to the plug. Trying to keep it simple until the bed gets ripped off and a new and improved smart car capable bed gets installed.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived