Roof Coating Streaks

The deal on the previous RV we looked at fell through. But we have found a very, very nice 34 foot Bounder. One issue I have is that the roof coating is chalking pretty bad and there are streaks running down the sides and front of the coach from the roof. What will be required to correct this? Is it something I can do myself or will it need to go in for service?No indications of leaks though. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Are you saying that the roof has had a "coating" of some type applied over the original roof? We have applied Liquid Roof coating to our EPDM due to age, no damage. We do not get streaks from the coating. You might try to find out what was used on the roof.

Jim

I'm not knowledgeable enough t know. There is either a uniform coating or some kind of material overlaid on the roof. This is chalking when I run my hand over it and causes light streaks to run down the front and sides when it rains. It's a 1999 Bounder Class A. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

My fiver had chalking of the fiberglass roof, looked like guano running down the back. Tried scuffing it and coating it with automotive clear (2 part). Not so good, peeled after a couple of years. Sanded it REAL good, rolled on a fresh coat of activated FG gel coat. seems to have worked. But you gotta' work FAST....

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

What type of roof material are you talking about? EPDM rubber roofs chalk as part of the aging process. There are products that will help reduce the chalking. If it is an EPDM roof, I suggest you visit the Dicor website and read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section and view some of the RV maintenance videos that they have available.

The 99 Bounder came with an EDPM roof so I'd bet that is what you have. As stated above, chalking is a normal part of the aging process but there are things which can be done to slow the process. If yours is doing it a great deal, the first thing that I'd do is to examine the roof very carefully all over it. The Dicor roofs of that time came with a 12 year warranty on materials and since yours is now 16 years old it may be nearing the end of it's useful life, depending upon the type and amount of care it has had. I would want to make sure that it is still in good enough condition to warrant the continued use and if not then you need to know that so that you can plan how you will make the roof stay weather tight in the future.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My '06 Coachmen class A MH with EDPM roof did have some streaking down the sides. I also used the Dicor products and that helped. No streaks now. I had to use the cleaner first and then the sealer after. It took a couple of days but was well worth it. Check out Dicor products at a local RV store. Dave. ( I have no reason to recommend this, only that it worked for me.)

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived