Jumping right into full time.

Within the next two weeks I'll be a full timer, but not by choice. My (soon to be ex) wife and I were looking for a class A for about a year now but do to an impending divorce I will be purchasing a 5th whell toy hauler next week and staying here in Wi until it gets too cold then heading south. We were actually purchasing a house on some land in Hackberry, Az but have to back out now.

I'm nervous and excited about this life change but it's something I've always dreamed about even if the reasoning is different now. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions and I've been reading threads to aquire more information and insight on what to do and what not to do. Looks like a friendly forum full of knowledge.

Dave

Welcome to the forums, lots of good info here and folks are pretty good at finding answers to some strange RV issues.

Before you head south, a couple months at least, set yourself up with a mail service like Escapees so you can move your domicile to a cheaper state.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Welcome! At least you'll have the silver lining.. full timing is a hoot and half! A lot of good folks around so feel free to ask questions.

On the domestic side, you might want to speak to your attorney before moving your domicile to discuss juristictional requirements for your state. Mutli state proceedings can potentially become very complicated. Just a thought.

Do you have a particular toy hauler you've been looking at? What are you towing with?

~ Cheers

Welcome to the forums! We do our best to be friendly & helpful so join in often.

Some good suggestions thus far. You may be well served to take some time and read a book or two on the subject of RV living because it will bring up many things which will need to be considered as you move away from conventional style of living. Either your public library or Amazon store would be a good source of such books. You will also find a lot of helpful information if you take advantage of the links that can be found in the signature lines of many who post here as there are many of us who maintain either web pages or blogs that tell the story of how we live.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the replies and information. With the divorce, I was looking at used, but in my research I had a good idea of what to look for and we used to liveaboard on a boat so most systems are familiar to me. I just couldn't find a decent used 5er within the budget so I found a new KZ Sportsmen 305th. I know it's, entry level but having a warranty and hopefully some support will give me less to worry about. My tow vehicle is a 2003 3/4 ton Dodge diesel since I downsized from a 1 ton drw that is supposedly sold. My plan was to do this for a max of 5 years and live in it while building a small house, but if it ends up working out well I might upgrade and continue. One thing I have found already is RVs are full of compromise just like boats.

I think I'm still in shock about the whole situation and it won't set in until I pull away. I apologize for the less than articulate random thoughts, but I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

If you are feeling a little overwhelmed right now, don't make any decisions and actually purchasing anything without taking a little time and gathering your thoughts logically. Deep breath and a pros and cons list for your plans might be prudent right now.

Same when we lose a spouse or similar and are mourning, we should just take a little time to adjust and accept, you don't want to be making haste with regrets and then repenting at leisure!

Just saying and of course it's your life to live always!

FTW

Welcome to the forum and so sorry to learn of your divorce. Hopefully, full-timing will be a good venture for you. You'll see new places and meet new people.

Personally, I think forgetting about Hackberry, AZ is a good thing. There's hardly anything there and at this time in your life I think you need people, especially friendly RVers.

I'd suggest getting involved with the Escapees - attending an Escapade if you can. It's quite a learning experience. Escapess also has many like-minded groups called Birds of the Feathers (BOFs) that might interest you. There's also a group for single RVers. It's not a dating group but instead, they meet as a group at various places and do activities together such as 4-wheeling, ATVing, geocaching, potlucks, hiking, etc. There are also a couple non-Escapee groups of single RVers. Check them out online.

Best of luck to you!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Fulltimewannabe, I completely understand your point but I've been stuck in the city for 15 years and I'm too old to have anything to fall back on such as friends, parents, etc. even if it's temporary. This is what I would have chosen if I never had a family anyway so the decision wasn't rash or quick. I'm used to traveling from an old career so I'm no stranger to living on the road. I have 3 adult children that are on their own and 2 that are 16 and that's the hardest part, even though the youngest are step-children. I'm the only dad they've had and I raised them so it's still difficult but they are understanding and know I'll always be there for them in some way.

I'm picking up the rv on Wednesday and I don't have a penny of debt so at least if it doesn't work I can choose another path without too much trouble and just some more planning.

2gypsies, I'll definitely look into more when the chaos is down to a minimum but now I'm reducing and packing.

Well, I picked up the 5er today and with rhe help of a downloaded PDI checklist on my tablet I was able to be thorough. The truck pulls it like a dream and it ended up having more options than I thought so I'm pretty happy about what I paid for it. Now I have to finish liquidating unnecessary junk, packing it and loading it to get a better idea of what to keep.

Great that you've now found your 5th wheel! You don't have to be in too much of a hurry to head south for the winter - too hot or too much rain!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I'll probably head down to Savannah, Ga in December for a few weeks then on to Arizona for the rest of the winter. It's taking a little longer than I thought to pack and organize, but I'm getting there.

Archived