What Do I Need For Boosting Signal?

I just recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and also got an Ellipsis 8 tablet which I'm using as a hotspot. I have a Wilson Sleek (Verizon 4G version) which I bought a few years ago, but which won't work with either the tablet or the phone because both are too big to fit into the cradle. We currently don't have any type of cellular antenna installed on the motorhome.

So I'm looking into possible boosters and antennas I can use with the tablet since that's what I'm using for Internet access. I don't think I can use any kind of wired booster since the tablet doesn't have any antenna port...the only thing on it is the USB/charger port, the headset connector, and the microSD and SIM card slots (even the phone doesn't appear to have any type of port for an antenna).

Is there some kind of wireless booster that will work with the tablet? What antenna would you recommend? Our rig is small (29' total length), so trying to use a setup that requires an outside antenna and an inside antenna probably won't work since we couldn't get the two antennas far enough apart.

Thanks for your help.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I just recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and also got an Ellipsis 8 tablet which I'm using as a hotspot. I have a Wilson Sleek (Verizon 4G version) which I bought a few years ago, but which won't work with either the tablet or the phone because both are too big to fit into the cradle. We currently don't have any type of cellular antenna installed on the motorhome.

So I'm looking into possible boosters and antennas I can use with the tablet since that's what I'm using for Internet access. I don't think I can use any kind of wired booster since the tablet doesn't have any antenna port...the only thing on it is the USB/charger port, the headset connector, and the microSD and SIM card slots (even the phone doesn't appear to have any type of port for an antenna).

Is there some kind of wireless booster that will work with the tablet? What antenna would you recommend? Our rig is small (29' total length), so trying to use a setup that requires an outside antenna and an inside antenna probably won't work since we couldn't get the two antennas far enough apart.

Thanks for your help.

Our new units should be out very soon. They will do exactly what you are looking for. Hope to make a few prototypes next week as all parts should finally be here. . For our pre-appointed testers that include Jack Mayer, DocJ and Technomadia. Production models will not be far behind.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Gord, do you think they'll be ready by October? I don't need to do anything right away, but, ideally, I'd like to have something in place by the time we leave for our winter travels at the end of October...or shortly thereafter.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Gord, do you think they'll be ready by October? I don't need to do anything right away, but, ideally, I'd like to have something in place by the time we leave for our winter travels at the end of October...or shortly thereafter.

We are really hopeful for the beginning of July. This manufacturing thing is tough. You have all sorts of suppliers and just one lousy part can hold you up . But we are trying.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Thanks for your help.

In the short term can you just remove the side pieces from the cradle and try your phone and tablet flush against the Wilson Amp? The current Wilson unit that we are using (weBoost Drive) has adjustable/removable cradle side pieces.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Mark that might be an idea IF the cradle can be removed. I haven't looked at it to see. I don't really have to worry about it for now, though, since we're at home and not traveling. Most of the places we go in the winter have Verizon cell service, so I wouldn't need anything very often. However, we did go to one place last winter that had low 3G service...it was right off the Interstate, so if I'd had a booster I could have at least received a stronger 3G signal and perhaps been able to pull in a 4G signal.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Mark that might be an idea IF the cradle can be removed. I haven't looked at it to see. I don't really have to worry about it for now, though, since we're at home and not traveling. Most of the places we go in the winter have Verizon cell service, so I wouldn't need anything very often. However, we did go to one place last winter that had low 3G service...it was right off the Interstate, so if I'd had a booster I could have at least received a stronger 3G signal and perhaps been able to pull in a 4G signal.

I have the Wilson Sleek and I have the cradle arms off of it with my Jetpack sitting on it and works very well.

The cradle arms slide right up and off the sides.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

A jetpack is much smaller than my tablet, though, so even if the cradle comes off, I don't know whether or not it'll do any good. However, since I don't currently have any kind of antenna, it's sort of a moot point. When we get an antenna installed, I can try it and see if it works.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

...since it's a magnetic mount, where do you put it and how do you bring the cord inside?...

I glued a 8" square piece of thin magnetic stainless steel to the roof with Dicor and ran the cable through the refrigerator roof vent.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

One thing to watch for when selecting an antenna is how much gain you get in the 4G and AWS frequencies. You really want your major gain to be there.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I glued a 8" square piece of thin magnetic stainless steel to the roof with Dicor and ran the cable through the refrigerator roof vent.

So in reality, even tho' it's a magnetic mount, you have it pretty much permanently mounted? It looks to be a long antenna, so am wondering what you do with it when you're traveling?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

One thing to watch for when selecting an antenna is how much gain you get in the 4G and AWS frequencies. You really want your major gain to be there.

Jack, you're talking to someone who knows next to nothing about these things, so what you said went way over my head! B) How would one go about checking the gain on an antenna? Is this something that would be in the specs? And, if so, what kind of numbers would I be looking for?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

So in reality, even tho' it's a magnetic mount, you have it pretty much permanently mounted? It looks to be a long antenna, so am wondering what you do with it when you're traveling?

The one I have isn't that tall that it is much higher than the air conditioner. Our trailer isn't that tall either so the antenna is less than 12'3" which is what I have the routing software and GPS set at. I suppose if you are worried about clearance you could clamp a base plate to the frame of the batwing so that the cellular antenna would be verticle when the batwing was raised. The magnetic mount antennas need some type of metal base as a ground plain as well as needing something to stick to.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Our rig isn't that tall...10'8" as I recall without looking at the specs, so I guess something like that might work. The only problem I could see would be running the cable down the refrigerator vent since our refrigerator is not near the location where I'll be putting the booster, whether that's the Sleek or something else.

The Wilson Shorty Through-the-Roof antenna we had on the fifth wheel was not only short, but it was permanently mounted on the roof with the cable running through the roof rather than down a vent. In order to get the antenna cable where I need it so it can attach to the booster, I think I'm going to have to do something similar with whatever antenna I get, since we also don't have a batwing antenna to which the antenna can be attached.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda if you have slide outs you could run the cable up thru the corner of the slide out. I have done that before.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Yes, running the cable through the slide is a possibility. We did that for awhile on the fifth wheel when we had an antenna that was attached to the batwing before we installed the Wilson Shorty. The slide in the living area has the advantage of being near the cabinet where whatever booster I use will be placed.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Vermilye, that antenna looks interesting...I'll keep that in mind. How is it attached? From the picture, it looks like it's attached to something like a roof ladder...which we don't have.

I'm curious about the blurb about registering this antenna with the wireless provider. I know that boosters have to be registered, but an antenna?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda, here is my report on the BoatAnt. It includes two attachment methods. LINK.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Gord - Did you get Jack's change of mailing address? It's:

Park of The Sierra's - Coarsegold

Attn: Smiity - On Behalf of Jack

Yes sir, I'll see that is promptly (no more then 5-9 months, max) hand delivered to Jack!!

Congrats on the last chip!!! Looking forward to reading some real world usage - and of course, getting our hands on ours too:)!

Smitty

(Jack - Small handling fee for me to deliver this to you, I'll bring the cork screw!!)

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Jack, thanks for the link! I read over it quickly and have saved it to favorites to print out once we're back at home later this week (I much prefer to read things like this on paper so that I can highlight sections). Sounds like it's a good antenna for my use.

Once I decide on an antenna and get it installed, then I can experiment with the Sleek to see if it will work with my Ellipsis 8 tablet (which is what I use as a hotspot). If it won't, then I'll have to use something else...hopefully, by that time Gord will have their booster available.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Archived