Thoughts on Hot Spot vs: Samsung G5

Got a 7 year old USB 727/CradlePoint 500. (Verizon) Works OK. 6G for $60. Have the printer on the router, and a couple of laptops. DW has a G2 on a plan with 2G data for $60. (a promo plan off contract in October) (no hot spot) She sometimes is at 2.1 G a month and Verizon gives her a credit and does not charge her for a overage. I am always under my 6G, usually 3-4G.

My USB 727 is one account and my DW has her account. Total is $62 for USB 727 (6G) $67 for DW phone (2G) $130 total.

Since the USB is 3G and that is going away, I am considering getting a Samsung G5 and using it for a hot spot and combining the two accounts. Right now there is 10G for $80 with line access, $15 for her phone since it is paid for and $21+$15 for the G5.

That is $80+$15+$21+15 which is $131 (plus some tax) a month for 10G with the DW using her G2 and me buying a S5 and using it for a hot spot and a phone.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jim

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

I use a Note 4 for my hot spot and am very pleased with the speed etc. I would suggest at least looking at

a Note 4 vs the Galaxy 5. I have found that I am very happy with the larger size. I use it for lots of texing and internet

stuff a lot more then phone calls but when I do make and receive calls I put it on speaker and sit it down. Good Luck

I use a Note 4 for my hot spot and am very pleased with the speed etc. I would suggest at least looking at

a Note 4 vs the Galaxy 5. I have found that I am very happy with the larger size. I use it for lots of texing and internet

stuff a lot more then phone calls but when I do make and receive calls I put it on speaker and sit it down. Good Luck

A matter of opinion. I prefer the smaller size of the G5...use my tablet for the other things.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I had a 727 and a 5 G plan for years that worked wonderfully and I never came close to using that much data in a month. I now have a 290 4G modem and a 30 gig plan and I struggle to stay within 30 gigs each month. My habits haven't changed much and I have no idea where those 30 gigs go. I am not complaining, but functionally not much has changed. My point is that when you switch to 4G plan on more gigs.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

dzwiss: That is why I like routing through a router that tracks bandwidth usage. I can see the usage and which computers or devices are using it. In my case the router is a Pepwave Surf SOHO, but WifiRanger routers and some Cradlepoint routers will also track the usage. Once I know which one is using it I can investigate further

With 4G ads fully load, including those annoying video ads.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

dzwiss: That is why I like routing through a router that tracks bandwidth usage. I can see the usage and which computers or devices are using it. Once I know which one is using it I can investigate further.

The app "MyVerizon" on my phone also tracks usage by device to pinpoint problem areas.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

The app "MyVerizon" on my phone also tracks usage by device to pinpoint problem areas.

Really? MyVerizon tracks each wifi device and computer run off the wifi hotspot of the phone or Jetpack? On my phone, MyVerizon only shows the Jetpack total.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

My Verizon gives some very useful info. Looking at my usage, I can tell that the modem is by far the largest user of data over all other 3 devices. Looking deeper, it gives a breakdown of types of usage by volume. It turns out that my biggest user of data is my email and news. Aha, I had been checking my email a few times per day by going directly to yahoo and checking each of my three accounts. Also, after signing out, it would open the yahoo news page, which I would peruse a couple times each day. As of late, this page would have many videos running on it without clicking on a particular article. Well, this month, I decided to use the mail app on my computer, instead of signing into yahoo each time I check email. So far this month my usage graph is way behind the days in period graph. It looks as though yahoo news and yahoo mail were the culprits. I wonder if I was downloading all of my stored emails each time I signed in?

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Archived