Moving 5 wheel hitch backward

chevy3500

FYI for the OP and others....

We drove the combo 400 miles round trip on some of the worst sections of highway a normal person would want take a 65' combo through on the way to the West Coast HDT Rally with no noticeable ill effects. There were even high winds from Reno through Susanville and I didn't know the 5er was back there........

I think the hitch being that far back perfectly compliments the long wheelbase in that the trailer axles pretty much track right with the drive axle on the truck.....might even be a little inside!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I am going to try my combo out this week, maybe tommorow. I will post some pics unless you would prefer a new thread. I am 270" on my wheelbase, with a 22' steel bed. I have a TSLB2H 5th wheel air ride hitch with the extra capacity bag, and I cut the corners of the end of the bed off at angles for jackknifing.

I for one would like to see pictures of your rig. A 22' bed and a 270 wb sounds worth seeing.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I for one would like to see pictures of your rig. A 22' bed and a 270 wb sounds worth seeing.

Me too! That bad boy will be a road train if you plan to pull a big 5er too....

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Me too! That bad boy will be a road train if you plan to pull a big 5er too....

A Roadtrain indeed. We went to try the test drive today and found that the 5th wheel pin box frame touches the bed when hitched. So 8 hours of mods today, and maybe most of tommorow, then we will try it once more. I will be sure to post pics here if it is ok with the original poster. Dont want to hi-jack the thread. BTW, on the length of the trailer it is a 45' DRV Atlanta triple axle. It will be a big combo.

A Roadtrain indeed. We went to try the test drive today and found that the 5th wheel pin box frame touches the bed when hitched. So 8 hours of mods today, and maybe most of tommorow, then we will try it once more. I will be sure to post pics here if it is ok with the original poster. Dont want to hi-jack the thread. BTW, on the length of the trailer it is a 45' DRV Atlanta triple axle. It will be a big combo.

[/quote

Go ahead and post, I got mine moved back where its gonna stay.

Well got the modifications finished and everything all hooked up properly. No real issues to speak of I did weigh and I had an approximate 6000lbs pin with 1400lbs off the front axle. Right about where I anticipated it. No handling problems. I did notice porpoising on the elevated expressway between I-10 and 1-12 on I-55 - Turned around at Manchac and went back to Hammond. The porpoising manifested at approx. 65 and was noticeable enough for me to back it down to 60, but that is ok with me - I usually tow at 60-65 anyway. On the Interstate it was smooth as could be. I also tried some emergency stopping on the non-elevated portion of the expressway (below the bridge) and when I used the trailer brake and honked on my airbrakes - all was good. When I only used the service brakes and allowed the controller to apply the brakes - I noticed the trailer getting a bit squirrelly - I guess I just need to adjust my controller to suit my driving style as we use it more. So without further delay here are some pics I took today.

Thanks for the nice comments, and yes - I must admit I am very cautious about where we go - it is a bit of a white knuckle experience in tight spots. But believe it or not it turns and backs better with the axle further back, although that doesn't help with tight bends in the road. (Ask me how I know that!) That is one of the main reasons to haul the 4Runner on the back so we can off load before we get to the destination and scout it out to see the best spot to park.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived