DPF Engine vs DEP Engine

I am looking at 2 low milage used 3/4 ton pickups to tow a 10k-13k lb 5th wheel. (all up trailer weight)

The DPF is a 2007 Dodge 2500 6.7 with a 6 speed auto. 43,000 miles. Pretty basic ergonomic manual seats.

The DEP is a 2013 Ford F250 Superduty. 19,000 miles. It has the power adjustable seats and pedals.

Which potential Engine/ drivetrain problems would you rather deal with, and why?

I'm tall with some back problems, the wife is short with hip and knee issues. The Ford wins the ergonomics by a long way. The Dodge wins the Engine debate IMHO.

If the DPF goes out, it can be bypassed and removed at a reasonable expense. If the DEF has issues it seems to be a service nitemare.

If you have any experience or knowledge of these engines I would like to hear it.

Thanks.

Keith

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

The Dodge with the DPF is nothing more than a filter. It should be good for 100,000 miles if not just replace it or remove it. Removing it will require some type of tuner to remove the sensor or you will get a light on the dash.

The DEF is pretty much just an inconvenience. Before retiring I drove a 2015 Freightliner and never had DEF issues. ford, Chevy and Dodge all had issues in the beginning. pretty much like any new item the GOV. mandates. My 2014 Ram uses DEF, and at 5000 miles no issues and I have only filled the tank on it 1.5 times. As far as the Ford it probably has the 6.4 which had a lot less problems that the 6.0 but still more than it should have. At this point it really is just a choice you have to make. I drove the ford for 18 months (6.0) had to get rid of it. It was terrible. Then drove the GMC Duramax/Allison for 7 yrs with very few problems, so now I'm trying the Ram.

Just my opinion,

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Removing a DPF is not good idea. Not only Illegal you can have other problems. The system that uses DEF also has a DPF. Although truckers have lots of problems with either system RV'rs do not drive 150,000 miles a year and there are not many issues.

The 2013 Ford will have the 6.7 engine (I have a 2012 with that engine). So far the only issue I had was with a MAP sensor going bad due to the previous owner removing the filter indicator under the hood and letting unfiltered air into the system (screwing up the sensor). Ford screwed up with the 6.0 and 6.4 engines but the new 6.7's seem to be running great. They put out a ton of power and get reasonable fuel mileage towing or bobtail.The DPF filter for both models will do a regen as they start to clog up (they burn extra fuel to get rid of the particulates) and the Ford will also use DEF fluid to eliminate NoX.

The one VERY surprising thing about them is how quiet the Ford engine runs and how little they "smell" like a diesel exhaust. My Freightliner is the same way, you never have the diesel smell that I was so used to....

If the Ford feels better for you, by all means go for it. You will be spending a LOT of hours behind the wheel and comfort mstters at the end of the day.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I also have a 2011 F250 XLT, diesel, CC, RWD, long bed and prior to the DEF I was not so keen

on a diesel because of the black smoke, smell, noise and vibration. With the DEF, no black smoke, no smell, not very noisy

and no vibration. I have been very happy. The truck had one recall for a software update for the transmission. If you tow a lot

you will use about 2.5 gallons, about $11 at Walmart, of DEF per 5,000 miles. If you tow less you should use less DEF. Good Luck

Thanks everyone for your information.

The Ford was definately the quietest and had a smoother ride.

Seems like all the mfg's have some kind of issue, so I guess "you pick your poison"

The recomendation for ergonomics has moved to the top of the list.

We have driven all 3 manufacturers trucks that have the power adjust seats and lumbar support and found them acceptable.

The suprise was the Duramax, came highly recomended by a local shop that I have do the work on my current vehicles. Don't know about the used ones, but the 2015 was very nice.

It didn't have quite the systems monitor for transmission temp and pressure monitoring the other 2 did, Not sure about the Onstar system (definately do not want the ability to have my vehicle shut down remotely by someone else). It did have the nicest adjustability for seating and driving accomodations.

So now we just have to pick the engine, mechanical, electrical, drivetrain we want to live with, then we'll find the right trim package to make it comfortable.

The trick is to find a low milage 2-5 year old well maintained truck at the right price. Seems even the Kelly Bluebook and Nada guides over price these things. :rolleyes:

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

That had also been my plan for the used diesel pickup but I found that even in Texas where one half of all registrations are pickups,

they wanted a lot more money for diesel pickups with lots of miles on then I wanted to pay. That is why I got a new one. Others may say that the diesel

engine will last a lot of miles and while that is so the rest of the truck is just a pickup and I will wear out. Good Luck

2009 Dodge 3500 over 120k with DPF. No issues whatsoever and the only way I know it's in regen is the drop in MPG. Prior to the new Ford 6.7, I and others had often talked about a Cummins to Ford transplant. The Dodge is a pickup truck and sits and rides like one.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Keith, I made a similar comparison a year ago. Purchased a 2014 F350, 6.7 turbo DEF. The truck was a bank repo with 11,000 miles. Couldn't be more happy with the purchase. Pull 16,000 lbs 5'ver and the truck is a beast. Comfortable, good seats, lots of room. Engine is very quite and no black smoke.

Had a recent recall to reprogram the computer. Once in a while I had an alert the DEF was dirty. Haven't had any more reports since program changed by dealer. Took 30 minutes during an oil change.

Had a couple tows to the North Georgia mountains. In tow mode, very smooth shifts and good auto shifts down the mountain. Couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

Haven't tried cruise in the hills, but set cruise through Georgia into Florida. Simple hills and no issue. Just knocked it off when going through a busy area. Personal preference watching out for the crazies.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Take a peek at the link below ........you might be amazed at the ease of operations and comfort.........

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=118198&hl=

Drive on,,,,,,,enjoy the ride.....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Jerry;

I just got back from looking at a 2012 f350 single rear wheel, king ranch. 56K miles. It was a nice truck but had 35" tires, and a 4 or 5 inch lift kit, my shorter wife could hardly get in and out of it. :( It also had a goose neck hitch and airbags. The guy hauled horses.

I may see what it would cost to remove the lift kit, reset the airbags, and then when the tires wear out return to the 20" originals.

I am going to need to find a good shop to do an independant inspection of whatever I want to buy.

DT;

I like the M2's and if I find a good used one, I would consider it. My DW thinks they are huge. Wait until I introduce her to a 660 Volvo!! :D

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Thanks everyone for your information.

The Ford was definately the quietest and had a smoother ride.

Seems like all the mfg's have some kind of issue, so I guess "you pick your poison"

The recomendation for ergonomics has moved to the top of the list.

We have driven all 3 manufacturers trucks that have the power adjust seats and lumbar support and found them acceptable.

The suprise was the Duramax, came highly recomended by a local shop that I have do the work on my current vehicles. Don't know about the used ones, but the 2015 was very nice.

It didn't have quite the systems monitor for transmission temp and pressure monitoring the other 2 did, Not sure about the Onstar system (definately do not want the ability to have my vehicle shut down remotely by someone else). It did have the nicest adjustability for seating and driving accomodations.

So now we just have to pick the engine, mechanical, electrical, drivetrain we want to live with, then we'll find the right trim package to make it comfortable.

The trick is to find a low milage 2-5 year old well maintained truck at the right price. Seems even the Kelly Bluebook and Nada guides over price these things. :rolleyes:

Many, many miles on D-Max's.... a 2500 and a 3500. If you can find a pre-DEF 2500 that is probably one of the best trucks I ever owned. Not sure if it will pull what you need. Oh, yes, they DO have a tranny temp monitor, in fact that's what's up on the screen when it gets hot and or hilly. Onstar lets me start it from anywhere. Cool or heat. The Chevvies been good to me......

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived