Salt Lake City to Jackson, WY

d&dvogel

We're leaving SLC in the morning, heading for Jackson, Wyoming. Comments on the following routing, which checks acceptably with the Motor Carriers Atlas, would be appreciated:

I-15 N to Exit 363, 91/89 east through Logan, Garden City (near Bear Lake) into Idaho, continuing on 89 north to Ovid, Montpellier, still east/north toward Alpine, 89/26 north to 189 north, to Jackson.

We'd like a scenic route, which this seems to be. Is there a better option? Our GPS is being stupid, which she is occasionally, aren't they all, so she's no help really.

Thanks,

Donna

Well, DH elected the scenic route I outlined above. After the insane traffic on I-15 in SLC, he wanted off that road! It was a lovely drive, some of it slow going, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The grades never exceeded 8%, so no problems there. The Logan Canyon area is rather twisty-turny, slow going, but beautiful. When we leave Grand Teton we'll head to Pocatello, so we'll be going the other route then. Thanks for the input.

Donna

I agree about the insane traffic going through SLC although we did that once on a sunday morning and it was quiet.

I-15 north of SLC is good though....from Ogden all the way to Idaho falls and even to Canada its quiet and almost empty.....its great for making good time on a smooth , traffic free and non mountainous route. There are a few passes but they are nothing to worry about. We always go around Butte and stay on the flat.

Archived