RV long term storage

KandJBm

If you pay to store your RV at a commercial establishment for long periods (many months) far away from your home what do you do to keep the batteries charged? We may wind up in that situation for some good reasons, but not so good for the batteries.

I have a 140W solar panel on the roof, which keeps everything charged.

Motorhomes: If you turn off the inverter and open the DC load disconnects and open circuit your chassis batteries, you'll be fine for up to 3 months, assuming 50-80 degree weather.

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

I put a one 240 watt panel and charge controller and the batteries are always perfect even with some stuff on like monitors for co and propane and exhaust fan on temp to get rid of heat.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

If there is power available, you could connect a battery minder to keep them up, but if not, make sure that they are fully charged with proper electrolyte levels, then I would lift the negative battery cable from each battery. Isolators are great, but they usually do not disconnect a few things like electric steps and smoke, LP and CO detectors. There are often phantom loads that do not get isolated by the electric isolators but a lifted cable is 100% effective

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A small battery charging solar panel may do the trick, something in the 5 watt range that you could put on your air conditioner cover or just tack to the roof near the fridge vent should be plenty unless you get a lot of snow.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We often stored our DP for up to 6 months without any issues. I always disconnected the batteries by pulling a terminal cable. Then on return the very first thing I did, after checking fluids etc, was to start the engine before even turning on a light. Use every volt/amp your batteries have to start the charging process again.

Keep in mind that good batteries always help! (One caveat. By pulling a cable/s you will have to reset everything in the coach like clocks, navigation, etc).

regards

A small battery charging solar panel may do the trick, something in the 5 watt range that you could put on your air conditioner cover or just tack to the roof near the fridge vent should be plenty unless you get a lot of snow.

Does a small solar panel like a 5 watt require a solar controller? If I don't use a controller what keeps the batteries from possibly being over charged over the 9 to 10 months the trailer and truck will be in storage?

A small panel doesn't generate enough current or voltage to overcharge a battery so it can be left on indefinitely. Think of it more as a battery maintainer than as a battery charger since it doesn't provide the 14 plus volts needed to fully charge a battery.

We have used small panels on our RVs and vehicles for years since some of them are rarely used and it would be difficult to provide power to where they are parked.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived