My history with WiFi Ranger

Yes, I was an early adopter of WFR. I spent a lot of money and even more time to get the system to work as advertised. I even wrote a blog about it, you can see it http://wfranger.wordpress.com But in all honesty, the system has not and still doesn't work as I expect.

A very brief history: I made my living with computers. I have designed, manufactured, and supported systems that I am convinced each of you have used at one time or another. So I am not just a total newbie to electronics, although my last working years were more manager than techie.

Now WFR looks very good. But if I am at a park (like now) which has multiple access points, and I have made one a preferred one, it keeps dropping the signal and reconnecting to a different one (which may or may not work). Frequently, when I wake up in the morning, the WFR is down and when I try to connect (so I can access the control pane)l I get an error message something like "Unable to connect -- try to move closer".

Because of connection issues, I have elected not to install my modem in the Go2 and instead use a Verizon Jetpack. That way the WFR can "see" my Jetpack and access it if there are no usable open WiFi signals. But I do need the WFR system as it connects to my printer and AppleTV.

Yes, my WFR has all the latest updates. I now have the WFR Go (bought after I scrapped the original WFR) and the WFRBoost (Version 2, after I scrapped the original indoor version). Yes, it is installed correctly. But I just don't understand why it keeps dropping the signal. My workaround has been to manually log into a different AP, but I shouldn't have to do that with all the equipment installed.

I'm about ready to scrap the system, but I have tried to make it work for 4 years, drilled holes in the roof, and in short tried my best so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I still believe WFR is exactly the system I need - as long as it works.

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

I use a SURF SOHO air-card router and a Bullet radio. I manual selection who is doing the connections.

The WFR looks good on paper and for many, it does the job. I just don't like to many automated processes because it i hard to troubleshoot when things don't work. But that is me.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

There is some merit to Mark's comment. Sometimes manual control is "better". Especially for those network savvy.

I use a Go2 with a Jetpack connected via wifi. I rarely use an external wifi capture device, although I have lots of them of every variety. I do test with them. I also have a hardwired connection to the Go2 that is connected to the park network, and I access APs wirelessly. The Go2 brings it all together fairly well. I DO NOT enable failover, but manually handle it like Mark does. I find that more reliable and easier to manage what I actually want to happen. However, I do TEST the failover capabilities and in general they work pretty well. But you "can" find all kinds of exception conditions.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Now WFR looks very good. But if I am at a park (like now) which has multiple access points, and I have made one a preferred one, it keeps dropping the signal and reconnecting to a different one (which may or may not work). Frequently, when I wake up in the morning, the WFR is down and when I try to connect (so I can access the control pane)l I get an error message something like "Unable to connect -- try to move closer".

John:

You say that you have set the preferred access point, but have you set "ignore" tabs on the ones you don't want? Click on the access point and use the dropdown to set as Ignore. That has always worked for me. Otherwise, what I think happens is that the WFR monitors the status of all the access points and may change if it detects that one of them has stalled or slowed significantly. You should also check to make sure that you don't have "Slowest Usable Speed" set or that may cause it to hop from one connection to another.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Anyone like the "Almond"? I bought it based on ratings, and haven't had a chance to try it, but always looking for first-hand experience from anyone that has used it.

I had a TV around here, a black and white job, but after I built it, I lost interest. Heinlein.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure this is a fair critique but I am also unimpressed with Go2. I got the Go2 with the Sky directional antenna. We dont use trailer parks much and we have rarely used the wifi booster. I found my laptop is mmore sensitive and will pull in more signals that the Go2 so I just dont use it. I dont think I have given the Sky antenna system a fair try so I cant really critique but if you are mainly boondocking I dont think this is a good investment. We use a wilson cell phone amp all the time and that does do the job.

Archived