tripod or not to tripod

I have a new 5er with 6 point leveling. After having been in it a few weeks,I'm surprised how much wiggle is present using solid jack pads. I have seen a few other rigs with 6 point using tripods. Any thoughts or experiences?

What should I look for in a quality tripod. Also thinking about screw jacks at her frame on the back end.

2015 Cardinal 3850RL

F350 KingRanch using B&W Companion Hitch

And my funny little dog

DOVES Member

Personally, I think they're a waste of money. For stability I think you get more desireable results with under carriage systems and locking chocks. Some folks will warn that if your rig settles over the course of your trip it can put a great deal of added weight to a tripod as the front stabilizers get "lighter".

I did have one with my 5er, but found affect of the tripod did little to get the wiggle out of my rig and stopped using it. Other may have had better results.

I could probalby see some benefit while your rig is in storage as just a support, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

~ Cheers

Our Landmark does a little wiggle and dance also. I used a tripod on our old 5er and like Yarome said, it never seemed to do anything and if you rig settles it will get tighter.

We switched to X-chocks and they take most of the wiggle out. We use some very thick Hosspads and rarely settle into the ground. I used to chase the wiggles but, there will always be some give. The length from the rear jacks to the end of the trailer on the Landmark surprises me but, I've also run out of stroke once or twice on uneven ground. When the washer is running in spin, it can give ya a good shake.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

X-chock or equal on both sides of the RV works for me. A king pin tripod is a waste of $$$. I tried one and returned it .

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I believe strong arms would provide better lalteral stability than a tripod. I made up a pair from Harbor Freight cargo bars and it reduced our wiggle 90% with just the landing gear & rear jacks. Hardneing the middle may just eliminate the rest. I have the jacks in hand just need to install.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

We have a tripod, but only use it when we are settled in for 5 months during the winter.

The Newmar frame is narrow due to the duallies and Big Foot had to put the front jacks inside the frame rails. As a result the person sitting in the back can feel some movement when the other is moving around upstairs. The tripod pretty much eliminates that.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We added our permanently installed stabilizers on our Carriage almost 10 years ago because the tri pod/bipod just didn't take care of the interior movement to my satisfaction. When we had the Big Foot Leveling system installed in 2010, while it did offer some stability, there was still too much movement so we put our stabilizers back on and are now back to being nice and stable. This is what works for us. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I did make up 6 pads for under my hyd jacks. Took header boards screwed and glued them cross grain. Helped a bit. Really wasn't sure if the x chocks would do much good with the 6 point. Truly surprised that the last set of jacks are so far forward.

2015 Cardinal 3850RL

F350 KingRanch using B&W Companion Hitch

And my funny little dog

DOVES Member

Archived