In a bit of a spot. Suggestions?

Yarome

When the weather started rolling into Texas I high tailed it out, but got myself into a bit of a spot.

I'm on the leeward side of San Mateo above Soccoro around 7300' and can't seem to find a way down. The main road is washed out. I tried crossing over South Baldy but the gate was locked. I'm down to about a 1/4 of a tank with maybe 8-10 gallons of deisel in the aux tank.

Does anyone know of any other roads that don't show up on the GPS maps? I've yet to find a gravel or cinder road with the exception of one that dead ended at a landing.

Plenty of water and food on board for a good week or so but I haven't been able to pick up any radio chatter to see if the lower bridge has been repaired and don't have the fuel to go down and check it.

TIA

Sorry, I don't know that area. Who owns the gate? Maybe you could get someone out to unlock it so you can get out. A battery powered grinder with a cutting wheel is very handy in an emergency.

It's a BLM and I put a call to voicemail in, but I'm no where near "dire straighs" enough to cut it. Just in the off chance that someone familiar with the area could guide me down.

I'm not sure if you're in the area near Mt Baldy and the Magdelana Observatory (between hwy 60 and hwy 107); or are you further west in the actual San Mateo mountains between 107 and 52. without your actual coordinates its hard to guess. I've spent some time in those areas riding my ATV, there are several BLM & Forest Service dirt roads, some marked, some unmarked. If your GPS only has a general highway map, most of these tertiary roads are not going to show up, you'll need the NM Topo GPS map for them.

My advice would be, don't wait until you're out of resources to make the call, call now and let the BLM and/or Forest Service and/or sheriff know where you are and what the problem is.

Sorry, I missed your mention of South Baldy in my first reading. In that area you want to find Water Canyon Rd. There is a research lab and large Observatory at the high point of Water Canyon Rd, just south of Mt Baldy, those are over 10,000 ft elev. There is usually staff during the week at both, but they do lock the gate across the road up; or follow Water Canyon Rd down into the valley to the east which leads out to hwy 60.

Jim

I was hoping you would chime in, Jim. I'm just West of 107. My first real attempt was trying to go back up and over to Baldy by the observatory, but I hit a locked gate and the 300 and 220 roads on my side are washed out.

Water, food, and power is a non issue for awhile.. my only partial shortage right now is diesel (around 6 gallons). I don't mind doing a little hiking and I already have a voicemail into the BLM office, however, no one has returned my call in the last 30 hours or so.

I just pulled the NM topos. It looks like there a couple of service roads that might be viable. I'll hike those out in the morning.

Any chance you might know where the 220 goes? It looks to be the most heavily travelled.

sorry, I don't recall your roads 300 or 220; and I can't find them on any of the topos I have here at my Colorado summer place. these maps use names rather than numbers for many of the roads in that area.

I am a bit confused, if you're west of hwy 107 and were able to drive to the gate at the base of South Baldy, you had to cross over 107 ? if you can get to 107 you should be able to get out, either north to Magdalena or south to I25. tough to lead you without an exact location.

If the BLM is not answering or returning your msg, try the Magdalena District office of Cibola National Forest, if you're not on Cibola NF land, you're close to it and surrounded by it. or the best bet may be calling the Socorro County Sheriff office, at least you know they'll answer and they probably know those back roads as good as the rangers.

Jim

follow Water Canyon Rd down into the valley to the east which leads out to hwy 60.

I owe ya! I threw the dice.. went up and found Water Canyon Rd.. dropped me right down on 60 like you said and was able to get fueled up in Magdalena. (I had no idea they a campground over there.) That was a pretty tight squeeze though with fuel.. I think I mighta coasted in the last quarter mile. :P

If I am understanding where you are correctly, I haven't been in that exact area, but my map of the area and Google Earth show Forest Road 220 connecting with Old Highway 52 on the East and Forest Road 476 which will take you to NM-52 to the West. Hope this helps!

And I guess I owe you too traveler. You were correct. There was no way I was going to be able to get my trailer up and over.. 220 dropped me right onto 476 and then 52. Long way around for sure and a bit "hairy" a couple of times but everything was passable.

Pulled into Winston and I guess I'll go see if I can get myself lost in Gila NF for awhile. :lol: :lol:

Really appreciate the help there. It was my own fault. I was trying to stay ahead of the weather... tired.. and wasn't paying enough attention to my tanks.

If you see a Surveyor with an American flag on the nose, pull in. I'm sure I can pull up a steak and a cold beer for ya.

Thanks!

I threw the dice.. went up and found Water Canyon Rd.. dropped me right down on 60 like you said and was able to get fueled up in Magdalena.

I have been involved in RV forums for about as long as they have existed, at least 20 years, perhaps longer. At one time I was active on 7 different ones and very active on 3 or 4 of them. Yet in all of that time, this is the very first time that I have seen an RV forum serve as a source of emergency routing. I have seen many an RVer get help figuring out the best route to take for a trip, but never before one where the RVer is running short of fuel and the main route out was closed!

This has been one amazing thread to follow and must be one for the record books. :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

..And I guess I owe you too traveler. You were correct. There was no way I was going to be able to get my trailer up and over.. 220 dropped me right onto 476 and then 52. Long way around for sure and a bit "hairy" a couple of times but everything was passable...

Glad to be able to help and happy that everything worked out for you. My collection of National Forest maps and use of Google Earth and other internet sources has saved my bacon more than once. The last time we were in the Gila NF was right after the floods that took out the Catwalk and closed Gila Cliff Dwellings. Talk about a mess of washed out roads.

I have been involved in RV forums for about as long as they have existed, at least 20 years, perhaps longer. At one time I was active on 7 different ones and very active on 3 or 4 of them. Yet in all of that time, this is the very first time that I have seen an RV forum serve as a source of emergency routing. I have seen many an RVer get help figuring out the best route to take for a trip, but never before one where the RVer is running short of fuel and the main route out was closed!

This has been one amazing thread to follow and must be one for the record books. :rolleyes:

I agree! Made for quite good reading. Real life with plenty of suspense, twists and turns and a happy ending.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

That's good news, glad it all worked out.

I was thinking of you all day, when I wasn't fighting snow drifts on my ATV. still much more snow than normal for June, on our trails up here above 10,000 ft.

I owe ya! I threw the dice.. went up and found Water Canyon Rd.. dropped me right down on 60 like you said and was able to get fueled up in Magdalena. (I had no idea they a campground over there.) That was a pretty tight squeeze though with fuel.. I think I mighta coasted in the last quarter mile. :P

Jim

well done lads, all sorts of things can be accomplished when people work together.

this site never ceases to amaze me, there is a lot of help to be had on here and for a aussie who has visited

a couple of times it is a marvellous place to lurk and gain valuable knowledge of how day to day things work

in the usa .

it armed me with a lot of info that was very usefull the last time I was in America.

mick

Well NOW where the heck am I?!

Just kidding. :P Everything is topped off and all is right in the world. Full tanks... the pantry is overflowing from the grocery and it's getting that beautiful warm orange hue just after sunset with just a scent of rain.

Gorgeous!

Archived