No Engine Brake

floncto

Do you HDT drivers out there pay any attention to the "No Engine Brake" signs seen in various communities? I wonder if they are even legal given that they override safe slowing issues in most places they are posted.

2005 F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel

2007 Coachmen Wyoming 325 RLTS

2 Shih Tzu's - Squirt (Mom), BeBe (Baby)

Me, dis-obey a law? Never. :ph34r:

Seriously, I look at the location and population density of the area. I'll likely use only the lower settings, but still use it. That said, I have a large, effective muffler.

But of course, I would be doing the general population a great service if I removed said muffler, because we all know "Loud Pipes Save Lives". :lol:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Some states have addressed the engine brake problem by signage that states : "Use of UNMUFFLED engine brake prohibited"

This allows trucks to use the engine brake and gives "City-Hall" a response to folks that complain.........."the truck IS ALLOWED to use the engine brake as long as it's muffled".

New FULL Emission trucks have so much "junk" in the exhaust that the exhaust gas's can hardly get out much less any exhaust brake noise.

As a rule I tend to not use the Jake in populated areas here in the West just because it seems like not making any more noise than needed is best.

Some days I use the Jake so much out in the mountains that I have a hard time keeping the rust out of the service brake drums.

HDT's in RV use have very good service brakes so out light RV loads do not tax the brakes much at all and brake life is very good even if you use the service a lot.

All that said........Use as much and as many brakes as you need.........no matter what the sign says.........your still are the ......Captain....

Drive on......(Brake as needed.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We follow the posted rules. It seems Colorado is the rational state that specifies Mufflers for Engine Brakes.

Using the term Jake Brakes in posted signs is illegal as Jake Brake is a registered Trademark of the Jacobson Brake Company.

Sometimes communities go awry on their restriction wording. Going into Deadwood, SD, the signs say no dynamic braking. I wonder what Prius and other electric cars are supposed to do.

The sad thing by outlawing engine brakes, the communities are adding to the risk problem. Engine brakes start working as you remove your foot from the gas pedal, several milliseconds before you can start to depress the brake pedal.

But the restriction is a knee-jerk reaction to twin unmuffled pipes that cause excessive noise. There are noise ordinances for this but why not pass more rules.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I figure safety trumps nuisance so I use the engine brake if I feel it is necessary. I do have a muffler and I really doubt it is noticeable. I figure if ticketed I will just deal with it, as I said safety trumps nuisance.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Driving trucks at night for work for the last 34years. When I'm in my work truck at night I try to be very aware of the areas I use my engine break. Granted my work truck Freightliner Cascadia has very very quiet engine break most of the time I can't even tell it's on myself.

If I'm anywhere near a residential area I absolutely do not use it even with a full load.

There are a lot of areas I do go in that have signs posted no engine break and they are patrolled heavily so most definitely do not use it then either.

Unless of course a stoplight changes quickly obviously my safety and everyone around me is More important than waking someone up.

As for my Peterbilt RV hauler that engine brake works extremely well and is rather loud. And I am again always aware of where I am whether it's posted or not just out of courtesy to other people.

Now I will admit I like to have fun with my train horn in the daytime with people walking down the street. And there's a great story about 2 strippers holding up a sign board while I approached them from a different direction with their backs to me while my wife was riding with me. That was AWESOME.

Charlie

Though it is kind if annoying. Anyone that NEEDS to use an engine break in an HDT when posted not to, hauling ONLY a 5ver, should probably rethink their driving capabilities/habits

JMHO

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

I'll use it if needed, but mostly it is not needed. I will always do what I consider the safe thing, despite any regulations. Also, I doubt you would even hear mine....I can't inside the truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes I pay attention the no engine brake signs. Yes I shut it off. Have come into towns where I haven't seen the sign and still shut it off in case I missed the sign. Just slow down 5 mph under the speed limit unless the speed is 25 mph and all works out fine.

Though it is kind if annoying. Anyone that NEEDS to use an engine break in an HDT when posted not to, hauling ONLY a 5ver, should probably rethink their driving capabilities/habits

JMHO

Mike

Barncats, Could not have said it better

There are those that can turn a wheel and then there are those who are truck DRIVERS

JMHO

Mike

Where's that damn "Like" button?

I play with mine lots, but I avoid as much as possible when the sign says to. I have been pulled over before, partly for using it in town, locally. Mostly , the officer was curious about the truck, and used a combination of things to turn on the lights on a very busy stretch of road. The upshot was, I told the officer that I would use foot pressure on the throttle only to control the Jake, until he could convince me that all the drivers in Grande Prairie could be stopped from doing the "Pass and Squat" maneuver. He laughed, and agreed, about the same time an oil-field truck went by grabbing Jake in almost all 18 gears to avoid the cluster of cars rubber necking at us. Them 'patch trucks tend to run a little louder, 'ya know.

As an aside, my Jake is NEVER turned completely off. I control it with my right foot.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

A quiet jake is not as loud as many cars, motorcycles and even a lot of trucks. As Bob posted the cowboys ruined it. If all jakes were muffled to an acceptable standard we could all use them. In a residential area near my home there is a 14% grade for about 2 miles. I use the brake. In fact I use it a lot. For those that want to challenge my driving ability, I haven't had a ticket or been involved in a wreck in my commercial truck or recreational driving. Your insinuation that useing a jake as your standard of driving ability speaks for its self.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Easy, Randy. Read the original post, or read the cross post in the Class "A" section. The question asked about the use in town. Period. On a 14% grade, you'd be crazy not to use it. That's why mine is never turned "Off". It's quicker to activate/de-activate with a subtle change in foot pressure, than reaching over to the dash, taking my eyes off the impending doom, and turning it on. I have no proof, but suspect that the ECM goes through a series of calculations before even activating from a "power off" situation. I know I can chirp it with my foot like a cricket.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

The Cowboys with the straight pipes have managed to ruin it for all the normal truckers and HDTers......

Just like the Harley guys have....

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you Bob. That's what I was trying to say, without blurting it out. We have 13 bikes of various sizes and breeds, all are quiet. Well, except that old Henderson which had no muffler when it was built in 1927.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Rick, you know, and I know that they're only quiet 'cause you haul them everywhere. You guys doing any major trips this summer, or keeping it low key?

Please e-mail us here.

Aw Darryl, did you have to rat us out? The dual sports got to see Alaska and a bunch of Canada, without leaving the truck deck.

We have one trip planned with the camper rig, to Little Farm on the River in late July. It's the Corn Field Rally, http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=118088 open to all, but especially fun for those with motorbikes. Lots of open cruising, knarly little twisty roads, and everything in between.

We're hoping to do two tours of the southern Smokies, once later this month, and again in August. Both of those trips will be RIDING the bikes.

But none of our bikes have Jake brakes, though Susan's BMW sure acts like it does.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I take it your trip to the southern Smokies will include the Dragon? Watch out for all of the police on that road now. It was a LOT of fun back in the '70's when I used to run the Tail and the Cherohala Skyway but there are WAY too many idiot kids running kamikaze on the road now and the local LEO's make a LOT of money off of them.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Yes, that's the general area, and south from there. Deal's Gap. aka Dragon's Tail, is to be avoided on weekends. The Cherohala Skyway is a hoot, also on weekdays. We rode the Cherohala the first spring it was open, 1996. Got to the end and my bride said, "Let's go back that way too."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

The Cowboys with the straight pipes have managed to ruin it for all the normal truckers and HDTers......

Just like the Harley guys have....

Cheers,

Bob

I'll be the first to admit that I personally, love the sound of straight pipes on a truck (No,I don't run staight pipes) or a nice set of pipes on a Harley (not a fan of straight pipes on a Harley) but I realize not everyone else does, so there needs to be a time and place for me to enjoy

And just to clarify....The key part of my post was "Hauling a 5ver" I think the law is totally BS and a PITA for a commercial driver hauling a heavy load.

Giddy up :)

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that I personally, love the sound of straight pipes on a truck (No,I don't run staight pipes) or a nice set of pipes on a Harley (not a fan of straight pipes on a Harley) but I realize not everyone else does, so there needs to be a time and place for me to enjoy

And just to clarify....The key part of my post was "Hauling a 5ver" I think the law is totally BS and a PITA for a commercial driver hauling a heavy load.

Giddy up :)

Mike

Mike,

I too really like the sound of straight pipes on semi's, and also rode Harleys for almost 50 years, none of which had stock pipes on them...

My Cowboy reference was directed at the meat heads that just have to show off (In town on the Harleys) and Unnecessary use of the Jakes by truckers thru towns and in areas where they don't need to use them.) All for one thing...the "Look at me" syndrome..

Out in the country, you bet I made noise, and loved it... :)

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Archived