How to disable Idle mode on inverter.

Hi Folks......I have the Heart inverter /charger in my coach and noticed that the inverter comes on of its own accord when Im not hooked up to shore power. I dont like this as it has a cooling fan that runs and drains my batteries.

My question is how do you turn off the idle feature so that it only comes on when I tell it to? It has the remote panel and I think there is a way from that panel but not sure how.

Cheers. Jim

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

On mine (Heart interface Freedom 458 inverter by Xantrex) pressing the "inverter" button on the remote panel turns the inverter off or on. Off=no light. On=steady light. If there is shore or generator power present when it is turned on, it goes to stand-by mode indicated by slowly blinking indicator light. Mine is off about 99% of the time.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Thats what I do Paul. It goes off for a while and comes back on all by itself. I am not sure but I think by pushing the inverter button it goes into an idle mode and then if it sees a demand for power it comes back on, I have tried unplugging the tvs and the microwave and turned it off and it still comes back on.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

There "should" be a master switch on the back of the inverter itself. I know on shore power it will default to invert/charge mode (charging your battery bank when on shore power) and you have to unplug in order to change the invert setting to "off" via the panel. I know.. it's kind of dumb to change the "invert" setting in order to kill the default charge mode. Go figger.. :P

No master switch.....cables come right from battery compartment into the device. I even turned off my main 12 volt disconnect in the battery compartment and still had 12 volts on a big cable into the device. Took the disconnect switch off the wall and there are 3 terminals : a hot coming in from the batts and 1 leg to the inverter/converter/transfer switch and another leg to the rest of the coach. I had to remove the one big wire going to the inverter and now at least I have lights and water pump......this is crazy.....

When I get this figured out there is going to be a shut off for that device. With that wire off now I am wondering if I can still run my generator safely as it is also my transfer switch. I am thinking yes but it wont charge the batts which is ok. I can always reconnect that wire if I need to use the gen to charge the batts. I have solar so all is not lost.

Update...this am. After spending all night with the converter/inverter unpowered.....reconnected the power cable to it and it seems to be working now. At least its not coming on of its own volition. I'm not going to mess with it more till we get home but i'm wondering if somehow the electronics reset or something....who knows?

wondering if somehow the electronics reset or something

When my monitor panel goes crazy/missing readouts etc, unplugging the network type cable (large phone type plug) from the inverter OR from the computer board board behind the panel for ten minutes or longer, then plugging it back in, will "reset" the board and the display will return to normal.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Why not just go to the Xantrex website and download the manual?

On my Xantrex there s a sense mode, where it can tell when something of large enough wattage is turned on requiring AC.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

You need to get the manual for both the inverter & the remote panel. I've sold my rig, including the inverter & manuals but there were instructions in them about off, on & standby(idle) & you can adjust the idle mode sensitivity so that while "on" with a draw of less than "x" the inverter sleeps until it senses a need for power greater tha "x".

Sorry I don't have the manuals to give you.

Ron

Yes I have the user manuals in my coach and we have read them through several times trying to get to the bottom of this. The trouble is that they are not in depth technical manuals but simple " end user " manuals. I need the good ones and I cannot find them online anywhere.

As we are presently boondocking it has settled down for now and seems to be functioning normal ...for now. I dont trust it anymore and I need to talk to the gentleman who took over Heart systems from Fleetwood and has his own business now. His name is circulating online along with his phone number.

Archived