Scamp 13 and Subaru forester

Dwelch

Hi,

I am a new member and was planning to full time in a Scamp 13 towed by a Subaru Forester.

Do you all think I would be OK pulling a Scamp 13 with a tow capacity of 1500 pounds , or should I sell the Forester?

Thanka

Look for the towing guide for the Subaru and get the maximum weight off the stickers on the Scamp. If the max trailer weight is more than the towing guide allows you need to change.

Personally having towed at the maximum allowed weight I'd say trade if you are above 80% of the maximum allowed weight. You'll be happier and less stressed as well as having a bit of a cushion if you come across something unexpected like a popped tire, dead trailer brakes or someone pulling out in front of you.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I remember back in the mid 50's my father towed a trailer, granted a small one, with an Austin. We camped all over the southwest, primarily on the Colorado River near Lake Havasu. He used to say he'd have to shift down to third in a strong headwind.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

First of all, welcome to the Escapee's RV Club Dan, and also to the open forums! We are happy that you have joined our family.

I'll echo what Stanley has told you also. I really don't know what the Forester is rated to be able to tow, but you can figure that there will be at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue so that means no less than 150#. And you really don't want it less than that as too little of the weight on the tongue means poor handling. Based upon the weight charts that I was able to find it looks like most years of Forester have a max tow weight rating that is very close to the 1500#. While you might be able to get by, I really think that you would be better served to get a stronger, more weight rated tow vehicle. Not only would it probably be less than ideal to drive, but it would also in time wear down the car at an increased rate since they really are not intended to operate at maximum capacity all of the time.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You should consider the frontal area of your scamp, not just its weight. True, the rounded edges of an egg type trailer give it a better Cd than a conventional box type TT, however its Cda will till be much higher than say a pop-up, like my Aliner. I have towed well over my little 2.4l 4cyl Chevy Cobalt's 1,000 lb tow rating for over 40,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. It fits nicely in the slipstream of my car, which now has 310,000 miles (but needs a new transmission now). But I would never attempt the same feat with a taller trailer with several times the aerodynamic drag. A v-6 powered minivan like a Toyota Sienna or a Honda Pilot with a 3,500 tow rating would be a better choice if looking for a minimal safe TV for your scamp. A full size van is even a better choice. Obviously, the bigger the better where safety and durability is concerned. That said, you should be OK towing for short distances, at low speeds (under 45mph) with your car, just not for extended highway speeds unless you want to rebuild your transmission often.

Chip

Do you actually have the Scamp? Would be good to get an actual weight with it decked out as you will travel. I really like both the scamp and the Forester and see why you are drawn to that combo. A better match would be with the Outback that can tow 3000.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Thanks all,

I don't have the scamp yet the factory says it is around 1380 with the options I want. I don't know if they give optimistic weight numbers to boost sales or if they are straightforward about these things.

Hehe I'm kind of hesitant to trade in the forester as it is a 2015.

But I will if I must.

1380 leaves about 120 pounds for yoir stuff. I imagine the water you carry will take up most of that. Then cloths, dishes, propane and misc. and you will be well over the tow rating. This won't be fun to drive and could be a safety hazard. I own a Forester and I like the car but I wouldn't tow that. Stan's advice about staying under 80% will make the difference of an enjoyable trip or a scary, white knuckle drive. He like many of us have been there and done that.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Remember that the weight the factory is giving you is the approximate weight of the trailer as it leaves the factory. That means that you will have only 120# of your own things, groceries, and water in the trailer to stay under that maximum weight. Water weighs in at 8.3# per gallon so if you carry 10 gallons of water that will only leave 40# more for all of your possessions and food. I do not see any way that you can make this work, particularly if you plan to carry all that you own with you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just love the scamps. What a great little trailer. I hope it's everything you want it to be! I know someone who has a Scamp 13 and they upgraded their Subaru to a truck to tow it. They were not comfortable towing with the Forester. Glad you took everyone's advice and changed vehicles. Enjoy!

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

Archived