40 foot coach and longer, Campsite Problems

Following Dream

I am looking at purchasing a 40 foot or a 42 foot RV. When campground (RV parks) directories state "Big Rigs sites available" , what is the understanding about big rigs? Is a 40 footer not a big rig and a 42 footers is? Are both 40 and 42 considered big rigs?

We (Chuck and Connie) are going to be Full-Timers so Is purchasing a 42' coach going to be a big problem when it comes to getting campsites? We are not planning to do much camping outside RV parks (boondocking).

Welcome to the forums, are you looking at motorhomes or a fiver at that length?

With a bit of care and using the Google map satellite and street view map options you should be able to see just what an RV park looks like without having to trust their description. We found the opinions of park staff iffy, even in our 38 foot fiver that we traveled in some years back, all too often the site was long enough but there was no entry path for a long rig.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We had a 40 footer for 7 years and are now in a 42. Thus far we have had almost no problems with size in the campgrounds. We even got the 42 into a dry camp site at Organ Pipe National Monument which actually lists 40 ft as the maximum length for the CG. I did call the park before we arrived and was told to come on, if there were no longer sites available (they do have some sites on the ends of rows where we fit), they would put us in the Group Camp area. I wouldn't hesitate to get a 42, especially if you fulltime. Our 42 ft Phaeton lives like it is 1 1/2 times bigger than the previous 40 foot Phaeton, and having two potties is great! :lol: There is no reason why you have to live like you are in a monastery when you live in an RV!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

We have found the the term Big Rig Friendly usually means you can park a 40 to 45 foot coach in a site. However, sometimes it takes a bit of maneuvering to get in there but we have always managed. Also, many park web sites state 40 foot maximum. However when we have called and said we were in a 42 foot coach we have always been told yes they could accommodate is; and they have.

There are some older parks that have have 35 foot limits, your not getting the in there but there is usually a park near by that can accommodate larger coaches.

In short, don't worry about it.

15 years full timing, most of it with "big rigs". Our current 5er is 45'. Our truck is 30'. We don't have any "particular" issues finding spaces. You DO HAVE TO research stopping spots a little, though. Like Stan said, we use Google Earth to check out sites and access. We also use the big rig books, but frankly, they do not really know what a big rig is. NEVER trust campground staff. They have no real idea most of the time.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The larger it is, the more research you have to do, and the more restricted you are. All of the experts above have indicated the same...research and you are fine, ad hoc and you may, or may not be. If you restrict your stay to the RV "Resorts" you'll probably be fine. But then, why not go to 45' ?

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

• 3 weeks later...

My HDT set up was ~64 foot long. Never had a problem, but several really tight fits, especially in older state parks.

If I was planning a trip, I would call ahead if possible...

Most all of the newer campgrounds can handle your rig quite nicely, assuming you are adept at backing up.

Good luck :)

Cheers

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Archived