Does Color really Matter? It might!

The Few

For many years, Red Rover was red. A couple of years ago we painted him to kind of match the trailer. Not we are having the trailer painted to match the truck.

A good truck is more important than a matching color.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ralf,

My build sheet says they used DuPont Imron which is the same paint used on most small airplanes. Extremely durable.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I came late to this thread so my answers have already been touched on. However for me, white "looks cleaner" even if it isnt, it matched my trailer ok and will take some vynl application later if necessary. I dont have personal experience but after doing a lot of reading and just doing the calculations, everyone said stay away from the dark trucks for the interior heat, especially with a large sleeper...made since to me, luckily my truck being white was happy coincidence. Happy hunting.

Case in point the below picture was taken after its 1500 mile maiden voyage home (bug collection and all) but it looks pretty good to me! (however I may be bias)

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

A good coat of wax or other protectant goes farther towards keeping it looking nice than the color. Dirt and bugs just don't stick as well to a slick surface.

Our Volvo is dark blue. The Mack is bright orange. Smart is silver, vette is red, p/u is cinnamon, bikes are......rainbow? Tractors are red, green, and blue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I went with black on the Kenworth. Trailer is beige and brown with some black in the decals. Looks good paired up and going down the road. Black is a pain to keep clean, but it always looks good from a distance. 2 things to know when you go with a black vehicle, 1. It looks amazing when it is clean, 2. It's never clean. Like others have said it's nice on a cool sunny day to help warm the truck, not so nice on a hot sunny day trying to cool it down. My wife wants the next truck to be fire engine red. I'm just excited she said there could be a next truck. As long as I get to pick the truck i want, I don't care what the color is.

WOW,

with all of those vehicles and equipment, I would honestly say you have it MADE!!!

No Few.......the DW has it made...........I am just the flunky that slaves at the "Motor-Pool" (Junk-yard).........

I almost went on "Strike" last year and told her I would "Craigslist" all of the old junkers and then take the $$$ and go buy one of those Super-Super Pickups like REAL RV' folks drive..........She laughed and said go ahead, you might get enough $$ out of the junkers to Maybe, just Maybe, get a down-payment on one of those rigs......

The 62 FI Corvette might up the "kitty" a little, but the rest of the rigs are just oil-changes, tires, batteries, etc. etc.

Where was I ............Oh ya, how much air am I to put in the ole F-750 Dump truck tires......

Drive on........(IF I can get one of these rigs to start)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We choose the DRV color scheme that we both liked and had the truck painted to match the major paint color (black). We found a Smart Cabriolet which had the correct color tridium stripe (red) and the dealer changed the panels to match the fifth wheel and the truck (black).

We know that black is a "part time job" but when we fulltime...what else are we going to do in our spare time?!?

For us, it was important for the rig to look sharp and match. It has been a dream of ours. This was the overriding factor.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

We choose the DRV color scheme that we both liked and had the truck painted to match the major paint color (black). We found a Smart Cabriolet which had the correct color tridium stripe (red) and the dealer changed the panels to match the fifth wheel and the truck (black).

We know that black is a "part time job" but when we fulltime...what else are we going to do in our spare time?!?

For us, it was important for the rig to look sharp and match. It has been a dream of ours. This was the overriding factor.

David

Great minds think alike!!

I also believe that a great looking rig, shows pride... Keep up the GREAT work sir, and represent the HDT world!!

The Few

I came late to this thread so my answers have already been touched on. However for me, white "looks cleaner" even if it isnt, it matched my trailer ok and will take some vynl application later if necessary. I dont have personal experience but after doing a lot of reading and just doing the calculations, everyone said stay away from the dark trucks for the interior heat, especially with a large sleeper...made since to me, luckily my truck being white was happy coincidence. Happy hunting.

Case in point the below picture was taken after its 1500 mile maiden voyage home (bug collection and all) but it looks pretty good to me! (however I may be bias)

Hello Darkhorse,

Your truck combination looks GREAT!!

EVEN a "blind man" can SEE that your combination looks GREAT anywhere you go!!

VERY good way to represent the HDT WORLD to the public, I am certain you are the envy to many on the roads!!!

The Few

Hello all,

For those " in the know" that either had their trucks painted, "or has information on the cost to have their truck painted", would you be willing to share that information to give members whom quest the same thoughts, just a simple ballpark figure of cost please?

Example Vehicle: Volvo VNL 780 (color choice irrelevant)

Thank you...

The Few

All eyes will see colors differently. I personally know one person that has much difficulty with the red spectrum. He cant tell the difference between reds and browns. But I guess he can notice other things enough to figure out a red stop light to keep his license.

I personally do like color matched setups of all kinds. I am somewhat a fleet color supporter. However, I put a much higher priority on function over fashion. That's just my OPINION. Nothing more. It only applies to me and my vehicles and belongings. I have trouble with dark greys and solid blacks for vehicles. The asphalt roadways in my area are chip sealed asphalt and the rolling terrain make the dark greys and blacks blend in too well in many situations. So given the choice, I would prefer bright yellow for my vehicles. Or multi-tone colors that include bright yellows and reds.

I'm a work'n on it.

Cost to paint: Like Mark said - 4K+.

I personally have seen the 4K paint jobs and find them unacceptable. Realistically, for a quality job - not a show paint job - you are looking at 6K-12K. Depends on the paint and other factors. That includes disassembling the vehicle....and painting the doors properly, and under the hood. It also included minor body work.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Cost to paint: Like Mark said - 4K+.

I personally have seen the 4K paint jobs and find them unacceptable. Realistically, for a quality job - not a show paint job - you are looking at 6K-12K. Depends on the paint and other factors. That includes disassembling the vehicle....and painting the doors properly, and under the hood. It also included minor body work.

Thank you Jack,

That's just what I needed to know!!!

The Few

We lucked out, bought the trailer used.... used one time, the person passed before he could put more than 1500 miles on it. Bought the truck a year later, low miles and pre-EGR, no emission system. I wanted the truck and trailer to match so it looked like a factory unit, and the Smart car we bought 3 months ago, All white. My sign fella matched the color stripes on the trailer to a "T" for the stripes on the Freightliner. Easy to keep clean. Every color shows dirt and dust, but my maroon Peterbilt was the worse to keep clean. It showed everything. Bugs are the worse for showing up on white paint! In my opinion, buy what you like, you have to look across that hood for a lot of miles. Enjoy the ride!

Bigtrailer

We lucked out, bought the trailer used.... used one time, the person passed before he could put more than 1500 miles on it. Bought the truck a year later, low miles and pre-EGR, no emission system. I wanted the truck and trailer to match so it looked like a factory unit, and the Smart car we bought 3 months ago, All white. My sign fella matched the color stripes on the trailer to a "T" for the stripes on the Freightliner. Easy to keep clean. Every color shows dirt and dust, but my maroon Peterbilt was the worse to keep clean. It showed everything. Bugs are the worse for showing up on white paint! In my opinion, buy what you like, you have to look across that hood for a lot of miles. Enjoy the ride!

Bigtrailer

Now THAT is a very good success story!! A GREAT DEAL on a GREAT trailer, and decals to match!

What did it cost to have them add the decals to match your combination??

The Few

We had a little problem matching the blue, as Holiday Rambler went out of business a few years back. After looking at 25 or so colors of blue with metallic in it, we found it stil is being made. I have a sign fella that has done dozens of my trucks thru the years, so when he told me $125, it was a deal.

BIGTRAILER

Archived