Does Color really Matter? It might!

The Few

Hello friends,

In regards to the color of the HDT you choose is a personal preference, but are you choosing or trying to color match your rig to your 5th wheel when you decide/decided to purchase one??

I have heard from a number of people, that the color WHITE is a safe bet when purchasing a truck, "however" I personally also like white, but would prefer something outside the norm as well..

I have seen Burgundy, Orange, Blue, and Black HDT trucks, and they are VERY NICE, but are difficult to match those colors to exactly the amenities and specifications that I am looking for..

ARE CERTAIN COLORS HARDER TO KEEP CLEAN OR LOOKING NEW THAN OTHERS??

Now before this becomes a "eye sore" debacle discussion, I actually want to hear the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE opinions to color choices.. "If you choose to give one"

Why is this Important to me?? Because, it just is..

I will base my whole set up stemming from a simple color choice of either the 5th wheel or the HDT!!

Thank you " good folks" for your thoughts!!!

The Few

I personally don't think colour is important when looking for a used truck. Buy the wrong truck and you will easily spend more in repairs than paint. Two colours I couldn't live with would be red and black but that is just me. Now I say that every smart car I find in decent shape in my budget seems to be red or black. I think white, silver and sand would be the easier colours to keep looking good.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

My experience with black cars is that they showed dirt the most and required constant washing to keep them sharp looking. I would guess that the darker the color the more dirt will show. There may be a middle ground where a dust colored truck would show less dirt than white. And bug collections are really going to show on white.

If it were not for the cost, I would prefer to paint my truck to match our trailer. My practical side and wallet won't allow for that right now. I did not buy trailer or truck based on color, but I think we lucked out that they seem to look OK together even if they don't match.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I personally don't think colour is important when looking for a used truck. Buy the wrong truck and you will easily spend more in repairs than paint. Two colours I couldn't live with would be red and black but that is just me. Now I say that every smart car I find in decent shape in my budget seems to be red or black. I think white, silver and sand would be the easier colours to keep looking good.

Nigel

Im sorry, I should have also noted that the truck will also be mechanically sound, but I also did say that wanted to hear the positive and negative of COLOR..

This post was ONLY about COLOR...

The Few

My experience with black cars is that they showed dirt the most and required constant washing to keep them sharp looking. I would guess that the darker the color the more dirt will show. There may be a middle ground where a dust colored truck would show less dirt than white. And bug collections are really going to show on white.

If it were not for the cost, I would prefer to paint my truck to match our trailer. My practical side and wallet won't allow for that right now. I did not buy trailer or truck based on color, but I think we lucked out that they seem to look OK together even if they don't match.

Jim

Bravo sir, My thoughts exactly!!

So I am trying to purchase a truck that will come close or at least match the combination much easier/better!!

With the NEWER 5th wheel trailers having that AWESOME paint jobs, it is starting to become more and more limited of a choice for truck colors...

White colored 5th wheel RV's are starting to fade in the inventories.. When compared to most new 5th wheel trailers, white RV's look more dated next to a "painted one"...

The Few

I really don't care that the color doesn't match. But we are patriotic. Red, white, and blue. Red car, white trailer, blue truck.

YOU SIR, are a REAL patriot!!

Allow me to buy you the first beverage of YOUR choice!!!!

Best answer SO FAR!! (smile)

Color isn't important, but it is something that would bug me later down the road..

you last answer REALLY DID it for me.. Silver, Tan , and White are SPOT ON colors that would match ANY trailer without much of a fuss..

All a person would have to do is have "DECALS" to match the trailer, and "BOOM", you are set!!

I love all these expert answers from you good people!!

The Few

We had a charcoal gray Ford and now a gray HDT and to me this is one color that never seems to show a lot of dirt. Love a black vehicle if they would stay clean longer then a few minutes.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

The lighter the color the less it shows dirt. Other than that, there is no real color advantage of one over another. If you "camp" in your truck a lot in hot climates then the darker colors make a huge difference in interior heat....the darker the hotter. It is very noticeable.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Few,

We have way too many vehicles with almost every color represented so it's a toss-up

The Jag and Impala are silver

The F250 is tan& brown

The GMC Jimmy is Dark Blue & Light Blue W/ white removable top

The 71 C-10 4 X 4 PU is RED

The 81 Toyoya PU is YELLOW with a Black topper

The 97 GMC one-ton is Metallic Blue with a White utility topper

The 80 Olds in Metallic Bronze

The Freightshaker is BLACK

The 62 Corvette is BLACK W/ Red int

The 63 F-750 / five-yard dump truck is Purple with Black Bed with White stripes *

720 Bobcat color-matched to the F-750 dump-truck *

T30 Tachugui (sp) mini-excavator color-matched to the F-750 Dump Truck *

82 Tree Surg Industrial wood chipper color-matched to the F-750 Dump Truck *

* The above items were procured for a "Anniversary-Gift- Package" (DO NOT DO THIS BOYS........NOT A GOOD GIFT....she liked the colors though).

The 1959 HS 15 Alum Runabout is POLISHED Al W. a Blue & White 55HP Homelite OB

The 27' Yukon Delta Skiff is White with Bronze stripes and Green Top

61 Cessna 182 polished Al with Burgundy stripes

Etc.....Etc.....Etc....

Have I missed any colors in the "inventory"..........

A BLACK HDT is just big enough to be getting dirty on one end just as you complete washing the other end.........

A BLACK HDT is cozy warm on a bright cold day and HOTTER than H_LL on a Hot day

Bronze or Gold are classy colors that seem to stay clean well and most people like the color.

I gotta go now........Today is Tire-Pump-Up-Day........ya, the compressor is Metallic Green W/ Black belt guard......

Drive on.....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Truck is Volvo Premium Burnt Red, trailer painted same red, black, silver. Smart car red, silver, black trim. We repainted trailer with color numbers from Volvo and Smart to match. DW and I like it but not to everyone's taste. Seems to stay pretty clean except black portion of trailer which shows dirt. White will probably be easiest to match in some way with trailer but wouldn't pass up a good truck just because of color.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Both black and white show certain types of dirt more. I personally don't like white,silver, tan, grey, because they don't stand out. As in easier to miss and pull in front of. The "experts" all say white is the most visible. BULL. The brightest contrast to the background is the most visible. White/silver/grey vanishes in snowy days. This is from very painful personal experience. Bright Yellow and Red stand out no matter where they are. Just glance at the avatar pics above; which HDT's catches your eye first?

Now I realize that HDT's aren't as easy to miss as some vehicles, but simply talking COLOR. Every vehicle I buy is Red if possible. (I'd take the BLack '62 Vette above though!)

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

We had a charcoal gray Ford and now a gray HDT and to me this is one color that never seems to show a lot of dirt. Love a black vehicle if they would stay clean longer then a few minutes.

Charcoal Gray "IS" a very nice color!!!!

The Few

Both black and white show certain types of dirt more. I personally don't like white,silver, tan, grey, because they don't stand out. As in easier to miss and pull in front of. The "experts" all say white is the most visible. BULL. The brightest contrast to the background is the most visible. White/silver/grey vanishes in snowy days. This is from very painful personal experience. Bright Yellow and Red stand out no matter where they are. Just glance at the avatar pics above; which HDT's catches your eye first?

Now I realize that HDT's aren't as easy to miss as some vehicles, but simply talking COLOR. Every vehicle I buy is Red if possible. (I'd take the BLack '62 Vette above though!)

VERY good sir,

Thank you!!!

The Few

Black looks great but it is NOT a color....It is a part time job......

I still like my black '64 Fairlane though.....

I agree,

black Vehicles are hard to keep clean, but when they are clean and shiny, NOTHING beats the looks!!!

The Few

Few,

We have way too many vehicles with almost every color represented so it's a toss-up

The Jag and Impala are silver

The F250 is tan& brown

The GMC Jimmy is Dark Blue & Light Blue W/ white removable top

The 71 C-10 4 X 4 PU is RED

The 81 Toyoya PU is YELLOW with a Black topper

The 97 GMC one-ton is Metallic Blue with a White utility topper

The 80 Olds in Metallic Bronze

The Freightshaker is BLACK

The 62 Corvette is BLACK W/ Red int

The 63 F-750 / five-yard dump truck is Purple with Black Bed with White stripes *

720 Bobcat color-matched to the F-750 dump-truck *

T30 Tachugui (sp) mini-excavator color-matched to the F-750 Dump Truck *

82 Tree Surg Industrial wood chipper color-matched to the F-750 Dump Truck *

* The above items were procured for a "Anniversary-Gift- Package" (DO NOT DO THIS BOYS........NOT A GOOD GIFT....she liked the colors though).

The 1959 HS 15 Alum Runabout is POLISHED Al W. a Blue & White 55HP Homelite OB

The 27' Yukon Delta Skiff is White with Bronze stripes and Green Top

61 Cessna 182 polished Al with Burgundy stripes

Etc.....Etc.....Etc....

Have I missed any colors in the "inventory"..........

A BLACK HDT is just big enough to be getting dirty on one end just as you complete washing the other end.........

A BLACK HDT is cozy warm on a bright cold day and HOTTER than H_LL on a Hot day

Bronze or Gold are classy colors that seem to stay clean well and most people like the color.

I gotta go now........Today is Tire-Pump-Up-Day........ya, the compressor is Metallic Green W/ Black belt guard......

Drive on.....

WOW,

with all of those vehicles and equipment, I would honestly say you have it MADE!!!

The Few

Truck is Volvo Premium Burnt Red, trailer painted same red, black, silver. Smart car red, silver, black trim. We repainted trailer with color numbers from Volvo and Smart to match. DW and I like it but not to everyone's taste. Seems to stay pretty clean except black portion of trailer which shows dirt. White will probably be easiest to match in some way with trailer but wouldn't pass up a good truck just because of color.

I LOVE your color combination!!

You have it all figured out!!!

The Few

The lighter the color the less it shows dirt. Other than that, there is no real color advantage of one over another. If you "camp" in your truck a lot in hot climates then the darker colors make a huge difference in interior heat....the darker the hotter. It is very noticeable.

I also LOVE your color combination!!

You and "suite success" have it figured out to a science " as well as others!!

I also LOVE that "burnt orange" Volvo color, but biased towards either tan, white, silver, or Premium Burnt red (burgundy)

Who do you know owns a green or blue truck???

The Few

I like the looks of darker colors but lighter colors seem to be a little cooler in the sun. For that reason I like our white car and 5er. Ended up with a metallic blue truck so we painted the trailer graphics to match and put a little blue decal on the car. Made a big mistake and painted the bed black. Hot enough to fry an egg on some days.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I like the looks of darker colors but lighter colors seem to be a little cooler in the sun. For that reason I like our white car and 5er. Ended up with a metallic blue truck so we painted the trailer graphics to match and put a little blue decal on the car. Made a big mistake and painted the bed black. Hot enough to fry an egg on some days.

AWESOME!!

I love hearing how owners take pride and putting their own personal touches, to make it all come together nicely!!

I think the color truck you have ( blue) is a fabulous color, and you used creative resources to tie everything to match!!

VERY CLEVER, indeed sir!!

The Few

Archived