I wish to flat tow a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and am considering a Demco Commander Tow Bar with appropriate base plate. There are several other options to consider including Roadmaster and Blue Ox. I would like to hear the opinions of actual users before deciding on which tow bar to buy.

We have Blue Ox and can't be happier. We also use the SMI brake system. Hooks up in a flash!!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We started with a Blue Ox back in the 90's that used a ball hitch. In 2000 we took advantage of an offer of a slightly used Aladdin by Blue Ox, which is the aluminum one and since it was bargain priced we grabbed it and used it for 11+ years. In that time we twice shipped it back to Blue Ox for rebuilding with the first only costing me the price of shipping and the second time it was shipping and parts. By the time we downsized and sold the motorhome it was getting pretty worn and probably due for replacement but I consider that to have been excellent service from a highly respected company.

I can't say that one is better than another as Blue Ox is the only one of the companies that I have used. One thing that I do like about them which I think only they have is that the tow brackets can be removed from the base-plate when not in use so that nothing at all shows on the vehicle.

BX-1128.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We really like our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with an integrated ReadyBrake system. The all-terrain aluminum bar is rated for 8,000 lbs, and NSA supplies arm ends to match the popular base plates.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I would vote for the Blue Ox Tow bar.

We also have the US Gear Unified Tow Break installed for a breaking system... and it works superbly. We pull four wheels down, and can easily hitch, and unhitch, in a matter of minutes. We have not used anything else since we started Fulltime RV'ing 21/2 years ago, so I can not provide a good relative comparison to anything But these two items were the results of my own queries and research, and have proven themselves out.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Any of them is a good choice.

I have used a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar to a Roadmaster base plate for 6 years.

Now using a Falcon 2 Roadmaster tow bar converted to pull a Blue OX base plate.

On both vehicles I used/using the Roadmaster BrakeMaster air brake system with a brake away connection.

It uses no toad battery power to operate

Also I now use a Protect-A-Tow on present Toad.

I do like the way the hook up to the Blue OX base plate is, over how the Roadmaster base plate was.

It takes me maybe 5 to 10 minutes to hitch/unhitch everything. But I am not on a NASCAR pit crew.

And retired so my time cost me 0$ and I am never in a big hurry at my age. :)

Probably takes me 1 minute to just take the storage bag off the tow bar and put it away in the toad. :D

On my 5 month summer trip I hitch up 1 time and hitch/unhitch 5 times until I get back home to Unhitch 1 time. ;)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Blue Ox for 9 years. Like how fast I can remove the tow adapters from the front of the toad when not needed.

If you attend a big Rally, Blue Ox is usually there and will check over you set up and for a few $, refurb it,

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We also use the Blue Ox. We were new to towing 4-down and called their 800 number numerous times with questions. They answered every time, even on a Sunday. (Didn't even laugh at my dumb questions). I would go with them mainly because of their great customer service. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Base plate = Blue Ox (strong and conceals nicely) As Dave said, their support is excellent.

Tow bar = Blue Ox or ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake with the Blue Ox clevis. Real easy to do the hook-up

Braking if using Blue Ox tow bar = user preference. We use the RViBrake 2 and are absolutely behind this little company. Their whole group seems dedicated to providing the best in customer support and quality product.

Note: While Blue Ox has a braking system with their brand on it, the price point in comparables tended to be on the high end. Also, it was the breadbox style; much too cumbersome for us.

Edit: add link to blog post Braking the Toad

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We're using a Roadmaster "Sterling All Terrain" tow bar setup to pull our Jeep Liberty. I really like the way that the towing apparatus that's on the front of the Jeep strips away when we're home and the Jeep is being used as my wife's "daily driving" vehicle. We're using an SMI Air Force One supplemental brake system as well ... and have no complaints with it. It wasn't a cheap solution - but it's certainly a good one!

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Archived