OT: Milwaukee Portaband Saw

SuiteSuccess

Part of my bucket list with recent retirement is learning to weld. I purchased the above steel cutting band saw and it works well but not real accurate on true cuts. Has anyone ever built a jig or frame to make it more like a permanent saw but still removable for travel? BTW I do have a cutoff saw but sometimes need the Portaband.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Just like a hacksaw, keep a constant eye on the blade/line interface, and make small corrections as needed. They're not really a precision machine, but can be a productive tool.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

A cut off blade on a grinder will make a truer cut. Lots of sparks though. Much more dangerous too. More construction worker are injured with cut offs than portaband. Some construction companies have banned them. You are warned. I use a cutoff saw a lot. Don't even own a portaband.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

HI Carl

HAPPY RETIREMENT!!

I'm not sure if the fixtures are still available but Milwaukee and Greenlee both offered the

accessories your asking about. Try port-a-band band saw stand??? Better yet call those companies customer service depts. I have used them in my past life.

KEN

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Carl,

Here's what you really need. Maybe Donna will get it for you for Christmas?

http://victortechnologies.com/thermaldynamics/products/prodList.html?brand=TDC&W2Code=TDC200500&W3Code=TDC301250&W4Code=&W5Code=&W6Code=

I have had one for several years now, and love it. ain't cheap, but any thing worth having never is.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks for the replies.

Glen: in my former life was in the medical field and saw way too many injuries with a grinder and cut-off blade. Already had one major accident since retiring requiring trip to ER. Wife says no more stupidity. What she doesn't know it (stupidity) sometimes comes easy for me.

Rick: maybe when I get good at this. Ken (Roadfitter) can attest I am still taking baby steps.

Bill, Charlie, Ken. Will check your suggestions out.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, swagoffroad.com has a couple of portaband tables. Charlie

I have one of the SWAG tables for my Dewalt. Absolutely love it.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-Accessories_c_35.html

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

I carry plasma cutter, wire feed welder, ports and and handheld grinder. You can cut slightly over and bring to precission with hand held grinder

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Carl,

If you and Donna come to the Cornfield Rally, we can run up to my shop and play with welders and such. It's only about 15 miles from the campground. I have hook-ups there too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick,

Thanks for the invite. Gotta go to Texas and help with some family issues.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

The unmentioned alternate tool is a sawsall, with a little practice and a high quality blade they will cut straighter and faster than a portaband. I'm also a big fan of a 4" grinder with a cut off disc, just know going in that it is also commonly referred to as "the wheel of death" Wear your protective gear and never get your body inline with the cut off wheel that is properly rated for the speed of the grinder

Carl, What kind of welding are you going to tackle? Stick, mig, tig, ??? If you are going to get a stick machine, be sure to get a AC/DC welder. I like my Miller but there are many that work well. Get yourself some 1/8 inch 7014 (sometimes referred to as "beginners rod" because it does not stick at touch so readily as something like 7018) and do some welding. There are classes at a lot of community colleges and at your age :P you can probably audit them for little cost.

On edit, I failed to say something about the portable band saw. Sure, it will cut faster with the saw at 90 degrees to the steel but it will wonder. Try potting the blade in at the far end of the material and begin lowering the saw down the line. It will track much better.

If you are going to do much cutting, buy a band saw. Even the cheap ones at Harbor Freight will do a decent job IF you never let the work slip while cutting. The result is an instant kink in the blade and some lost teeth. This one is a little expensive : http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365544_200365544

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I weld professional and hate a 7014. Know it has a place but is "junk" in our profession. 7018 and tig is my favorite. Mig can look good, very good, and be very faulty. It can do a great job but you really can mess up if you don't know it. Stick is forgiving. It will burn in. It can be ugly and strong. Got a gap, 6010 pass and then 7018. Can do a good looking weld downhill with a 6010 also. Works great with thin metal. Tig can do beautiful work. It is expensive. Low skills, stay with stick welding.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Gonna be mig welding and later aluminum when I get some semblance of good at it. I bought a Hobart 190 Handler and will get a spool gun for the aluminum later on. Spoke to Ken and JW Morgan at length and seems the 190 will do everything I want to do. Basically will be welding angle, plate, occasional round pipe for minor projects for the truck and trailer. Will probably never be doing my own hitches like BMZero but there are just too many times when something welded up nicely is so much prettier than something bolted up, if you know what I mean. Cutting probably not more than 1/4" so if projects get bigger will consider bigger toys. Do plan on a community college course maybe when it's cold out.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, welcome to FRC, Flunked Retirement Club. Did you know I am considered it's unofficial Chairman. Are you in the running for the position.

Hey Phoenix, just trying to get all the fun things into my life that I've never had time for. Remember my father welding before with a torch and a coat hanger. He passed away a few years back and had a lot of old time skills and tricks that I just didn't take the opportunity to learn. He could carpenter, fix any motor, weld, design. These skills are being lost. Hopefully will be a skill I can pass on to my grandkids--something that doesn't have electronics or a keyboard attached to it if you get my drift. That's why I admire all you folks here that have "jack of all trades" skills.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

In high school we had a Old-time Douglas Aircraft and Kaiser Ship Yards welder that was sooooo smooth with torch, stick, mig, submerged arc. brazing, silver , Ni-rod , hard-face he was a Master........

We had a 40 HP hot-saw and for the first month of class we had to saw all of our welds in half so that the Ole-man could grade them.......like Glenn said some welds look good but if you turn them upside-down they might just fall off.........

The ole-man had a lot of companies donate steel rems and big scrap items for us kids to cut and weld so we were never short of metals.

The final test of flame cutting was to write your FULL name in 6 inch high letters on old 24" pipe 3/8" wall and trace the lines outlined 1 inch wide then cut the name out AND........the name had to fall free without hitting it with a slag-hammer........boy oh boy did we murder many tons of scrap pipe......it was really hard.......unless you were the "ole-man".

We had a Dutch kid who's name was Neco Put he was the first to get his name "clean-cut-out"...........My name has 15 letters ......... I had a lot of slag burns on my chaps by the time I had my name drop free inside the pipe........

Enjoy the heat......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived