oletimer

Leonard, it all goes back to what everyone here has said. There have been issues converting HDT's to MH's even in states that allow it. I personally had a DPS clerk insist I had to have a Class A CDL to operate my HDT motorhome when I went in to get my Class A DL. The clerks deal with the same common issues. When you had them a strange issue, they tend to punt. The only Class A or B licenses the clerk in my case had ever seen were CDL's. She had never had anyone want a Class A DL. And her supervisor insisted that her clerk new what she was talking about because she was the most experienced one there. If you wanna make a DPS clerk mad, just ask if the have a copy of the Transportation Code. When they say "Of course" ask if they have ever read it. Then ask them why section 521 says there are 4 classes of "DL" (A, B, C and M) and why 522 has 3 classes of CDL, if there is no such thing as a Class A DL. Needless to say, I got my license from some real angry women.

The response I received from my contacts in the Motor Carrier Bureau of the Texas DPS was a forwarded email reply from his contact in the DL Division. The basic answer was that your P18 restriction wasn't intended to be used the way you are doing it, but that it WILL work and keep your Class A cdl from being downgraded. He also stated that you should not have been required to take a driving test to qualify to drive something you are already qualified to drive. You already have a Class A license, what would they be testing you for. And the final statement was why would you want to pay the $40 extra to renew a CDL that you can not use commercially anyway.

And to clarify your question about Oletimers downgrade. If you are downgraded (by the state) due to the lack of a medical card, your Class A CDL becomes a Class C DL. To get it back, this year, if you prove you had a valid med cert at the time it was downgraded they supposedly will reinstate it. If you didn't have a valid med cert or wait till next year, it is gone. You will have to take the written and the driving test to get your CDL back. There were some that were improperly downgraded by...you guessed it, clerks and that is why they are giving the 1 yr grace period.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Leonard, it all goes back to what everyone here has said. There have been issues converting HDT's to MH's even in states that allow it. I personally had a DPS clerk insist I had to have a Class A CDL to operate my HDT motorhome when I went in to get my Class A DL. The clerks deal with the same common issues. When you had them a strange issue, they tend to punt. The only Class A or B licenses the clerk in my case had ever seen were CDL's. She had never had anyone want a Class A DL. And her supervisor insisted that her clerk new what she was talking about because she was the most experienced one there. If you wanna make a DPS clerk mad, just ask if the have a copy of the Transportation Code. When they say "Of course" ask if they have ever read it. Then ask them why section 521 says there are 4 classes of "DL" (A, B, C and M) and why 522 has 3 classes of CDL, if there is no such thing as a Class A DL. Needless to say, I got my license from some real angry women.

The response I received from my contacts in the Motor Carrier Bureau of the Texas DPS was a forwarded email reply from his contact in the DL Division. The basic answer was that your P18 restriction wasn't intended to be used the way you are doing it, but that it WILL work and keep your Class A cdl from being downgraded. He also stated that you should not have been required to take a driving test to qualify to drive something you are already qualified to drive. You already have a Class A license, what would they be testing you for. And the final statement was why would you want to pay the $40 extra to renew a CDL that you can not use commercially anyway.

And to clarify your question about Oletimers downgrade. If you are downgraded (by the state) due to the lack of a medical card, your Class A CDL becomes a Class C DL. To get it back, this year, if you prove you had a valid med cert at the time it was downgraded they supposedly will reinstate it. If you didn't have a valid med cert or wait till next year, it is gone. You will have to take the written and the driving test to get your CDL back. There were some that were improperly downgraded by...you guessed it, clerks and that is why they are giving the 1 yr grace period.

I appreciate your input and clarification on all three issues. The Section 521 and 522 is like our Ace of Spade. I wish I would've known about it when I made the first attempt at getting mine,...but that's a whole other story.

On another note, do you guys think we could post in the HHRG, a list of "RV Friendly" DMV/DPS office locations? You know,...kinda like we do for our campground locations map?

Thanks, see yall on the road,

Leonard

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

Archived