Goodyear G114 failing

Ronbo

I had tread separation in Stember on one. Yesterday I had 2 more loose the tread. That is 3 total in 8 months. I have done the was. I run them at 125 psi as recommended. I have a TPS that only went off on 1 because it got a slow leak.

What tires are others running on 17.5 inch rims that are lasting.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We have been running G114 since 2008. We replaced 2 because of road shrapnel. The remaining 4 were replaced last year on a 6 year basis.

No problems with us. We run about 110 psi.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ron,

I have the G114's so I will be following this thread. Have you checked your individual wheel weight?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

No. Different sides. I am going to dealer tomorrow and see about replacing all original tires. I already have a claim number. I'll keep all informed.

Ron C.

Please keep us posted about what GY has to say about your tire problems. We are on our second set of G114's since July 2009 and have not had a problem. I run them at 110psi for our weight of 17K pounds. Usual travel speed is under 65mph. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Sounds like Goodyear. Don't believe I would buy one.

What brand G rated 16" would you buy?

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Ron, After trouble with our Sumitomos we gave up and went to Bridgestone R 184 215/75R H rated. So far with 5000 miles absolute even wear. We did have them balanced when we bought them. We also dropped from the max 125 psi to 100 psi as recommended by Bridgestone. We have had our rig weighed twice and know the weight at all 4 corners. I didn't want to get into 4 different pressures so I set them all to the max weight corner. The truck tire dealer that installed them asked why would you not trust the engineers who rate the tires and psi? I'm happy we listed to them and many on this board. Softer ride and less jerk when hitting a pothole. They aren't cheap, $2225 out the door with all the extra taxes and EPA stuff they have to add in California.

I had tread separation in Stember on one. Yesterday I had 2 more loose the tread. That is 3 total in 8 months. I have done the was. I run them at 125 psi as recommended. I have a TPS that only went off on 1 because it got a slow leak.

What tires are others running on 17.5 inch rims that are lasting.

Ron,

Are you running G 614's?? Kind of confusing.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

They are g114's and are 17.5's. After weighing all corners 125 is what was recommended. I am almost maxed out. If I have to buy tires I will probably look for something else. We will see what they say tomorrow.

Ron C.

If you look on the internet you will find that these tires do peel the tread off. Goodyear is good about covering you but I would rather not have to deal with it at all

Ron C.

We have always had bad luck with Goodyear tires. Car, truck and DRV. They always stood behind them but you still have all the trouble regardless. We have had enough. We on our vehicles use Michelin and on our Teton.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I also run the G114. We just started on our 5th year, so it is about time to replace. My biggest concern with other brands are where they are made. Goodyear is the only USA made tire. also the Michelin only has a 62 MPH rating. Not a fan of Goodyear, but to me there is not much choice.

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Ron's trailer is a larger trailer with 2 axles and a heavier wheel position that requires inflation of the G114 to 125 psi. His wheel position loads are heavier than many of y'all.

Dick you did well. You should not have four different pressures on a close multiple axle trailer. The heaviest wheel position load dictates the correct inflation pressure for all trailer tires. This is industry standard. Tires across axles should have the same inflation pressure. Multiple close axles (2 or 3 close axles) with the same tire configuration (single or dual) should all have the same inflation pressure, which again is based on the heaviest wheel position.

For Ron this correct pressure is 125 psi based on his heaviest load. Anything less and he would be under inflated on the heaviest wheel position.

Bridgestone R184 is also a good tire the difference is that it is speed rated to 65 mph. The G114 is 75 mph.

The G114 (a 17.5" tire) is a good tire in this weight class. It has a good history. This does not mean that there could not have been a defect. Any brand of tire or any component can have a bad batch or maybe some process failure that may have gotten wonky resulting in some bad tires. There are other options in the 4805 weight capacity and people have their preferences. There are only a couple with 75 mph sped rating and Goodyear is the most popular choice.

With that said there are other options to ponder. Not absolutely necessary but something to consider. Since the loads are near the capacity of the tire there are a few 235/75R17.5 tires with a 6005 lbs. capacity. Certainly the rim capacity and size also becomes a factor but as long as the rim capacity exceeds the actual load then the larger tire could be used and would provide greater strength for the same load. Rims would need to be 6.75" and checked with the specs. This is the normal width of a 17.7" rim These tires would run cooler because the loads would be less for the construction of the tire and inflation pressures would be less. These are 62-65 mph speed rated tires. spacing between tires would need to be considered because the overall diameter of the tire is a little larger.

Some brands with this size and weight capacity are Michelin and Hankook. I do not see that Goodyear has that tire size/weight capacity.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Ron, After trouble with our Sumitomos we gave up and went to Bridgestone R 184 215/75R H rated. So far with 5000 miles absolute even wear. We did have them balanced when we bought them. We also dropped from the max 125 psi to 100 psi as recommended by Bridgestone. We have had our rig weighed twice and know the weight at all 4 corners. I didn't want to get into 4 different pressures so I set them all to the max weight corner. The truck tire dealer that installed them asked why would you not trust the engineers who rate the tires and psi? I'm happy we listed to them and many on this board. Softer ride and less jerk when hitting a pothole. They aren't cheap, $2225 out the door with all the extra taxes and EPA stuff they have to add in California.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Archived