Route Suggestions - Durango CO to Yellowstone NP

jmarxen

We'll be returning back West later this summer (July and August) and plan to explore Colorado more before traveling from Durango to Yellowstone National Park. We have a 40 ft towing our Honda CRV. Looking for possible routes There is CO Route 13/WY Rt 789 that appears to be a compromise by a more direct Northern route (At least looking at Google Earth). Has any one traveled on Colorado Rt 13/WY 789 North toward Wyoming, or is there a better route?

Thanks,

Jim & Nancy

Newmar Mountain Air

When I lived in Steamboat Springs I would occasionally use 13/789 up to Wy, but it wouldn't be my first choice to get from Durango to Yellowstone. I would head NW from Durango into Ut and 191 through Moab, Green River, Price to I-15 north through SLC, Ogden, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and then 20 to W Yellowstone.

Other reasonable options out of Durango would involve going over Red Mtn Pass, which many RV'ers prefer to avoid.

13/789 is certainly doable in your rig, its a back country 2 lane through high desert ranch land, but unless you have other reasons to go to Craig, Co, it wouldn't be anyones choice to use from your starting point.

An option to Jim2's route would be to stay on US-191 instead of taking US-6 to I-15. There is some mountain driving between Helper and Vernal and then North of Vernal you go up and down through Flaming Gorge. From Rock Springs to just southeast of Jackson is a good two lane without much of a grade up or down. Close to Hoback junction and through Jackson you climb to Yellowstone passing through Grand Teton National Park.

Archived