Whining 10 speed

GlennWest

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glenn,

As the subject of this thread is a whining 10 speed I can assure that some 10 speeds whine and some do not.......My present 10 std speed Eaton Roadranger (Or or the wifes slang "Roadrager") is very smooth and makes no noise with 1,031,XXX MILES TOTAL and 13,000 miles since a rebuild at the same time that the reman M11 was installed.

The tranny rebuild was charged out at $628.00 so it was a pretty basic bearing and shift fork replacement job and the cost of remove and reinstall was part of the engine job so that was just the tranny cost.....

The Freightshaker is just that ........on most roads it has some rattles in the doors and windows that are the norm for Freighliners after the first 100 miles of use.......or maybe a bit more miles..........anyhow on a SMOOOTH road the old thing get so smooth and the rattles stop that it's kinda like one of them V o l v 0 rigs that those rich dudes drive.......

Ya it gets a bit scary when the old Freightshaker turns into a V o l v 0 ........ but all I have to do is wonder over the fog-line to the rumble-strp to get the windows to rattle again and then things seem normal.

The deal with a $10K truck is IF you have time between your work-jobs it is not rocket work to put some elbow grease into a truck and make it better.

I am presently blessed with a smooth no-leaks engine and drive-train and I tend to top out at 65 MPH (We are retired) so even tandem with 3:08 gears the drive lines are not too fast so with tight yokes , slip-sleaves, and balance we are blessed.....so far......

HDT's are bit unlike LGT's in that HDT's are "ReNewed" more than repaired........On LGT's parts likely fail but on HDT's components likely start to age and leak or vibrate well before they fail........some things like trannys and rear-ends often complain for hundreds of thousands of miles and may never fail on you......

Seldom does anyone talk about "Duty-Cycle" but as you know it takes a pretty heavy duty welder to be rated above 80% Duty-Cycle, so consider that a Class 8 truck even with the largest RV hitched is likely idling a long at about 30% Duty-Cycle. My old Freightshacker spent the first 1,018,000 miles of it's life with a 105,500 lb permit so my RV load of 15,000 lbs is just a bit over bobtailing.......

The forum has pretty sharp opinions regarding auto vs manual trannys and it is understandable that most car and pickup drivers are leery of more that 3 or 4 gears........HDT trucks have low speed engines so they NEED more gears it's just the way it works. Some folks like manuals and get along very well, others like Autos. I am OLD so when I was young all HDT's had manuals so I never gave it any thought. Now I am retired and if I wanted a auto I would have a auto, but most days I enjoy the manual some days I wish I had a electric powered truck but.......anyhow life is like Forest Gump said "it's like a box of chocolates.....sometimes you just don't know what you like till ya try it" (something like that).

Try it, if you like it fine.......if you don't, sell it to someone else to try.......life is adventure......

Drive on..........and enjoy

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived