Whining 10 speed

GlennWest

Howdy Glenn,

Sell your dually, ya I know your going to take it in the shorts I have been trying to sell my Dodge for over a year at what I think is a reasonable price they just don't hold much value as they get older. Anyway sell the dually and buy the HDT, you should have some money left over for repairs if needed, this ASSUMES your dually is paid off if not, your still screwed. Thats what makes my Dodge hard to sell folks can get a bank loan on a brand new truck but can't get a loan on one selling for a third of the price if its more then a few years old.

Dave

Got to have replacement before selling but that is my intentions. Only reason for the dually is towing and commute for work. Going to get Smart for commute. DW against the Smart but all is in my name. Dually is financed though. Interest not bad and spending money on land and such.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't relate plates to shims. Thank you.

Gen 1 is same springs. Gen II are different. BUT this is a small detail and chump change compared to other problems.

My question is you are asking about a singled truck with specific WB in another post and say you want an "auto" trans. So why are you even considering a tandem with a standard trans?

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I have been looking for over a year and found nothing ready to go that I could pay cash for. I can 10k. Also this truck came up after that was posted. I was going to hunt for a truck and single it myself and built a bed for a Smart at my place I'm fixing up. Yes I would rather have an auto. I also would rather have a newer truck. But we don't always get what we want.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have been looking for over a year and found nothing ready to go that I could pay cash for. I can 10k. Also this truck came up after that was posted. I was going to hunt for a truck and single it myself and built a bed for a Smart at my place I'm fixing up. Yes I would rather have an auto. I also would rather have a newer truck. But we don't always get what we want.

All I'm sayin is that you may regret not getting what you want (or at least close to it) from the get go

Some have looked for longer than you to find what they want.

Something suitable WILL come around eventually.

If you want a "ready to go" truck than pay the man. If you want a hobby/project and you have the time and patience buy something cheaper.

There's no easy answer and you need to do a lot of homework and pay some to verify condition. And unless you're buying new, as you've found out, there is little chance of finance.

Good luck on the hunt we've all been there.

"Then pay the man". You are insulting. I have posted here there is no way I can come up with this much cash.

What is insulting is that you expect someone here to answer how to get a "ready to go" truck for 10K.

Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry we don't have a solution for your problem.

I understand that the springs are the same front and rear axles on generation 1 trucks. You mean this is wrong?

Yes the springs are the same.

My truck sat low on the passenger side because of a bad spring, i changed both along with the tongue spring as the bushings were worn.

I'm just saying if you buy a 10K truck, get ready for some surprises, and if you can do all the work your self as I have, you will get the truck you want in time, as I have.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Thank you sir. I know the a/c needs work. That I can do. Has air leaks, not uncommon but I want to fix that also. Sure it will need shocks, most do. Know it needs a driver seat or upholstered. Owner very upfront with this and why he is asking 10k.

Just to clarify...

Based on everything you have said, as well as the pictures, I would be all over that truck..and as I previously said, if the dyno works out, and you can swing another potential ~$5K for unknowns it would be in my driveway right now..

Go for it man..

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

In post 11 of this thread, I suggested you "go for it". I stand by that statement. It's cheap enough so that if you need to some repairs, it's bearable.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here is the truth. Almost any 10K truck will need work over time. How much is the "crap shoot". I figure you know this - but if you don't have at least another 5K available "up front" and reserved for the truck "repairs" (not improvements) you may find yourself in a bind. Nothing wrong with a 10K truck, and it may never need anything in the first year. But JUST putting on new rubber (if it has 8 year old tires on it) will be a major expense that you have to factor in. And that is not what I mean by the "repair" fund.

The AC issue is pretty likely the lines going to the sleeper. Those lines cost about $300 for the parts, if I recall correctly. That is just an example of a repair that can add significantly to the "cost". But if you can do the work yourself - and have the TIME to do it - then you can really cut down on the total expenses. But if you think you will buy a dead-reliable truck for 10K you are probably going to be disappointed. You are going to put significant work into a 10K truck to get all the "little things" up to the reliability level of a pickup that is newer. Statistically, that is the most likely outcome. But as long as you know that and are willing to deal with it then the 10K truck could be an excellent option. But you do have to be prepared to put some time and money into it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Eyes wide open Jack. Money for repairs isn't an issue. When I work, 4800 clear weekly. Then weeks off. This is when I can tend to those things. Thanks everyone for all the help and comments. Ya'll are great. I'll likely get it if it checks out as good as it sounds. The owner basically wants it to go to another rver so it will be taken care of. He really likes it but just don't use it much anymore.

One last thing, Glenn. If that is a manual 10 - which is sounds like it is - then at least consider getting a Gearmaster for it to help with your shifting training. That assumes you do not already know HDT manuals. While it is a significant investment it will make you life SO MUCH easier. And you can resell it on the forum later for probably much of your "investment".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Glenn,

When I was a younger puppy I used to fly with this OLD geezer Capt and we would be level at 32.000 ft and Capt would smile and gaze down at Mexico City and say "Look down there son........Plenty of troubles, BUT .......up here they look pretty small........

So Glenn maybe you might want to consider a look at your RV-life from a "higher-altitude".......

Your current rig is likely pretty nice BUT it is not a very good match for your larger trailer.......you seem to agree that a HDT will likely be a better "ride".....

As Donald Rumsfield said " we have Known - known's.......known-Unknown's.......AND Unknown-Unknown's in life, war, AND Trucks.......(Will ya know he said something like that......)

Anyhow maybe IF you ficus-out to the larger picture you might consider that almost ALL of the used RV / HDT trucks are Financed even though likely only payment was paid for the purchase.......then......the "real" payments start.....you know like back-up-cams, new GPS, LED lights, Stainless visor, tires, oil, and the list NEVER ends........

Maybe not having a banker as a partner in your HDT is a GOOD thing......

Life is a grand "experiment" and your not very content with your current tow-rig so you might want to trade your current "Dually-experiment" for a "HDT-experiment" and IF you do not like the "HDT-experiment" it is highly likely that you will sell it at a far less-loss that you have IF you sell your current rig.

Maybe the $10K HDT is a good "experiment", maybe not so good, but I can tell you that $35k or $45k or $85k trucks can also be a heck of "experiment" as well.........you just have more $$$ at risk......

I used to sell new aircraft and of course needed to deal with trade-in aircraft.........one day I would up with a 3 way trade that resulted in me owning a VERY hight time small freighter airplane. This aircraft had been owned all of it's life by two brothers. one bro flew it 5 nights a week and the other bro maintained the airplane 5 days a week. If this airplane was a HDT it would be 15 years old and have 3,500,000 miles on it.

Many folks loved to look at the airplane (it was stunning to look at....it looked NEW) but when they looked at the stack of logbooks they would shudder at all of the airframe time. The airplane did not sell right away so I said what the heck , I just use it and the more I used it a funny thing happened..........IT never broke-down ever.......

The brothers had used the airplane for many thousands of hours but in all of those hours EVERYTHING was renewed, repaired, AND many improvements were made that even NEW aircraft lacked.

The sad / happy ending to my ownership of the airplane was that a very savvy older pilot viewed the "stack of Logbooks" as not time but as exceptional care of the airplane so he paid my high-price ( I came to like the airplane so much I jacked-up the asking price) so the happy thing is that he bought a great aircraft and the sad part was that I had to start flying New aircraft that often had too many "bugs" to work out........

Sometimes newer is not always better.....

Geezer preach-time is over.........time for some prune juice......

Regards

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

One last thing, Glenn. If that is a manual 10 - which is sounds like it is - then at least consider getting a Gearmaster for it to help with your shifting training. That assumes you do not already know HDT manuals. While it is a significant investment it will make you life SO MUCH easier. And you can resell it on the forum later for probably much of your "investment".

It already has a gear master. It is a Super 10 according to owner. He said he had some problems getting up to speed on it. Going back in same hole threw him. I have never driven one. Watched several videos. It will be interesting. lol Also I am more comfortable with 10k in an unknown than several 10ks. May hate this truck. Don't think so but this is an unknown.

With your experience around big trucks in the past I think that this 10k truck is a no brainer, bring it home and start making it your own as time and finances allow. You have more previous mechanical experience and abilities than better than half of the HDT owners on the site before they bought their trucks. From your initial post about the trans whining, replacing the bearings would probably cure the noise or as I posted before look for a remanufactured unit from a reputable source. If you go to the effort to pull the tranny it's worth looking at the clutch and probably replacing it if their is any significant wear. With your career as a welder you should be able to source most any materials and/or needed skilled labor/knowledge you might need, such as specialty fitters, riggers, HVAC mechanics etc.

Yea those old trucks we would do bearings at 500k and complete liners pistons bearings at 1m with the Cummins. They were easy to work on. No electronics. choked them down. This was 70s and early 80s trucks. Don't remember the torque on heads but we used 6' torque wrench.

Same with the 90's cats, roll in bearings at 500k, run the overhead and maybe some reman injectors, put it on the dyno ad see a 425 pull 440 or 450 hp, run it to a million miles, put in cylinder kits bearings reman heads and send it out the door for another 500k.

The new ones are similar but have better materials and electronic management systems that are amazing when they work but when they fail their isn't an easy roadside repair. The important thing to remember is that they are still nuts and bolts and the electronic stuff is really pretty reliable but when it fails you need help and that's where this forum is so great with it's collective knowledge

I, too have a $10K" truck. I wouldn't be scared of a slight whine in the tranny...mine does that too. It also has a vibration right at 65 mph that shakes the stick enough to drive me bats. So what. Yes, there are continually small things going wrong...air leaks, engine fan clutch stuck, etc. You sound like a handy type to fix the small stuff. One point--if you get it use it a year and don't like it...its STILL worth $10K...unlike the $75K truck which is now worth $55K. I will warn you that shifting gets annoying if you are doing a lot of small town driving. Take your time..shifting a S-10 is different but you will catch on to the timing. Then its nice. Out on the highway--you will LOVE the HDT over the Dually.

I'd be concerned about 3 things. How are the tires? Rubber is EXPENSIVE. Is the motor in good shape--any leaks? (you say it is). And what shape is the body. Rust holes or air leaks around all the side windows are annoying!!! Also check to make sure the clutch brake works properly. Anything else is a pretty easy fix. Manual trannys are a dime a dozen at the scrapper...and no big deal to fix either.

As a point of reference..I have a farm tractor with a standard Eaton 10 speed in it. At 2600 rpm in 5th---it whines so load you need ear protectors. And thats NORMAL. Different use..but maybe relevant?

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Front tires 50%, rears 80%. No cracks. Does not have oil leaks, has air leaks. Body is good. All this is what I was told. He says in frame at 800k. It has got to go for a dyno before I buy it.

Hi Glenn,

My HDT cost me $14,000 last August with a wooden bed and the TrailerSaver hitch; still tandem. Had been converted for RV use already but not used much since and some wiring work yet to be completed. The engine blow-by was right at the limit for the 12.7L Detroit; horsepower was also right at spec limit. So far I've put on about 4,000 miles. It had 907,000 when I bought it; the conversion was done at about 903,000 I believe.

I've put a few thousand into repairs and maintenance. The engine may need an in-frame overhaul soon, but so far it's not burning any oil that I can detect, and gives me about 8 to 8.5 MPG towing at 65 MPH (hand calculated from two or three fill-ups). There is constant blow-by coming out the bottom vent tube, but then this engine is pre-EGR etc. Still I have the feeling it would feel more peppy and get better mileage, and blow less fumes, if it got overhauled. However I'm not planning to drop $10K+ any time soon to find out!

I have also gotten the A/C recharged (seems to have held for the past 8 months), replaced the brake air compressor (was throwing quite a bit of oil into the holding tanks), replaced the skylight, replaced the front bumper and one long bottom side fairing, replaced all the cab suspension components, new air dryer, oil & filter change, fuel filters twice, new fuel pump and lines, coolant drain and flush, new radio and speakers (5 speakers were missing when I bought it) and some minor items I'm probably forgetting. Not all of these things were essential, of course. Oh and my tires are about 8 years old with less than 10,000 miles on them! So theoretically there is a huge expense just waiting until I get to it...

At this point I'm hesitant to invest any major money into upgrades such as a new (proper) metal bed for Smart Car loading and possibly singling it. First, there is the question of whether the engine overhaul will need to be done soon. But more importantly I'm not certain the 770 is the right model for me and how we plan to use it. I really don't need the condo or sleeper space at all. And I'm concerned about overall length. So for me, a 430 might be the better model, or even a day cab unit.

All that said nevertheless, I'm glad I bought this truck and feel it has, on the whole, treated me fairly well. Mostly I see it as a very valuable learning experience, not to mention a lot of fun and a cool hobby. You may already have a lot more experience than I did with heavy trucks, so this may not apply the same to you. But I am happy to have gotten into the HDT ownership world at fairly reasonable overall cost. And I think I will be able to sell my 770 without taking a bath on it, when the time comes that I find a more ideal HDT for my needs.

My advice, FWIW, is to look very seriously at that $10K model 610, and if it's as good as it sounds so far, go for it. You'll get valuable experience driving and owning an HDT, and you'll very likely get back out of it most of what you invest, whenever you sell it, as long as you don't go hog wild on upgrades. It would probably be wise to drive it for at least 6 months before investing in a new bed and/or singling it. And always keep in mind that this first truck may well be a stepping stone to your more ideal truck one or more years later.

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Just my opinion for what it's worth but a blowby measurement while on the dyno is an important indicator of engine health

x2 on blowby. Usually done as a matter of fact.

No less than 80% advertised HP.

Injector test (run on one cylinder at a time)

Volvo is famous for rust thru on the bottom door edges.

And that useless roof fairing comes off easily.

I don't think you can go wrong with this one if it dyno's well.

I have decided to wait and get a newer truck. I really want an ultrashift and the DW would drive it too. She not driving a 10 speed. Anyone wants a cheap truck ready to go call him. He is very nice acting man. Very upfront about the truck also.

Archived