Sold - Affordable Treed Water Front Property - SOLD

Imagine waking up in your hammock to the songs of wild birds, children or grand children lost for hours digging up turtle eggs on your private beach, the sounds of laughing and splashing while swimming, fishing along the lake, bonfires at night on your beach, shooing the deer from your garden, feeling the constant gentle breezes off of the lake, the rustling of leaves trees from your oak, hickory or sweet gum trees, kids picking up hickory nuts for Thanksgiving/Christmas, a crackling fire in the fire place overlooking the lake and the almost total lack of winter.

Property Size and Location: 2.755 acres, more or less, situated in Anderson County, Texas. The property ownership begins in the middle of the Lake and come out from there.

Access: 337.97 feet, more or less , of the tracts border a paved and county maintained road, Anderson County Road (ACR) No. 2124.

Your Private Beach and Beach Front: 429.81' wide with about a total of 1/4 acre of a deep sugar sand beach area that fluctuates with the lake levels.

Utilities:

A.) Private Water Well with 5.5" steel casing on the property

B.) Electrical Provider: Oncore Electric Co., power poles, meters and lines on property
C.) Water Providers: Tucker Water Supply 903.391.5200, there is one (1) water meter on one tract and one connection box on another.

D.) Sewer: Currently None - Septic to be installed by purchaser.

E.) Internet: satellite or with Verizon wifi - typically 4-G

Annual Area Weather: Annual high temperature: 75.8°F , annual low temperature: 53.6°F , average high temperature: 64.7°F , average annual precipitation/rainfall: 46.66 inch & the average annual snowfall: 0

Home Owners Association: None

Deed or Building Restrictions: None known

Oil, Gas and Other Minerals: All minerals were previously reserved by predecessors in title

Annual Property Taxes: $119.55 for 2015

Views: Stunning views of the birds, deer and other wild life and of the lake.

Trees: Primarily very, very large, old growth oaks, hickory and sweet gum trees.

Soil: Deep sugar sand covered in native wildflowers, grasses together with areas of Fescue and St. Augustine.

Elevation: 216', the lake and surrounding property are all situated within a class "a" flood zone.

GPS Point: 31-37-47.38 N, 95-4613.09 W

Photography: Photograph taken in 2015.

Brief Property History: Originally the 32 acre tract of land, with the lake in the center, was originally surveyed into small tracts in the 1970's. The land and it's surveyed tracts were going to be a private hunting and fishing resort. The developer defaulted on a loan before selling many of the properties and the remaining properties were purchased by a Trust. Since then, the Trust has been purchasing the area property as it has become available. The Trust has accumulated some 1,500 (+-) acres that now encircles the lake. The Trust is also the single largest lake front property owner. We knew the heirs or family members and had the ability to act faster than the Trust in obtaining these properties. These two combined tracts, now make up this single sale tract. These combined tracts of land that are being offered here are the unquestionably the crown jewel on this lake.

SALE PRICE: $37,500.00 Dollars or for about the cost of a new truck or car, which one will last the longest?

CONTACT OWNER: Mike at acelandman@gmail.com for answers & additional pictures.

post-52043-0-46950900-1432321658_thumb.jpg

OUCH !

1. FleurDeLis-5-ForLists.png Commander’s Palace. Uptown 1: Garden District & Environs: 1403 Washington Ave. 504-899-8221. Certainly the best-known turtle soup in town, and–since the demise of Brennan’s on Royal Street–probably the best. The recipe here spread not only to the other Brennan restaurants, but most of the gourmet bistros of the 1980s. There’s spinach in it, among other things.

2. FleurDeLis-4-ForLists.png Cafe Adelaide. CBD: 300 Poydras St. 504-595-3305. Like many things here, this version recalls the cooking at Commander’s Palace in the 1980s. That included one of the great turtle soups, the recipe for which turns up here, at the Bourbon House, Dickie Brennan’s Steak House, the Palace Cafe and most other Brennan family restaurants.

3. FleurDeLis-4-ForLists.png Arnaud’s. French Quarter: 813 Bienville. 504-523-5433. A little tomato, a lot of turtle meat, and a fine spice level.

4. FleurDeLis-4-ForLists.png Muriel’s. French Quarter: 801 Chartres. 504-568-1885. Another descendant of the Commander’s version, but very well made at that–enough so that the place is becoming famous for it.

5. FleurDeLis-4-ForLists.png Annunciation. Warehouse District & Center City: 1016 Annunciation. 504-568-0245. Chef and co-owner Steve Manning is one of the city’s best soupmakers, to the point that I never ask what the du jour is–I just get it. Or I get the turtle. Made in the old style, dense and arrestingly lusty, it may be the city’s best soup for a cold day.

DesFamilles-TurtleSoup-.jpg

6. FleurDeLis-3-ForLists.png Criollo. French Quarter: 214 Royal. 504-523-3341. This is one of the few dishes from the old restaurants of the Monteleone Hotel to make the jump into the hotel’s new, all-day restaurant Criollo. Dense, dark, full of complex flavors.

7. FleurDeLis-3-ForLists.png Court of Two Sisters. French Quarter: 613 Royal. 504-522-7273. An outstanding version of the old-fashioned turtle soup, with flavors of lemon, sherry, pepper, and turtle balancing each other out into a superb whole.

8. FleurDeLis-3-ForLists.png Porter & Luke. Metairie 1: Old Metairie: 1517 Metairie Road. 504-875-4555. Chef Vincent Manguno worked in a number of restaurants where he might have picked up his recipe for turtle soup. Suffice it to say that the version here is a great one, with enough pepper that you don’t need to add any.

9. FleurDeLis-3-ForLists.png Cafe 615 (Da Wabbit). Gretna: 615 Kepler. 504-365-1225. Surprisingly delicious for a place specializing in poor boys and seafood platters, The recipe is very old-fashioned, a good thing. More hard-boiled egg in here than one usually finds anymore.

10. FleurDeLis-4-ForLists.png Annadele Plantation. Covington: 71518 Chestnut St. 985-809-7669. Annadele’s kitchen won a prize for its turtle soup some years ago. That’s easy to figure. It remains the best version of the potage anywhere on the North Shore, with that peculiar piquancy that makes turtle soup different from its other dark-roux relatives.

11. FleurDeLis-3-ForLists.png Bon Ton Cafe. CBD: 401 Magazine. 504-524-3386. One of the famous versions, this old Cajun restaurant has gone with mock turtle soup for a long time, but it is much loved anyway. The large lemon component reveals its antiquity.

12. FleurDeLis-4-ForLists.png Austin’s. Metairie 3: Houma Blvd To Kenner Line: 5101 West Esplanade Ave. 504-888-5533. I’m pretty sure that Ed McIntyre’s restaurants (the two Mr. Ed’s, Mr. Ed’s Oyster Bar, and this one) gets his soups from a commissary. This explains their consistency of goodness, with the turtle soup being the best example of that.

New Orleans-style turtle soup is as unique to our cuisine as gumbo. Unlike the clear, consomme-like turtle soup eaten in most other places (including almost everywhere in Europe), Creole turtle soup is thick and almost a stew. The most widely-served style of turtle soup in the area is descended from the one at Commander’s Palace, which is distinctive in using as much veal shoulder as turtle and in including spinach as an ingredient. Good as that was, the soup formerly served at the now-extinct Brennan’s was the definitive version.

The toughest challenging in making turtle soup recipes is finding turtle meat. All the local species are now protected. The turtle meat in our soup now comes from Virginia, Kansas and Iowa, mostly. It is becoming rarer with each passing day. This is why many restaurants now make a mock turtle soup, usually with veal. (Two notable examples are the Bon Ton and Mandina’s, both highly celebrated among their fans.

It’s traditional to serve turtle soup with sherry at the table, but I’ve never liked the alcoholic taste and aroma of that. The sherry should be in the cooking pot, not added at the table. My saying so will not affect the classic presentation of turtle soup with a shot of sherry.

New Orleans-style turtle soup is as unique to our cuisine as gumbo. Unlike the clear, consomme-like turtle soup eaten in most other places (including almost everywhere in Europe), Creole turtle soup is thick and almost a stew. The most widely-served style of turtle soup in the area is descended from the one at Commander’s Palace, which is distinctive in using as much veal shoulder as turtle and in including spinach as an ingredient. Good as that was, the soup formerly served at the now-extinct Brennan’s was the definitive version.

The toughest challenging in making turtle soup recipes is finding turtle meat. All the local species are now protected. The turtle meat in our soup now comes from Virginia, Kansas and Iowa, mostly. It is becoming rarer with each passing day. This is why many restaurants now make a mock turtle soup, usually with veal. (Two notable examples are the Bon Ton and Mandina’s, both highly celebrated among their fans.

It’s traditional to serve turtle soup with sherry at the table, but I’ve never liked the alcoholic taste and aroma of that. The sherry should be in the cooking pot, not added at the table. My saying so will not affect the classic presentation of turtle soup with a shot of sherry.

FYI, Rouses Supermarkets sell Louisiana turtle meat (LA alligator and frog legs too.) When I was a kid it was common to dig up turtle eggs along the banks of the Bogue Chitto river. One of my earliest childhood memories was of my grandfather teaching me how to butcher a large alligator snapping turtle (cowan) for turtle soup. It was so big it wouldn't fit in a large galvanized wash tub - well over 100 lbs. I remember separating the seven distinct types of turtle meat into seven different piles to be added at different times to the soup. The finished soup is topped with some shredded hard boiled egg and a little sherry (optional, but so good). But back then turtles were plentiful. Not nearly so much any more, but they are no where near endangered. Nevertheless, I would never take a wild turtle now, (I have even rescued a few hit by cars.) I only eat farm raised ones now, as the wild caught ones are unhealthy - full of PCBs. BTW, fried turtle is good too, but it stretches further in a soup. http://www.lacrawfish.com/Alligator-and-Turtle-C38.aspx

Chip

Wow. Now this is a conversation I could look forward too and these thoughts are making it very hard to concentrate !

In 1975, I found myself on Penrod's docks in Venice and lived in four plex in Graden District for almost four years. Pasqual's was my favorite restaurant back then, since then I've for years all over Louisiana as a Petroleum Landman. Duck hunting outside of Opelousas. We just missed going to Breaux Bridge this year for the crawfish festival. Were having some electronic problems with the jacks.

Mike

Can't believe you'd let your kids dig up turtle eggs. Where I live there's a federal law against it.

To my knowledge the only Federally protected turtles in Texas are "sea" turtles and Anderson County, Texas is a LONG way from any ocean.

Mike, what are the requirements/restrictions on septic? Any ideas about what it will cost?

Good Afternoon Big5er,

Once our original purpose for the land changed, my wife and I looked into purchasing the 4.11 acre tract across the road. We had envisioned making that tract an RV park with the sale tract as a recreational area with BBQ pits, swing sets, fire pits, dock and the like. The owner of the other tract declined our offers. We paid a septic installer $50.00 to come out and give us an idea of the square footage required using different numbers of RVs that would at anytime be parked on the property that would make the venture economically. We would need to clear most of the trees, places spaces with in a couple of feet a part and destroy a beautiful peace of property. I never inquired about the cost of a single system being insulated because none of the scenarios would leave enough room for number of RVs to make the venture economical.

My wife and I are Petroleum Landmen who preform mineral title research on land for attorneys who also work for Oil and Gas companies. Due to the efficiency of our current drilling and production techniques, we have over produced and collapsed the prices for natural gas. We then did the same for oil. After thirty years of riding extreme highs and lows we are retiring. Since the Lake property is about 90 miles away, our kids have all been transferred to different parts of the U.S......taking our grandkids, we just don't have the time for the property.

I though that I was sharper than I am with web sites. Since I never figured out how to post a series of pics with this listing, I've had to point people to the Zillow listing. The full range of pics found there show the Lake in April 2015 and a similar pic after the Mother's Day, May 17, 2015. This after series of frog strangling rains with subsequent flooding/filling up of the Lake of water and fish. The pics show the Lake levels while the flooding of the adjacent Trinity River was at 45'. The Trinity's major flood stage is 45'.

Last night, the Trinity River crested at 47'.89" and at 12:00 the River levels were 47'.6". The 47'.89" makes it into the top ten historical crest of the Trinity River. The 10 highest recorded level was on 5/1/1890 at 53'.

Yesterday, my wife and I drove down the lake in our 3/4 truck. I had raised the differential with the transmission vent tubes years ago. We drove in slowly through about 2.5 feet of water. The majority of the property was out of the water. Only our neighbor, age 84 was left and he said everyone was mad, "you'd have to be plum crazy to leave when the fishing was this good ! Now, Ben has lived there for twenty years. He knows that he can use his boat to get to the road if necessary, other than that it guarantees him days of peace and quite....no visitors just fishing. Were headed back down there again today to fish, but this time we'll paddle in.

Let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Mike

I have posted new pictures of the property, together with the water levels during Texas historic flooding. You can Google the properties address: 240 acr 2124 Long Lake, Texas 75801. The property, together with two of our neighbors were in the dry. We were able to drive in using our F-250 with raised breather tubes.

I have also included a picture of a 200 + LB fish that a couple of young men caught.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

There is no problem with the installation of a state certified septic system on the property. We had a certified installer explain the how much land would be required to place a number of RV's on the property. I could not justify destroying the uniqueness of the property for the perceived economics.

Mike

Dave,

There is no problem with the installation of a state certified septic system on the property. We had a certified installer explain the how much land would be required to place a number of RV's on the property. I could not justify destroying the uniqueness of the property for the perceived economics.

Mike

Thanks for that info.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived