Medford unfriendly to RVers?

gypsydan

The town of Cave Creek, Arizona held Walmart's feet to the fire when they discussed building a store there.

Walmart got in, but they can't have night deliveries, no truck or overnight parking of any kind. Light poles are no more than 10-feet tall. Setbacks all around the store and privacy wall built where it adjoins residential, landscape requirements, etc.

It's more a matter of controlled development.

Walmart applied for permit in my home town of Gig Harbor. The city said "NO WAY!" And there is no Walmart.

Some restrictions may apply.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be curious where that store is.... I do know that often the new stores like it are outside of city limits but if inside it might be interesting to also see how the city applies their rule or does approval of the store plan then wave the rule? I would be highly doubtful that any of the communities that forbid overnight stops in a parking lot would change the rule for a Walmart store that did put in a dump station, water supply, and designated RV parking spaces. I think that they would require them to build an RV park and license it as one. And that same issue can apply to more than just Walmart. We have stayed in as many Lowe's stores as we have Walmart. There is an outlet mall near Gainsville, TX which has RV sites nicer than some RV parks but it is also in a rural area without city regulation.

Not sure what your point is Kirk. The Cabela's I am talking about is in Hamburg, PA. I did not say that putting in the dump station and RV parking allowed Cabela's to permit overnight stays. In fact, I thought I was pretty clear that the approvals prohibited it and Cabela's went ahead and put in the facilities anyway to accomodate RVing customers. As far as I know there was no waiver of the rule and overnights at that location are still prohibited, although I see occassional claims on the internet that folks have stayed there just as I do for Walmarts that are posted no overnight parking.

I agree with you that if any business put in RV sites that had utilities they would likely need to be licensed or meet any other regulatory requirements of being a campground. I am not sure that the licensing requirements for campgrounds necessarily even require utilities. Some I have read require any property where two or more RVs are inhabited to be licensed as a campground. The lack of the approvals and licensing to operate a campground or invite habitation on a commercial property is one of the issues. Walmart to some RVers is the largest campground chain in the country and I doubt they have a single licensed campground.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Walmart is happy to provide me a free spot to spend the night, they seem to think it is good business. It is when the local city tells them they can't let me stay that makes me unhappy with the city, not Walmart. Reasonable rules are one thing, a ban is another.

If a town doesn't want me there I have plenty of other places to spend my money.

This is my point exactly.

And in the case of Ashland and Medford during a winter storm closing the major north-south west coast Interstate, it can become a matter of safety for RVers.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Disagreeing with Big 5er, most of the time this is brought on by greedy local RV parks that generally have a poor business plan, plead out to city councils "Help Us". And having stopped in Medford and using a park there, I would have taken Wal- Mart any day. And Big 5er suggests $30.00 a night for maybe a 3 point hook-up, using my "stuff", and I really don't need anything, getting by untrimmed trees, and many other situations in privately owned parks, I think not.

I wonder how a LEO determines that you are "camping overnight" at a 24hr WalMart Supercenter vs just pulled in to go shopping? I've seen many RVs in their lots that look like they're just parked - no curtains drawn and no sign of activity or lights on the inside. Who knows if anyone is inside sleeping or the occupants are in the store shopping, in their toad and away from the property, etc. Keep a low profile and the lights off and nobody is the wiser.

If you do get a ticket slapped on your rig - how do you prove you were't "camping" but just parked & empty?

LEOs can initiate a ticket for violation of camping prohibition but landowner has to initiate a trespass i.e. parking lot violation & WalMart is probably not going to ask for a trespass violation for nice rigs that don't abuse the privilege. It would follow that any ticket issued will probably be from a LEO's own initiative for violation of some anti-camping ordinance and the city bears the burden of proof that you were camping which would seem problematic and they would quickly drop the violation if you complain. (assuming you didn't answer the door in your pajamas. :D)

Agree 100% with big 5er. We have seen the enemy and he is us.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We appreciate the Wal-Marts that do allow us to overnight. We don't put out our slides. We do park away from the store where we were told to park. We always ask permission first at the service desk and we do always find some items to buy when there. I've seen good & bad RV'ers overnite at Wal-Mart. One guy was picking up trash all around his rig, cleaning up that part of the lot as a good deed. One guy was parked by the entrance in the first spots for cars. He had his slides out, lawn chairs out & grill out. I'm wondering if that may be one of the stores that doesn't want RV'ers anymore? Don't ruin a good thing! Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

The problem with lists like Nick Russell's is inaccuracy and lack of maintenance when changes occur..

Lake City Florida reversed their no parking ordinance, almost 3 years ago, but remains on Nick's list as "unfriendly."

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

The problem with lists like Nick Russell's is inaccuracy and lack of maintenance when changes occur..

Lake City Florida reversed their no parking ordinance, almost 3 years ago, but remains on Nick's list as "unfriendly."

So the lesson here is that it's far better to not get on the "unfriendly" lists in the first place.

WDR

Ham Radio

I prefer to spend my money where I'm welcome. Billings, Montana and Lake City, Florida were two towns that quickly realized how many dollars RVers spend when they stop for a night. And keep in mind, the way most of these regulations are written, it also means you cannot visit your kids in that town and park in their driveway overnight either. It's not about whether I can afford a campground or not, it's about a town saying "If you stay here you have to spend money at one of our RV parks."

Walmart is happy to provide me a free spot to spend the night, they seem to think it is good business. It is when the local city tells them they can't let me stay that makes me unhappy with the city, not Walmart. Reasonable rules are one thing, a ban is another.

If a town doesn't want me there I have plenty of other places to spend my money.

Here here. And it is not about the price of my RV. We are travelers, and enjoy being able to pass through an area, choose where to stop for the night, spend money where we want to, and continue on. When we are are welcomed, we make note of that, and reciprocate with our business. Make laws to prohibit anti-social behavior, but don't infringe on my freedom to move about the country (Southwest BONG in the background.)

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

but don't infringe on my freedom to move about the country (Southwest BONG in the background.)

Roy

Really Roy? How is telling you that you can not sleep in a parking lot infringing on your right to move around the country? Nothing there is infringing on your right to move, it is only infringing on your "right" to squat in a parking lot. I'm not sure where you obtained this "right" to sleep in a parking lot for free but if you feel you just have to sleep in a parking lot for free, then feel free to exercise your right to move around the country and move along. It's not hard to understand.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Back to the original post.....

The old Walmart located at exit 21 in Talent (just south of Medford and closed about two years ago) was the only Walmart along I5. We visit that area often as our daughter lives in Talent.

The old Walmart allowed parking in their lot for years up until about five years ago. I believe the primary reason for banning parking there was abuse - BIG TIME!

We usually stayed in the RV park across the road from Walmart. We witnessed several older RVs pull out in the morning only to move over to Hwy 99 to a day use area between Talent and Ashland. That evening, back they came. Over the course of several visits covering several months, the same rigs continued to do the same thing.

Could local LEOs have somehow prevented them from behaving this way under (prior) existing ordinances? I do not know but it wasn't but about six months after we first notices this behavior that the "No Overnight Parking" ordinance signs went up.

Were these people really RVers? I doubt they would qualify. They were just poor, down and out, citizens. If LEOs had tried to oust them, I can almost hear the outcry of discrimination still being heard. Passing the "No parking" ordinance was indeed the best way to handle the problem. Unfortunately, we all suffer the consequences.

The "new" Walmart in south Medford (exit 27) is surrounded by many other businesses with large parking lots. I am not sure if overnight parking is allowed but in the event of an I5 closure, I suspect LEOs would look the other way.

Just my two cents worth....

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Were these people really RVers? I doubt they would qualify. They were just poor, down and out, citizens. If LEOs had tried to oust them, I can almost hear the outcry of discrimination still being heard. Passing the "No parking" ordinance was indeed the best way to handle the problem. Unfortunately, we all suffer the consequences.

I've got a whole lot more sympathy for those "poor, down and out, citizens" than I do with "really RVers". At least they have a need to freeload.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have a background in lobbying various authorities on this very subject. Most of the time common sense prevails. But not always.

Before you can solve the issue you need to know who the 'enemy' is. More often than not you will find a commercial RV park behind council reactions. Not always but in the majority of cases.

BUT the first thing you need to address is RV user attitudes. And I'm afraid that that single issue is the weak link. It's all very well to communicate good intentions between and within various clubs. But what do you do about the thousands of non affiliated RVers?

Convince local authorities that RVers are responsible users and you've taken a huge step towards getting them to concede on their regulations and laws. But until that happens move on and support those who are RV friendly.

regards

Our culture likes to have us in neat little categories. And if a city council has decided, for whatever reason, that I am not responsible enough to park quietly and neatly in a parking lot that is owned by someone happy to let me park there, then I'll pass that community by. And I'm happy to have access to information telling me exactly which communities those are.

You can do whatever you like. But don't tell me to get "off the road" because it's not exactly the way you do it.

WDR

Ham Radio

Our culture likes to have us in neat little categories. And if a city council has decided, for whatever reason, that I am not responsible enough to park quietly and neatly in a parking lot that is owned by someone happy to let me park there, then I'll pass that community by. And I'm happy to have access to information telling me exactly which communities those are.

You can do whatever you like. But don't tell me to get "off the road" because it's not exactly the way you do it.

WDR

And there we have it in a nutshell, folks. Well stated.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The way I see it is that everyone can moan about rules and regulations or they can do something about it. Not just those rules and regulations that affect RVs. The thing is do YOU want to do anything about it?

Well?

It can be done. You just need to really want to do it.

But complaining is SO easy.

My experience with lobbying, all the way up to senate inquiries, tells me that this is a solvable problem.

regards

The way I see it is that everyone can moan about rules and regulations or they can do something about it. Not just those rules and regulations that affect RVs. The thing is do YOU want to do anything about it?

Well?

How is THIS not doing something?

Ashland, in particular, has a lot to lose by having people feel that it's unfriendly to them. They spend a lot of money trying to convince us that they are a wonderful place to visit what with their Shakespeare festival and all. So pointing out to them that, for at least a substantial subset of a small minority of travelers (and, after all, travelers are what tourists are), they do not appear so welcoming would not be a valuable way of coaxing them to perhaps change a little?

After all, a letter to the mayor is just one letter. A thread on a popular RV forum could reach thousands of travelers - some of whom might not even own an RV - who could be looking at places easier to reach than Ashland or Medford.

Isn't this lobbying?

WDR

Ham Radio

IIRC, I think it was Wyoming we went through several years ago and many of their Rest Areas had "No Overnight Parking/Camping" signs, yet we saw many that were definitely overnighting. When we spoke with LEO, and asked about the implications of having an overly tired driver continuing to drive because of that, we were advised that these signs were up to enable them to enforce move ons of those setting up longer term stays and they didn't bother folks passing through from doing an overnight. They most certainly encouraged us to stop and stay for several hours than be a risk on the highway. Common sense (mind you that's such a rarity nowadays in all walks of life!), one would hope would prevail regarding impassable areas to allow folks to hold up for an overnight or until safe to proceed surely.

Another thing that's became very evident in our travels over the years is the bitterness felt by local residents (not just RV CG owners!) who pay property taxes to maintain their towns, and those that don't being allowed to stay basically FOC in their town and generally putting additional strain on the resources they pay for to clear up and maintain. Don't know how true it is but we've also been told that the amount of dollars dropped into many towns by transient RVers is so minimal when they boondock versus staying in an organized CG area for two or three days it's not worth the hassle of allowing O/N's as well the money they can collect from ticketing those that fail to comply with overnight bans.

Just as with most things in life, it's important for us to walk in the shoes of those that have pushed for the restrictions to understand why, albeit in most cases an alternative way would always been better. We often have said to ourselves when many rest areas one after the other in some areas are barricaded closed, it's as though they'd rather we were dangerous drivers overtired on the road in some areas than providing adequate pull overs to refresh ourselves. It's ironic how in so many areas of our lives we are now so governed and controlled but it's OK for us to be a huge risk overtired on the highways in some places = doesn't make sense to us but what can we do as an individual voice?

We've often wondered why ALL towns/cities over a certain size aren't compelled to provide on the outskirts with easy on/off highway access parking, garbage containers etc for big rigs, autos etc even if there was a $2 or $3 charge to do so, and maybe provide a pay per use dump/water at these sites for say another $2 or $3 to affordably encourage folks to utilize. There is no way on earth we personally would pay $30+ just to be able to get a few hours shut eye when travelling between destinations, heck we stopped supporting our now "privatised" provincial parks when they hit over that rate for an unlevel gravel unserviced site near a fishing lake. Also sometimes we want to view something such as a zoo or Tillamook Cheese factory or similar enroute, and maybe when we hit the area they are closed. If we can stay parked overnight outside these locations to view when they open in the morning we will and have dropped $50 to $100+ for up to 4 of us on admissions/purchases, but if we weren't allowed to do that we'd just drive by, so in that respect they'd lose that revenue and times that by several others with the same train of thought.

For sure, there are some places that do have this train of thought and it's been wonderful to find a municipal park, or great rest area, but there have been at times places we've travelled where we have been forced to possibly "illegally" stay for a few hours rest or be dangerous driving and putting others besides ourselves at risk due to lack of alertness.

We personally don't expect a totally free ride, and believe in utilizing places where there's a win-win, but we cannot and absolutely will not support extortionately priced places that can't provide just the basics we might need for a few hours rest and to protect the safety of others we could inflict on around us.

Just my 2cents FWIW.

I wonder how many really tired but law abiding folks just kept driving (unsafely) in WY as a result of those signs.

WDR

Ham Radio

How is THIS not doing something?

Ashland, in particular, has a lot to lose by having people feel that it's unfriendly to them. They spend a lot of money trying to convince us that they are a wonderful place to visit what with their Shakespeare festival and all. So pointing out to them that, for at least a substantial subset of a small minority of travelers (and, after all, travelers are what tourists are), they do not appear so welcoming would not be a valuable way of coaxing them to perhaps change a little?

After all, a letter to the mayor is just one letter. A thread on a popular RV forum could reach thousands of travelers - some of whom might not even own an RV - who could be looking at places easier to reach than Ashland or Medford.

Isn't this lobbying?

WDR

A discussion on an RV forum is not 'doing something'. Sorry but 'we' are such a small number as far as the authorities are concerned that even the threat of a boycott means little to them.

It's a complex subject and no two cases are the same. Before anyone can consider any actions full research needs to be done to find out the 'whys' of actions taken in the first place. Only then can you start to find solutions.

Keep in mind that some locations will be simply walk away locations. Nothing can be done to change their minds.

In my experience it is far more beneficial to all to find friendly locations and support them. Indirect pressure will then make those who are perceive to be unfriendly to reconsider their policies.

There will never come a day when you can travel without running into rules and regulations that inhibit the RV lifestyle. Just move on. That's the beauty of RVing. Moving on is why we go RVing in the first place.

regards

...You can do whatever you like. But don't tell me to get "off the road" because it's not exactly the way you do it...

So why should a community that decides to pass a restriction on inhabiting vehicles in parking lots have to listen to or make those that do not live there happy?

According to the Walmart Locator "there are more than 700 Walmart stores nationwide that do not allow RVers to park overnight". That will take a lot of lobbying/lobbyists, protests and letter writing. Then there are all the communities that don't have a Walmart that do not allow inhabiting an RV in other than a licensed campground. Many of these regulations are based on business licensing, health and safety, restrictions on the number of dwellings on a residential property and building codes and never mention or have anything to do with parking. In the Eastern States there are lots of communities that have regulations prohibiting living in a vehicle that were put in place before Walmart was founded in 1962.

Almost every time these issues come up there is mention of the need for places to stop for safety reasons. Why is it the responsibility of a local community to provide free overnight accomodations for RVers who can not plan well enough or recognize there own limitations and stop driving before they get too tired or it is too dangerous to drive? Would you drive into a Hurricane? So, why drive into a winter storm in areas with a history of road closures and dangerous conditions? I don't think the weather forecasts for major snow storms are that bad that they are a total surprise very often. Commercial truck drivers have schedules to meet and the driving hour limitations are needed to protect both them and the other motorists on the road. What is so pressing for an RVer, that they have to drive from pre-dawn to post-dusk and only get a few hours sleep before rushing on? If safety is such a concern, shouldn't the RVer take the personal responsibility of not setting themselves up to be operating unsafely or caught in unsafe conditions? There is a lot of talk about the freedom and relaxed pace of the RV lifestyle, yet whenever a Walmart is closed to overnight stays one of the arguments is that they are needed for the safety of too tired RVers.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

years ago I was transferred to Medford from N. Cal. I had to change the registration on the company car to the HQ office in Kansas because of all the hassle being from CA. It earns their moniker of being unfriendly for many reasons. Gov. McCall had a large sign on I5 that I won't put on this site what it said.

Most often we have Dolly-the -painthorse with us when we RV travel so.........we are not welcome to set our portable corral at Wal-Mart or at most roadside rest areas. Having a 1,000 pound pet in your RV has it's moments, but it is not ALL bad since we are welcome at almost every Fairgrounds and Rodeo Grounds in N. America and many of these sites are a real steal compared to most RV parks. The Cedarville CA Fairgrounds in far NE CA is like camping on the Masters Golf course and less than 5 miles to the West you have snow capped mtns for less than $20 per night!! Dolly has a HUGE pasture to roll and graze in and it is so peaceful it is hard to leave the next day.

Boondocking is like life......it's a adventure.......

Recently we ask to spend the night at a large Wal-Mart parking lot in N. NV since the truck stop nearby was close to full and it seemed not good to have a RV HDT take up space that "real truckers" needed.........so Wal-Mart said sure just pick a spot in the W. side away from the main store front door. We found a deserted corner of the parking lot with only a Rental crew van nearby so we turned in for the night.......about 04:30 I heard some cars drive by and a few voice but I just went back to sleep.....

About 06:30 I got out of the bunk and pulled the curtain back and...........9 cars were parked around us.......

The local gold mine (80 mi away) used the van to carpool workers to the mine for the week so the cars were parked for a WEEK!!

We could get the truck out but not with the trailer hitched up..........so no problem......unhitch the trailer, pull the truck out, run the winch cable under a parked car GENTLY pull the trailer forward, go to Wal-Mart buy a floor jack , jack the trailer up and GENTLY pivot the car trailer 90 degrees hitch back to the truck (let the floor jack down) and drive out 1 hour later......oh the "adventures" of Wal-Mart boondocking.......

Thank god we are retired..... otherwise we would be........fired

Cheers,

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived