Easy Meal Ideas?

new grandmother

I just found one I can hardly wait to try: 3-4 pound pork shoulder, 1 can crushed pineapple in water, 1 tsp dry ginger. Dump it all in a crock pot for 6-8 hours. Remove pork, shred it, and return it to soak up juices. I can see serving this with sweet potatoes and steam-in-the-bag green beans. I love recipes where I don't actually have to cook.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Sloppy Joes. Either make ahead and freeze, so you can just heat and eat, or make them in the crockpot. Serve with raw veggies and fresh fruit.

Round steak, potatoes, carrots, and onions in the crockpot. I don't bother to brown the meat first.

Burritoes. Top flour tortillas with something, add shreaded cheese, then fold and roll them. I tend to fill with leftovers. But suggestions are scrambled eggs, diced up leftover white or sweet potatoes, whole or refried beans, sauteed onions/mushrooms/peppers, white or brown rice, and/or leftover meat such meatloaf, baked salmon, pork rib meat, beef roast, ham, or chicken breast. I make them as I have leftovers and then I freeze them.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

With grandkids I'd shoot for memorable meals rather than easy ones, at least for a few of them.

Salmon on a cedar slab roasted over an open fire with asparagus and rice pudding was always a big hit.

Fully cooked sausages browned on sticks over the fire are always a big hit. Fully cooked to avoid undercooked and sausages/brats to avoid the yuck it is a hot-dog reaction. Good spicy mustard or better horseradish will add uniqueness. Slice up some good potatoes and roast them in the fire wrapped in foil, butter, garlic and chives for seasoning.

If you are fishing a pan of fried fish is great, maybe a paid fishing spot if you aren't fishermen yourselves, equipment rentals are cheap and you can probably get them cleaned there too. Fire roasted corn bread goes well with them.

Shish kabobs are a great option, either over the fire or on the grill. Let the kids put their own together and supervise them while they cook.

Local specialties from berries to fruit make special deserts, look for pick your own places and you'll make memories as well as dinner.

Ice cream in a can is always entertaining and with hand picked fruit sauce you have something unique. Lots of recipes for the ice cream.

http://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-homemade-ice-cream-using-empty-coffee-cans-0147351/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It's nothing glamous, but simplicity itself and makes for a good hearty quicky dinner for the kiddo's. We called it Stilli. 1 large can of dinty moore stew, 2 normal sized cans of chilli (hence "stilli"), corn tortilla chips, grated cheese, bread slices and chopped sweet onion.

Mix the stew and chilli, heat.. lay a slice of bread in the bottom of a large soup bowl, cover with stilli, top with onions and cheese, then crush up some chips over the top for texture. Fun and unique.. the kids would build there own.. takes all of 10 minutes to throw together and eats pretty good.

X2 on the Shish kabobs... or stickabob's in our house. :P

We are getting ready to take 3 grandkids, 5(that will be interesting!), 13, & 15, on a 4 day camping trip. Some easy things I'm going to do is:

Buy 2 rotisserie chickens and cut it all off the bone beforehand to use for sandwiches (can freeze some of it).

Buy whole wheat flatbread, pepperoni, cheese, pizza sauce and let them make their own small pizzas, just heat in toaster over.

Buy small plastic 8oz. cups and let them make parfaits with instant pudding, crumbled wafers, fruit, and cool whip.

Their favorite that I make is cut up chicken breast browned. Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup milk, & 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, +a little pepper, add to chicken & let simmer. Cook a bag of egg noodles & add frozen broccoli the last 4 minutes. Drain and add to chicken mixture. Can also top with a little sour cream when served.

Bratwursts on the grill with mac and cheese and salad is pretty quick.

Toco salad is easy: brown hamburger or ground turkey. In big bowl combine with lettuce, tomatoe, onion, canned black or kidney beans, grated cheese, crunched Fritos, taco sauce or creamy Italian dressing. Top with sour cream when served.

Hope this helps. I like quick stuff so I can spend more time with the kids.

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

Can of spam, box of Mac & Cheese. Cube spam, brown to make a sort of crispy outer shell. Add and cook mac & cheese as normal. Done. Can substitute with cut up hot dogs or sausages. Use plastic knives for cutting and then the kids can help out safely.

Most any grill type meal. With a little prep, think chicken kabobs.

We will take a packet of ranch dressing mix, mixed with some straight greek yogurt and keep baby carrots and celery sticks on a chill plate for the kids to graze on. One granddaughter likes to munch on "trees" ie; broccoli.

Most Instant Pot, Dutch Oven or Crock Pot recipes may take a bit of prep but all are fairly easy to make and leave you with lots more time with the munchkins.

Don't forget the chocolate volcano though :)

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

When I take the neices and nephews camping with me, I take metal skewers. I cut up meats and veggies and let them make their own Kabobs. They think it's fun and they can cook them outside over the fire (their preference) or inside if the weather is not with us. For desert we fill sugar cones with fruit, pieces of chocolate and marshmallow. Wrap in foil and place in the coals of the fire for easy and less messy s'mores.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

A great quick dessert my grandkids love is 1-2-3 cake. To mix and keep on hand to use anytime: 1 box of Angel Food Cake mix (this is the important one). Plus 1 box yellow cake mix (I use sugar free and you can play with flavors). Place in plastic bag and shake until well mixed (will keep a long time). When ready to use the recipe it is 3 tablespoons cake mixture, 2 tablespoons water in small round bowl. Stir well. Cook in microwave for 1 minute. Let cool and can top with any toppings you like. The grandkids like to create their own.

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

If you do campfire cooking at breakfast those fire iron sandwich makers are a great way to make egg sandwiches--line with buttered bread then break an egg into one and you are set. You can make grilled cheese in those, too.

For hot dogs, you can make several slices about half way up the length of the dogs then boil them. You will get octopuses.

For 3-2-1 cake the second mix can be any flavor as long as the first one is angel food. The texture will be like angel food and the flavor will be whatever your second mix is. When I mix the two boxes together I check for the "Best by" date on the boxes and mark the soonest expired date on the gallon ziptop bag I mix them in. My current mix is spice cake; I have until Sept 27th to eat it all. :)

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This assumes you have muffin tins--the regular sized ones. Kids can do most of this with clean hands:

Buy a couple of packages of the large refrigerator biscuits, a can or two of pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and some pepperoni or other pizza topping.

Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. Flatten one biscuit into each muffin "hole" making sure the dough comes up the side of the form and a little over the top. Put a couple of thin slices of pepperoni in each cup. Spoon in some of the pizza sauce, top with cheese, and then bake until brown at about 350 degrees, or until slightly brown and cheese bubbles. Kids can eat with hands.

• 3 weeks later...

Our girls love homemade Egg MeMuffins. We buy Jimmy Dean sausage patties in large bag freezer section. I take them from freezer, put into ziploc bags. We toast the english muffins over burners/campfire on forks, or in the Toastation toaster oven. Heat the sausage patty, flip, cook an egg on top of patty and slide onto the muffin, add cheese slice if wanted. Also easy to make and wrap in foil for reheating on grill or over campfire. :)

Another favorite is Flap Meat Quesadilla's. Flap Meat is really thin, cooks fast on BBQ or forks over campfire. Put onto Tortilla, add any fixings you like and chow down. Kids like this! I put fixins in a multi section tupperware container. Cheese, onions, salsa, green chiles, olives, canned mushrooms, kidney or black beans, etc. The heat from the meat will melt the cheese, or we wrap in foil and grill just a bit.

Breakfast Burritos: Mix eggs with bacon bits (I buy cooked real bacon bits in small bag). Can also add hashbrown taters, onions, etc. Cook and scramble. Put on tortilla with shredded cheese and optional salsa. Easy and kids like to make their own.

Baked Potato Bar: Wrap oiled taters in foil, bake or toss on BBQ or hot coals. Cook thru. Serve with butter, cheese, chili, etc.

Hobo Dinner: Hamburger, chopped taters, peas & carrots, onions, little corns or kernal corn, whatever they want. We put out good size pieces of foil, put raw veggies and cover with the meat. Salt, pepper and catsup on too. Fold and seal foil by rolling ends together. Cook on grill or campfire.

Pancake rollups: Leftover pancakes, cooled. Cool whip, strawberries that are hulled and crushed (or any berries, peaches etc.). Mix the berries with the cool whip. Spread on the pancakes and roll up. Stick with toothpick to hold.

Muffin Pizza's: English muffins, cheddar cheese, pizza sauce, pepperoni or cooked sausage , motzarella cheese. The cheddar cheese keeps the sauce from soaking into the muffins. We grill on BBQ grill pan or heat in oven.

Love that the kids do most of the cooking. :) Fun to watch them and I get to relax too! :)

Jo

Fort Courage

1984 Lazy Daze Class C 22'

High Desert CA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm into grilling and crock pot cooking. The easiest is the crock pot. Load it in the morning and dinnner is ready by 5 PM. I use those crock pot liners. They make cleanup a breeze. It'll give you more time to have fun with the kids and less time over a campstove or BBQ grill.

My other favorite easy crockpot recipe: a hunk of beef, sprinkled with a package of dried onion soup mix, topped with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Makes its own gravy. I'll be making that one again tomorrow.

Linda Sand

Archived