Microsoft says it's taking over updates for Windows 10 Mobile devices

RV_

In the mobile phone market this is huge. Microsoft will provide updates like it does for PCs.

I did not get upgraded from Windows Phone 8 to 8.1 by Verizon. I had to join the Windows insider group and upgrade to 8.1 Denim myself direct from Microsoft.

I had Android 2.3 phones that Samsung left behind. And Samsung Galaxy Tabs prior to 2012 that I owned promised upgrades to Ice Cream Sandwich for 18 months before rolling it out. The vendors are doing or not doing what they please.

It's not exactly Android-style fragmentation, but Windows Phone users are perennially frustrated at carriers dragging their feet on operating system updates. That's all changing with Windows 10 Mobile, the company says. And this time they mean it.

Excerpt:

"When Microsoft introduced Windows Phone, nearly five years ago, the company promised that it would control the update process, bypassing the carriers if necessary.

The reality of the update process, through major updates to Windows Phone 8 and 8.1, hasn't held up to that ideal, especially with U.S. carriers involved.

Microsoft's Denim update, for example, was announced last September but still isn't available on AT&T's Lumia 830, T-Mobile's Lumia 635, and a handful of other phones. Verizon was the first to release Denim as an over-the-air update, but only after it had continuously rejected the previous (Cyan) update, leaving owners of their flagship Windows Phone device running a badly outdated version.

It's not exactly Android-level fragmentation, but it's a problem.

That's all going to change with Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft says. And this time they swear they mean business.

The original news was buried in a post from the Microsoft Ignite blog, introducing Windows Update for Business :

Here at Microsoft, we take our responsibility to keep Windows secure seriously. We ... proactively update supported devices with necessary updates to address issues. And today, we're announcing this continuous update process applies to all Windows 10 devices, including phones. [emphasis added]

A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to me that that statement applies to all Windows 10 Mobile devices, personal and business, and that the new mobile update process will be consistent with the update process for Windows 10 on PCs. Updates will contain security and reliability fixes as well as new features."

For the rest of the article go here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-says-its-taking-over-updates-for-windows-10-mobile-devices/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived