Speedco?

dblr

Probably a silly question but can you stay hooked up to your camper to get a service done? Former owner used Speedco so I figured to also, planned on the one near Fort Chiswell in Va. but just not sure if we will be staying there or just passing thru so trying to plan ahead, thanks.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

You can stay connected, but I personally will never use Speedco again. They shorted out my alternator in 2004, for which they eventually reimbursed me. When they did it again in 2012, they did the rope-a-dope until we went away. Some locations are better than others, but they're never well qualified. Just my opinion, obviously..

We take Red Rover to a Volvo dealer for oil and filters change. We want the more through inspection a dealer does over a oil change place.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Yeah, I'm curious about the alternator issue as well.....that would seemingly be hard to do.

On the attached camper....many locations will not allow it. It has to do with the propane and liability. I've only heard of one person getting through with the camper attached. Most make you drop it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

How did they manage to short out the alternator?

The alternator is on the lower front right side of the N14 about a foot below the oil fill. The terminals on the alternator face up. The first time, the truck was new to me, and the retention chain on the fill cap was long enough to allow it to dangle down, touch the terminal, and zap the diodes. Once I knew this, I shortened the chain and insulated the partially exposed terminals. Don't know how they did it the second time, but I could smell it as soon as I started and pulled out of the bay. Just guessing they dropped or set a tool on it. I routinely check that area, and the terminals are normally protected. I just know, both times the alternator was working when I entered the bay, and was not when I pulled out of the bay.

I stopped at, or called, 3 different Speedco's that said I could not have trailer attached or the Smart on the deck. (no gas or propane in shop rule) I decided to camp near a Speedco in Jackson GA. I went in without my smart or trailer and they said they WOULD have done my service with the smart on the deck and trailer attached. Apparently either some jurisdictions have different regulations or some facilities ignore, or don't know, the rules. I doubt the ones that allow it have any better fire suppression systems, pit ventilation, or whatever is required to bring in propane.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

The alternator is on the lower front right side of the N14 about a foot below the oil fill. The terminals on the alternator face up. The first time, the truck was new to me, and the retention chain on the fill cap was long enough to allow it to dangle down, touch the terminal, and zap the diodes. Once I knew this, I shortened the chain and insulated the partially exposed terminals. Don't know how they did it the second time, but I could smell it as soon as I started and pulled out of the bay. Just guessing they dropped or set a tool on it. I routinely check that area, and the terminals are normally protected. I just know, both times the alternator was working when I entered the bay, and was not when I pulled out of the bay.

so theres no plastic covers thingies over the terminals to prevent them from being shorted?

if NOT. i would make that your first priority to prevent it in the future.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

I've taken my trailer through at least a couple of Speedco shops without a problem. I'm pretty sure that Nuke-E has taken his conversion through also, not sure about his toad.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

so theres no plastic covers thingies over the terminals to prevent them from being shorted?

if NOT. i would make that your first priority to prevent it in the future.

I fixed it after the incident in 2004, which was my first trip with that truck.

Two Speedcos used in GA. Brunswick and south of ATL. No issue with Smart and fiver.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I just used the Speedco in Amarillo last Friday. Jeep on the deck with the trailer attached. Normally I get the service done before the first trip of the season so it is not unusual to be just the truck. Sometimes the Jeep. Last year I just happened to be on that side of town with the tractor on the flatbed and again nothing was said about it. I have also been there with a motorhome getting service as well as a auto transport that had 5 vehicles on it.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived