Amazon Fire Stick for TV

Agree with Docj, the Fire Stick is not the only way to go and my deciding factor was I was able to get into the intro program and picked it up for $20. Roku, Chromecast are a couple more and LG makes an interface to connect to wifi and a tv, making the tv into a sort of "smart TV" (I have one and it provides excellent service - especially on the idiot Sony TV we have in the bedroom).

Based on the original post, perhaps dumping Direct TV and using the money to bump up your data plan with an added subscription such as Amazon Prime, NetFlix, etc might suit your needs and could reduce your monthly expenditure by a good 50%. The added bonus is you are not paying for a gazillion channels you'll never watch. You can watch what you want, when you want. Oh, and you can pause to make popcorn.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

If thinking Roku you may want to pay attention to just which version you get. Saw and can't find an article on the two different Roku 3 versions now out there and why you want the newest of the two.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Based on the original post, perhaps dumping Direct TV and using the money to bump up your data plan with an added subscription such as Amazon Prime, NetFlix, etc might suit your needs and could reduce your monthly expenditure by a good 50%. The added bonus is you are not paying for a gazillion channels you'll never watch. You can watch what you want, when you want. Oh, and you can pause to make popcorn.

In those months where we haven't had satellite TV access, we've used ~80-100 GB of data which I don't think we could afford if it wasn't for our unlimited plan. So I'm not dropping DirecTV yet.

Furthermore, there are some things that still can't be obtained via streaming. HBO is offering a "unbundled" subscription service but Showtime isn't. CBS has one, but NBC and ABC don't. Things are likely to sort themselves out over the next few years.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived