yearly taxes on RV's

Augie

If I am not mistaken Montana does not have a sales tax that is why may people start an LLC there and register their RVs there.

In addition, MH's older than 10 years have permanent license plates. So we pay nothing annually for the MH.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

There is no requirement for insurance on a fifth wheel. The only insurance required by Texas law is liability, and it is not required on trailers. The tow vehicle liability insurance covers the trailer. If your inspector required you to have insurance on your fifth wheel, he was mistaken.

While this may be true that Texas does not require separate insurance for a fifth wheel trailer, IMHO it is a mistake not to have separate insurance for a fifth wheel that specifically covers the unique contents and use of a fifth wheel. If you are relying on your tow vehicle insurance to replace a fifth wheel damaged or totaled in an accident, I think you will be very disappointed at the outcome. There are also many circumstances that could result in damage to a fifth wheel when it is not hooked up to a tow vehicle, ie when it is being used as a place to live/stay at a campsite. If you do not have separate insurance for the fifth wheel, then who would cover this damage or a claim in this situation?

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

While this may be true that Texas does not require separate insurance for a fifth wheel trailer, IMHO it is a mistake not to have separate insurance for a fifth wheel that specifically covers the unique contents and use of a fifth wheel. If you are relying on your tow vehicle insurance to replace a fifth wheel damaged or totaled in an accident, I think you will be very disappointed at the outcome. There are also many circumstances that could result in damage to a fifth wheel when it is not hooked up to a tow vehicle, ie when it is being used as a place to live/stay at a campsite. If you do not have separate insurance for the fifth wheel, then who would cover this damage or a claim in this situation?

I agree, but that is a totally different subject than what we were discussing. The State of Texas requires that you show financial responsibility (liability insurance) before you can get a motor vehicle inspected or registered. Texas does not require that on a trailer since Texas requires the insurance policy on the tow vehicle to cover the liability for the trailer. Liability covers damage to the other guy, not to your own vehicles.

Your tow vehicle insurance won't pay a dime towards the damage on your trailer. That's a different matter completely.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

choose "Trailers or Mobile Homes" and it will take you to a page showing what the inspection requirements are for a trailer. Directly above the Number 1 item of "Brakes" is the instructions to "* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle". That is the only insurance requirement for getting your trailer inspected.

Dave said "Inspection station needed proof of insurance when they inspected the fifth wheel. " and you said that insurance was not required. Now you say that it IS required. Your newest statement says that you WILL need to show proof of liability insurance. So, it would seem that Dave was correct in his original post that you will need to show that you have liability insurance, albeit for the towing vehicle which, as you just said, covers the trailer also. It seems that you are defeating your own arguement, since showing liability insurance IS required.

Sort of like your last sentence "Your tow vehicle insurance won't pay a dime towards the damage on your trailer". Sure it will. Your tow vehicle insurance will cover any and all damage to your trailer. The collision and comprehensive coverage will. What you should have said is that your "liability" insurance will not cover damage to your own trailer. Your statement was right, but it was wrong. But I knew what you meant. I also knew what Dave meant. And he was technically right. Proof of insurance coverage is required......for the tow vehicle, which in turn covers the trailer.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived