Tire Protection when Stored

SWharton

Only thing similar to automobile or truck tires is, they too are rubber and contain air. That was tongue in cheek, guess the smily didn't convey that.

Well now it just crossed my mind that one of my old school friends does race tractors! But I don't think tractor pull stuff runs the same tires as RVs either... :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well now it just crossed my mind that one of my old school friends does race tractors! But I don't think tractor pull stuff runs the same tires as RVs either... :P

I doubt a MH tire ever spins that fast either. I love to watch tractor pulls, truck pulls, horse pulls, anything with power. :D Now there's an idea, MH pulls.But they'd have to run mud-grips :rolleyes:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of comments on what to put under the tire but not many addressing the real killer of tire i.e. heat. Unless you park indoors you should be covering your tires with either a white tire cover or the screen type cover. Either will significantly reduce the heat build-up due to sun exposure and shield the tire surface from UV.

Heat can do internal structural damage and it can significantly accelerate the rate of aging as the rate is geometric (doubles with every increase of 18F.

Post on UV & Ozone with links to tire cover temperature test.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not semi truck mudflaps, plastic or rubber?

Bigtrailer

Lots of options.

Rule #1 try and keep the tire dry

Rule #2 Do not expose tire to UV i.e. the Sun

Rule #3 Do not expose to Ozone (electric motor near by)

Rule #4 Keep the tire as cool as possible i.e. cover in white cover or in full shade, Do not cover with dark or black tire cover (Dark flat screen is OK as it allows lots of air circulation.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Archived