Canada. Boondocking, Internet, Phone service, etc.

Laara

Hello!

Everyone is so helpful here whenever we have questions and problems so I am coming again for help. I would like to ask experienced Rvers for advice on:

1) how boondocking works in Canada - same as here in US? is there something like BLM lands here? are you allowed to overnight in grocery stores parking lots? are there rest areas? What else do we need to know about it?

2) how to find water and sewer dumps?

3) what to do about Internet access and phone. Can you buy something like phone+internet card for your own phone or tablet? What companies work best there? We mostly will be in Toronto and Montreal areas.

4) is there any problems bringing foods to Canada and back. I remember once crossing border in a car and they were very strict about foods. Our fridge most likely will be full.

We are not only new to RVing, boondocking and SKP club. But our first trip is going to be a 2 months trip to Canada. We are nervous about how we can pull it off. All we know as for now is not to take guns in there. That's prety much it! :D

Thanks!

2009 Dynamax Isata 26ft

Honda Helix scooter

Border crossing can be quick and easy as we recently experienced or an ordeal. Don't ask me why that's just the luck of the draw. There are Canadian government websites that give the requirements to cross the border as well as non-govt websites that give a more understandable description of what to expect. Here's one: http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Check out Sue Thomas who lives in the Yukon. Sue and husband Steve, have been traveling western Canada and Alaska for years and now live in a "bush" cabin about 30 miles outside of Whitehorse YT along the Alaska Highway. You will find her comments and advice on RV.net, mostly in the RVing Canada and Alaska forum.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

Laara i will try to answer some of your questions.

1. boondocking....as I live in Alberta which is in the west there is quite a bit of boondocking . It works just like in the US. Instead of BLM land it is called Crown Land. ( we are a commonwealth country with ties to Britain and the Queen still). There are rules for boondocking but not many and you can google Crown Land and read up on it. I have not boondocked in the area that you are going to so not sure but I am assuming its like the US...less boondocking land in the east.

2. Water and sewer dumps. There are apps that are North America wide for finding them. Our city for example has a visitors center with a sewer dump and fresh water available for free. Most cities in Canada have this.

3. Our phone and internet providers suck compared to American ones....its expensive and you get little for what you pay. As things constantly change I cant answer more on this for you.

4. As far as foods go...why not do what we do. We stock up when we get to the US. Its not worth the hassle of trying to interpret todays whims on what foods are allowed across the border and that is going each way.

You will find that Canada is a wonderful country to visit and we are friendly and easy to get along with. Some French will help while you are in Quebec....Lol

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived