The future of retiree benefits.......

Kirk W

Notice there's no mention to cut their pension or benefits. What they get paid and steal during their career would fund any branch of the military for six months..But I guess for them to maintain the lavish lifestyle and pension system they created for themselves they have to get the funding somewhere.

With a $18 Trillion debt, and half-$Trillion annual deficits, combined with unfunded future obligations across the country, not to mention the demographic of a smaller working segment of the population, the country has a major future funding problem for anything.

It is probably just a matter of time before we have some pretty brutal national discussions about spending priorities.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I am sure that is in the long range plan, as you could pay draftees a lot less than you do in an all volunteer military.

That's a pretty accurate thought... Seems like we were always double digits behind in COLA for years. Pretty insightful Paul.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

With a $18 Trillion debt, and half-$Trillion annual deficits, combined with unfunded future obligations across the country, not to mention the demographic of a smaller working segment of the population, the country has a major future funding problem for anything.

It is probably just a matter of time before we have some pretty brutal national discussions about spending priorities.

And to make matters even worse, every one of us who get any sort of funding from government seem to be demanding more and more and insisting that our subsidy not be cut, but increased. As my Army retired son likes to say, this is all one big poop sandwich and each group says someone else must be first to take a bite! We are killing the goose which is laying our golden eggs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As my Army retired son likes to say, this is all one big poop sandwich and each group says someone else must be first to take a bite!

LOL, aptly stated!

The sleeper issue with the current National Debt figure, is the cost of servicing it. Interest rates have been artificially low for many years. If, and when, they start to rise, the annual cost of servicing that debt is going to rise dramatically. That will reduce the amount of annually collected funds to pay for the 'other' government expenses.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Why not cut the handouts, foreign and domestic before we start cutting benefits?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Or, do tit for tat. Change Military bennies? Change SS by the same amount. I always have to laugh when this gets thrown out to rile veterans up. The majority of members here already draw SS so there would be a little better spread of the pain. How about we tax IRA's / 401K's, etc?

Nahh, it's just easier to throw stones at the military... SOS, different decade.

I could continue but I promised someone I'd go easy on someone else...

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Just go with a 10 % flat tax on the balance of every ones 401, checking, savings and stock accounts. When some one leaves you money when they die, that should be taxed at a 50%. Then we can give our congress and state reps a 30% raise so that aren't lining in poverty.

There will never be another draft unless it is for a national war. Because today if they draft the boys they will have to draft the girls or the boys will tell them to pound sand. In todays world that would be sexual discrimination and the courts would not allow it.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Or, do tit for tat. Change Military bennies? Change SS by the same amount. I always have to laugh when this gets thrown out to rile veterans up. The majority of members here already draw SS so there would be a little better spread of the pain. How about we tax IRA's / 401K's, etc?

Those have been discussed as well and they meet with the exact same fate so we just continue to pay out more than we take in, year after year. Nothing in that bill suggests anything that would effect those already retired in any significant way. Sadly each group finds some way to protect their funds and each uses the very same argument. The Simpson-Bowles Commission basically said to make small changes to everything, but thus far Congress is afraid to do anything to anyone.

I just went back completely through this thread and found not one post that advocates cutting veterans only. But what is true is that everyone wants Congress to cut someone else. It is an attitude that doesn't bode well for our kids or grandchildren. Most of us will probably be gone before the inevitable crash comes, but it will happen if someone isn't first and the first can't be the only. A bill to cut all such programs at the same time would probably be the most fair way, but I'll be surprised to see that happen.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Something that might help the U.S.A.'s financial situation is to stop all hand-outs to foreign governments/countries. Our government is borrowing money from China to give to other countries.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

In the big picture we give very little away to other countries in the way of direct aide. The 2 biggest hand outs which are Israel and Egypt are mostly military aide which to some extent is a job's bill. It allows Boeing and other defense contractors to sell them military hardware which provides a backdoor to R&D funds through the foreign military aide contracts. If we stopped given foreign aide it would not make a bit of difference to the budget. It's the domestic spending that is killing the budget.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Somehow I just can't see a draft working today since all you need (under the 2015 rules) to be declared unfit to serve is a hand, face or neck tattoo and you can get one of them in 20 minutes. Use InfinitInk and it can come off easily once you are no longer subject to the draft.

Can't stand the thought of a tattoo, well there are many other alternatives that will make you ineligible without needing to acquire a pregnant wife or felony record.

They lowered tattoo standards along with several other things when they needed to get more meat for the grinder.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

The lowered the tattoo standards this year to get more bodies but with the erasable ink I'd still bet you could get a big enough, offensive enough tattoo or tattoos that they wouldn't take you and you'd be able to easily zap the ink later.

Jail or the Army was a common offer but only to folks that didn't already have a felony conviction.

Archived