HDT with a couch

GeorgiaHybrid

OK everyone, I need a little help with a few sticky items....

The DW is at least now entertaining the idea of swapping our M2-112 for a HDT in the future as long as it will meet certain requirements of hers. The Smart car is an easy one to accomplish but she is wanting to have a couch/bed in the cab and I have only found that option with a KW W900 or T660 in the 84" Studio Cab or in the 72" AeroCab. She does not like the conventional looks of the W900 (or a long nose Pete) and does not like the low headroom of the T660.

She did like the KW T680 but no factory option couch is available. One request she has is that the interior look fairly stock and not one of my usual "thrown together" projects.... The T680 doesn't look like an easy fix as the area under the bunk would need to be trimmed back to the sides and shortened front to rear for the couch and the HVAC ductwork is in that area. Question one would be how difficult does the group think adding a couch and moving the toolbox and ductwork under the seat would be on a T680?

The other possible is a Freightliner Cascadia as the entire area under the bed is a lift up access to the toolbox. It should be a LOT simpler to move the bulk of the toolbox to the back and fab a couch for that center section similar to the couch on the KW T660. One big plus to the Cascadia is that I can easily order it as a factory single with a 23K rear axle and a DD16 set to run at low rpm's at 65 mph. On both trucks however, there would still be the issue of seatbelts for two or three spots in the rear (the main reason to go with a HDT is passenger space plus room for a smart).

Anyone have any ideas about getting a factory look into either of those two trucks with a couch? I would prefer a KW (or a Pete) but the FL would be OK as well. I don't know if a Volvo could be done that easy either as I think they have the same issues as the KW and I would just prefer to have a Pete, KW or FL. I'm open to ideas and not in a big hurry so there is no big rush to come up with something as we are still researching decks, Smart cars and trying to figure out how to get that Cattle Dog of hers into the cab without having a stroke....

Thanks in advance,

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Volvo has two bed/sofas and the bottom one can convert to a dinette, unless Volvo is not on your short list.

Captain, U. S. Marine Corps (Retired)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan VMI Equipped For Mom

2001 Dodge 2500 SLT V10

1977 M151A2 Military Jeep "Ma Deuce" & M416 Jeep Trailer

1965 Jaguar 3.8 S-Type aka "Miss Kitty"

http://www.mofrenchbulldogs.com

Volvo has two bed/sofas and the bottom one can convert to a dinette, unless Volvo is not on your short list.

Does the sofa go across the back of the cab and come with seat belts? The only thing that I have seen in a Volvo are the two small side seats with the dinette table and I don't think you are allowed to ride in those seats as you would be sitting sideways. If they do have a sofa across the rear of the cab, that would put Volvo i the running.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

heavyduty.cfm photos is second column from left about half way down.

My lower bunk was replaced with a custom fabbed "sleeper sofa" like those found in conversion vans. Simple build - steel tube frame, plywood, seat belts and tethers for car seats, upholstered cushions.

I would assume the Cascadia would be similarly easy.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

I removed the bed in my T600 and replaced it with a futon from Walmart. It worked perfectly for the depth of the bed area when in the bed configuration. It also came in 2 pieces so it was easy to install in the truck. I'll upload some pictures to my photo bucket account. Oh yeah, It only cost $170.00. My son has no complaints sitting back there.

http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/dustinschales/library/Mobile%20Uploads

ARI and Indiana Custom Trucks in northern Indiana both specialize in the kingsize sleepers and would probably have some ideas or plans. Several years ago I took factory tours of both facilities and while they don't build motorhomes or rv's they will build a custom sleeper to your specs, just bring your checkbook and ideas.

David,

Mine came with no dinette and a cushioned bed frame on top of which we put a memory foam mattress. It has three seat belts across the back wall. The upper bunk also has a memory foam mattress. I am told by my passengers (wife, son, and grandkids) that both are very comfortable. Our dogs love it.

If it has a dinette, it converts into a bed and also has seat belts.

Captain, U. S. Marine Corps (Retired)

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan VMI Equipped For Mom

2001 Dodge 2500 SLT V10

1977 M151A2 Military Jeep "Ma Deuce" & M416 Jeep Trailer

1965 Jaguar 3.8 S-Type aka "Miss Kitty"

http://www.mofrenchbulldogs.com

I removed the bed in my T600 and replaced it with a futon from Walmart. It worked perfectly for the depth of the bed area when in the bed configuration. It also came in 2 pieces so it was easy to install in the truck. I'll upload some pictures to my photo bucket account. Oh yeah, It only cost $170.00. My son has no complaints sitting back there.

http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/dustinschales/library/Mobile%20Uploads

You happen to have Walmart Item # ?

Really like how that looks/works.

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

As far as I know none of the trucks come with factory seatbelts at the back. I've never seen seatbelts in the Studio Sleeper, but Scrap wil comment. There are cages for sleeping, but not seatbelts for sitting. So you are going to have to fabricate something no mater if there is already seating there.

It would be pretty simple to add a couch to a 630 or 670. The 780 stock has sideways seating positions at the dinette, and you do not want to ride that way - so although belts could be added I would not do it. You could change out the dinette on the 780 and build a couch in without much issue.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As far as I know none of the trucks come with factory seatbelts at the back. I've never seen seatbelts in the Studio Sleeper, but Scrap wil comment. There are cages for sleeping, but not seatbelts for sitting. So you are going to have to fabricate something no mater if there is already seating there.

It would be pretty simple to add a couch to a 630 or 670. The 780 stock has sideways seating positions at the dinette, and you do not want to ride that way - so although belts could be added I would not do it. You could change out the dinette on the 780 and build a couch in without much issue.

Jack,

Both the KW W900 and the KW T660 can be bought with a rear sofa with factory seat belts in the 84" studio sleeper and in the 72" Aerocab sleeper. They can also be bought with a bottom bunk instead of the couch.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Riding sideways is not illegal, just possibly inadvisable. There are vans that come factory with sideways seats at the back--I was in a Sprinter that had them. My HDT has them cause its the only way to seat 6 in the sleeper. Not the best option, I know.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Riding sideways is not illegal, just possibly inadvisable. There are vans that come factory with sideways seats at the back--I was in a Sprinter that had them. My HDT has them cause its the only way to seat 6 in the sleeper. Not the best option, I know.

And almost all airport shuttle vans have them seated sideways. And I don't remember seeing seat belts on those either!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I just prefer a forward facing seat.... My body doesn't bend very well sideways and airport shuttle vans don't normally go 65 to 70 mph in the passenger unloading zone.....

It looks like there are multiple options to fix the issue though. I like the solution ATCBoomer has but would still like to move the front of the toolbox back and shorten the bottom cushion. From what I saw of their site, Indiana Custom Trucks or someone similar wouldn't have a problem with it. I might even reach out to a buddy that does custom hot rod interiors to see if he would be willing to help out. The mechanical work is not a problem but making a nice looking interior is just not in my skill set....

From the interiors shown here so far, it looks like an easy fix so a KW T680 or a FL Cascadia might be our future truck. I hate to say it with all of the Volvo fans here but I just like the looks of those two trucks. If it wasn't an International, I would get a Lonestar just for the looks alone... Saw a black one yesterday with enough chrome "bling" on it to satisfy anyone.....

Thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming if someone has another solution...

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

I have a T2000 and I removed the lower bunk and had a couch installed in its place. There is a metal framework under the couch that supports it. There are three seat belts attached to the framework and the framework is bolted through the sleeper floor. The coach framework sits over top of the sleeper a/c stuff without interfering. It works very well and should be similar in a T680 (although I haven't been in a T680 sleeper to look how things are laid out).

Here are a few pictures that show the sleeper layout(mixed in with some other photos of the truck). https://www.flickr.com/photos/82641302@N03/

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Ya they've always had shoulder belts in the 72" and 86" sofabed trucks. Everything is totally different in the structure of it compared to a lower bunk sleeper as well. The sofabed itself absolutely sucks to get in the cab. The seats gotta come out and on cowl breather trucks the doors usually got to come off. I've never done one in and out of a T680 but I imagine it isn't much different. All I know is that swivel seat is one heavy mofo. And once it is out you get to double the size and weight and shove it back in again. It ain't fun. Then you have to move your sleeper PDC, cut up all your lower bunk structure, then remove your sleeper HVAC unit and KIMS unit if the truck is ordered with that. It just seems that it would be a shame to cut up your brand new truck.

I've never once missed having the headroom when in an Aerocab truck. There's just nothing I do there that I stand up for. I've bumped my head or tripped over the floor bump maybe only a couple times in my life. I guess I don't really miss the storage and really don't care if the seats rub me when going from cab to sleeper. But I will say that the taller windshield of the T680 is nice. You can always tell a rookie KW driver at a stoplight as they've got the front bumper over the line and the seat way high. You just don't drive them that way. But my #1 pet peeve of the Aerocab is doing the dance in the sleeper all the time. When the 2nd person can't stand up out of the way in the passenger seat area you naturally end up doing a shuffle in the wardrobe area behind the seats. I got two guys at work that I've danced with more than all my wives and girlfriends combined!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived