Why a toad needs TPMS sensors

post-780-0-08151100-1431376220_thumb.jpg

If you pull a toad, you need to have TPMS sensors on its wheels.

We were following a semi that kicked a piece of steel up against the retaining wall in the construction site. Dale saw it fly up. The piece missed the truck and trailer but the toad wasn't lucky enough.

The alarm on the TPMS went off and we identified the right front tire of the toad was losing air. We made it to the shoulder with less than 10 psi on the reading.

We have a camera on the toad also. There was no change in the attitude of the toad as we stopped.

If we had relied on just the camera, the indication would have been when the toad rim started to destroy itself.

Even late model toads with built in TPMS need external sensors so the toad tire pressure can be monitored from the tow vehicle.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

This was the reason we went to a TPMS system. It's very difficult to determine if your toad has had a blowout since it's likely that you won't feel much change from your RV. The plus is that you get a little bit of a heads-up on the RV, too. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

In addition to not feeling that the toad is loosing air or has a flat, even though you have a monitor, you can't see the tires. We drug ours along for a long time before someone waving us over. The tire was gone along with parts of the car. That's when we got monitors for all the tires - motorhome and toad.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have our TPMS set up to monitor all tires on the MH , the Dolly, and the car. We tow a Prius on the Dolly. Have monitors on the rear tires on the Prius and the tires on the Dolly.

If I lost a tire on either the Dolly or the car I probably would not be able to tell it very well at the driver's seat even though we have a rear view camera, without the TPMS.

I highly recommend TPMS for all toads behind MHs. YMWV ;)

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Was thinking about installing a TPMS on our toad, as last year left rear tire on it blew out and eventually came off the wheel,but didn't feel a thing in our coach. :o

My concern is whether the signal emitted from the TPMS is strong enough to reach the monitor in driver's area of our coach. :unsure:

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

In most cases yes. For really long coaches, there are repeaters.

Best option get the TPMS system and try it. If there is dropout on the toad, add the repeater.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Jim, I didn't go with the repeater that Mark mentioned. I went with the external antenna first. My antenna sits far enough back that it has no issues with reading all of the tires. I am not as long as Mark is but I am still 60ft.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

attachicon.gif20150511_081116.jpg

If you pull a toad, you need to have TPMS sensors on its wheels.

We were following a semi that kicked a piece of steel up against the retaining wall in the construction site. Dale saw it fly up. The piece missed the truck and trailer but the toad wasn't lucky enough.

The alarm on the TPMS went off and we identified the right front tire of the toad was losing air. We made it to the shoulder with less than 10 psi on the reading.

We have a camera on the toad also. There was no change in the attitude of the toad as we stopped.

If we had relied on just the camera, the indication would have been when the toad rim started to destroy itself.

Even late model toads with built in TPMS need external sensors so the toad tire pressure can be monitored from the tow vehicle.

WOW, that is some hole, how could you have 10 psi by the time you stopped with a hole like that?

My Pressure Pro repeater is mounted high on the rear bedroom back wall.

Have no dropped signals from the toad.

181606640.jpg

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We bought a pretty inexpensive... okay, "cheap"... TPMS from Amazon that is basically a hand-held device about the size of a not-so-smart cell phone (think "Nokia" about ten years ago) and it sits in a cradle on the dash of our 36' DP and still gets the signals from the toad (a Jeep Wrangler 2-door) with no problems.

OEM TPMS units monitor the tire pressure as part of the stem itself; after-market sensors mount on the stem like a slightly over-sized cap. There should be no issues with interference between the installed TPMS and the after-market TPMS you'd need to monitor the toad's tires inside the coach.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I used Pressure Pro since it was available. A couple of months ago I switched to TST on my trailer (PP still on the truck). I like the TST better. Nicer display, constant view of pressures without pushing buttons, smaller and easier to mount, works RELIABLY on long trailer. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Let's see, tire pressure sensors, rear view cameras, ABS brakes, GPS, etc., makes me wonder how we ever traveled around the country years ago, and made it safely.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Let's see, tire pressure sensors, rear view cameras, ABS brakes, GPS, etc., makes me wonder how we ever traveled around the country years ago, and made it safely.

Point well taken, and same for auxiliary toad brakes before they were available on the market--, :rolleyes:

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

Many, many, many people did NOT make it safely.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack, which of the TST models do you have? I believe the two people seem to use are the 507 and 510? (or something like that!)

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

All while sitting in the rear facing 3rd seat of a 1970 Ambassador station wagon crossing Texas in the summer....with no AC....

Pic of what can happen...

http://i.imgur.com/2eLFOOw.jpg

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jack, which of the TST models do you have? I believe the two people seem to use are the 507 and 510? (or something like that!)

Roy

I have the 510 - the ones that have permanent batteries.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack,

I have the 507 on the trailer (4 sensors + 2 extra) and the 510 (10 sensors) on the truck. Give me a year and I will have a valid comparison of the two models. I had the 510 on my trailer and traded six sensors + monitor in on the 507 when the batteries needed replacing. Really liked it. RandyA gave me a 510 monitor and some old sensors so with what I had left ended up with ten new 510 sensors for $200 on trade. Trying to get the sensors on my tandems was a royal pain. If I have any problems can see some Crossfires with dual schraders like Charlie's in my future.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived