Safety issues. Cameras? Lights? What do you use?

Laara

Hello!

We are getting ready for our first trip, will do mostly boondocking and question arose about how safe it is at night for us or even in day time (if you leave motorhome for few hours). We were thinking maybe we should install security cameras that record what's going on. Or maybe motion light for the night... How do you deal with that?

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

2009 Dynamax Isata 26ft

Honda Helix scooter

Your instincts are your best security. If that little something in your gut speaks to you about where you are then move on. Don't answer the door to anyone you don't know even in an RV park. Don't be to open to strangers about where you are parked.

Go have fun

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

It is one of the biggest changes moving from normal housing and living in an RV. The world is significantly different. It wll take a little while before you don't fear things like you used to.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Rural America is the safest part of this country. In many areas it is very common for people to leave home with doors unlocked and the majority of rural people do not lock their doors at night. Consider that many folks stay in tents that have no locks in those same areas, yet there is very little, if any crime problem at all. In more than 35 years of RV travels, the only time that our RV was ever broken into was when it was parked on a pad at the end of our Ft. Worth home and we were in the house asleep. That was in 1999.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We don't do anything special other than pay attention. Of course we do lock the door when we are gone, and we normally lock the door when we are inside unless we want the door open with the screen door. And we have a motion activated "porch" light ...and dogs that alert us to any unusual noises like a strange sound outside or a knock on the door. We have stayed in pretty run of the mill mom & pop type locations all over the country (we tend to avoid resorts, etc), and have never felt particularly uneasy anywhere.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Thank you for all the answers, it helps to know that it is pretty safe there. It is just we've never done this and it is a little uneasy for the mind to be outthere, nobody knows where:) Thanks for all the input!

2009 Dynamax Isata 26ft

Honda Helix scooter

Laara we dont usually do anything but lock our door as well ......we have however considered installing a motion light but that would be more for our own convenience such as arriving back to the RV in the dark.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Laara we dont usually do anything but lock our door as well ......we have however considered installing a motion light but that would be more for our own convenience such as arriving back to the RV in the dark.

Same here. I have a motion light, but it's strictly for my own convenience. I don't really lock my door unless I'm going to do a couple days away out hiking or such.. and I happen to remember. ;) If anything.. I feel less secure in more populated areas (CG's).. but then again.. most of the places I choose to camp it's not uncommon to not see another living soul for days.

Thank you for all the answers, it helps to know that it is pretty safe there. It is just we've never done this and it is a little uneasy for the mind to be outthere, nobody knows where:) Thanks for all the input!

[/quot

As to the "nobody's knows where.". Generally our kids and others don't give our where about much thought. However in sparse, remote areas we text one of them our location.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

As to the "nobody's knows where.". Generally our kids and others don't give our where about much thought. However in sparse, remote areas we text one of them our location.

When Dave stopped traveling and I went out solo, he set up my phone and tablet with the "find my..." settings. He then always knew where I was.

Other than that all I did was not stop if a place felt unsafe and keep my doors locked if they weren't open to catch the breeze.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1. We lock our door when we leave with the car and at night when we go to sleep at night. Other than that, the only precaution we take is to turn off the water supply (not for security reasons!!) when we will be gone for a few hours. That's in Canada and the USA

2004 Itasca Sunrise - 8.1 - Workhorse W22 - Allison 1000 - Chevy Cobalt toad

I believe it is important to know exactly where you are at. We had an event where a stranger looking for drugs knocked on our RV door late at night. He left when we told him we had no drugs (this thru the kitchen window), but he came back again 15 min. later. This time I told him I was calling the police & he left. That's when I realized I didn't know exactly where we were at. We were boondocking near Quartzsite, Az. The next day I reported it to the ranger station & found out there are markers all around the area with numbers on them that show your location. So, know where you are so that the police can find you in the event of an emergency. Just my 2 cents. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

The next day I reported it to the ranger station & found out there are markers all around the area with numbers on them that show your location. So, know where you are so that the police can find you in the event of an emergency. Just my 2 cents. Dave.

Those markers must be in the LTVAs because I've never seen any such markers on the free BLM lands.

I usually take our GPS coordinates when we arrive in a new area because I have a note on my phone telling of our location and what to do with the dogs in case we're not able to get back to the rig.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Those markers must be in the LTVAs because I've never seen any such markers on the free BLM lands.

I usually take our GPS coordinates when we arrive in a new area because I have a note on my phone telling of our location and what to do with the dogs in case we're not able to get back to the rig.

That's correct, LindaH. We were boondocking in the LTVA area just south of Quartzsite, Az. I believe the name of the area was LaPosa South. It was BLM land that had the ranger sttion at the entrance. I'm sorry I omitted this info. but I tried to be short & to the point in my original post. That point was that you need to be able to tell the police exactly where you are at, so that they can find you quickly in the event of an emergency. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived