Looking for a Class A - First Time Buyer

Red Crewzer

What can anybody tell me about the Holiday Rambler Scepter motorhomes? The one I found is a 2008, 42ft with 4 slides. Up till now I have been looking at Newmar and Tiffin Allegro Bus's. How would Holiday compare to these coaches?

Thanks for any insight you might provide.

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

Making that sort of comparison gets to be more a mater of opinions than of hard facts. I rate the Newmar & Tiffin lines at the very top because of their long reputation for quality & support. HR is a part of the Monaco line and they have had pretty good reports over the years so it should be a quality RV, but perhaps down a small step. With any RV that is 7 years old the condition it is now in is of the greatest importance. Even the very best RV could be a bad choice if it has been neglected or abused. I'd make sure that I had it completely and professionally inspected before any purchase.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A lot depends on your budget. I have my coach listed, but because of the price point, many people do not wish to put that much into a new coach. You can search for my listing here for more info.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I would not rule out Foretravel the used Market is very good at this time.

There are some reasonable prices out there: http://motorhomesoftexas.com/

for coaches over 12 years old. The 2011 for $849K looks really great, but only 2 slides.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

. The 2011 for $849K looks really great, but only 2 slides.

The catch to all of this is that once an RV is past 10 years old it becomes very difficult to find financing for it. In addition, interest rates rise significantly.

• 4 months later...

We have been living in our 2015 Phaeton since July. Purchased new from the dealer in Little Rock, and discovered so many problems, are now considering 'lemon laws'. We read ALL the info, thought we were buying a quality product. We were wrong. Our western adventure stopped in Wyoming, the non-functioning 'Aqua hot' was repaired, after two days in a hotel, pets in kennels, etc. We then had to divert to Salt Lake, THE only Tiffin dealer that would consider repairs, all other dealers on our route refused service. So, in SLC, the non functioning air conditioner, driver mirror, heating fan, hydraulic leak, slides popping out while driving, front end not aligned prior to delivery.... The list is lengthy. Because my husband is very mechanically inclined, he attempted researching the owners manual....there wasn't one, nor the Cumins manual, the Freightliner manual, or the pump for the air mattress...

Today we sit in a hotel in Grand Junction, CO. We broke down in the desert of Southern Utah, towing here to Cumins dealer accomplished only after the mechanic repaired & inflated the airbag for the suspension.

Towing bill $1750.00, again hotel & kennels..... Looking for a good 'lemon law' Attny.

Talk directly to Bob Tiffin as soon as you can - he is reachable and will move mountains to make things right. Many owners will tell you stories about how they have stepped up to major problems.

Jeff, Patricia and Sage 

Full timers for 15 years

Future part timers 

It's all fine and dandy to talk to Mr. Tiffin but things like that shouldn't happen in the first place. It shouldn't have left the factory. Also, having only one dealer in the area to make repairs and having no tech manuals? Yes, it sounds like you got a lemon, unfortunately. Good luck.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I know there are people with Tiffins that love them...BUT, I read an awful lot of postings of Tiffin owners taking their yearly pilgrimage to Red Bay, AL. to get things fixed. I was close to buying a Phaeton, but shied away after reading of the problems. Tiffin has a great reputation of fixing things, But that's not what I wanted to hear when we were shopping.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

It's all fine and dandy to talk to Mr. Tiffin but things like that shouldn't happen in the first place. It shouldn't have left the factory. Also, having only one dealer in the area to make repairs and having no tech manuals? Yes, it sounds like you got a lemon, unfortunately. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more!! For the price these coaches sell for, one should expect the very best in workmanship and quality of materials used. As much as I hate litigation, this is a clear cut case of a very expensive "lemon". Hope these folks are able to get all their money back and extra for all they have been put through.

We have been living in our 2015 Phaeton since July. Purchased new from the dealer in Little Rock, and discovered so many problems, are now considering 'lemon laws'. We read ALL the info, thought we were buying a quality product. We were wrong. Our western adventure stopped in Wyoming, the non-functioning 'Aqua hot' was repaired, after two days in a hotel, pets in kennels, etc. We then had to divert to Salt Lake, THE only Tiffin dealer that would consider repairs, all other dealers on our route refused service. So, in SLC, the non functioning air conditioner, driver mirror, heating fan, hydraulic leak, slides popping out while driving, front end not aligned prior to delivery.... The list is lengthy. Because my husband is very mechanically inclined, he attempted researching the owners manual....there wasn't one, nor the Cumins manual, the Freightliner manual, or the pump for the air mattress...

Today we sit in a hotel in Grand Junction, CO. We broke down in the desert of Southern Utah, towing here to Cumins dealer accomplished only after the mechanic repaired & inflated the airbag for the suspension.

Towing bill $1750.00, again hotel & kennels..... Looking for a good 'lemon law' Attny.

I'm sorry you haven't had a trouble-free experience with you coach. Having problems on the road is no fun but there are lots of resources available to you.

Lemon laws tend to vary by the state where the vehicle is registered. But they also generally apply only to the chassis side of things, not the house. Almost everything you mentioned in your post is house related, not the chassis.

I suggest you visit the Tiffin RV Network (www.tiffinrvnetwork.com) and join the forum. You will learn more about your coach and how to get things serviced fast and efficiently. You do not need to take your coach to a Tiffin dealer to be serviced. Tiffin is very liberal about paying other vendors to fix your coach - but you need to call Service first.

Your towing bill should be covered by CoachNet. Did you call them (number is posted in the front cabinet above the driver) to have them tow you? You are covered for 1 year from date of purchase.

Your front end was aligned before the coach left Red Bay. That doesn't mean that in delivering it to your dealer it didn't get out of alignment. Tiffin will pay for an alignment in the first year if it is needed. Again, it all starts with a phone call to Service.

Your manuals are provided in a big blue bag. If you don't have one, a simple call to Tiffin will get one shipped to you.

As to your house problems, all of the parts you mentioned are supplied by various venders. Tiffin will install them and service them, but they do not make them. These products are generally used by multiple vendors in the RV industry.

I would suggest you call Bob Tiffin. He is a southern gentleman so I suggest you keep the conversation very polite with minimal emotion expressed. Make sure you mention the dealers who wouldn't provide service as that really is not right.

Roger & Mary
2014 Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit
Zoe (lab mix) and the cats (Sam & Milly)

The party who posted this one has not been back to the forums since the post was made. That would seem to demonstrate that they only joined the forums to post negative comments about Tiffin. I'd suspect that if you were to look you could probably find the same post on any number of other RV forums. To me, that doesn't demonstrate much credibility for the poster. I still know far more satisfied Tiffin owners than I do unhappy ones.

The party who posted this one has not been back to the forums since the post was made. That would seem to demonstrate that they only joined the forums to post negative comments about Tiffin. I'd suspect that if you were to look you could probably find the same post on any number of other RV forums. To me, that doesn't demonstrate much credibility for the poster. I still know far more satisfied Tiffin owners than I do unhappy ones.

First post too. Giving them the benefit of doubt, perhaps they forgot they posted here.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

One comment - as a first time buyer consider that a 2008 model was likely built in 2007 so you are likely buying a coach that was built 9 years ago. That could come with a lot of items that will be wearing out and need service. Just go in with your eyes open if you buy one that old. For sure be looking at manufacturing dates on tires, as you don't want to be rolling on tires that are 8 or 9 years old no matter how much tread is left on them. Also you don't want to be running on 9 year old belts and perhaps also radiator hoses in the engine compartment. You should also consider the availability of support and parts if you buy one that old.

Randy Smischny

Manhattan, Kansas USA

2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

2016 Honda HR-V

CATSuperCruizer, I apologize for getting away from your topic. Seems it was hijacked with a first-time post. I see a lot of Holiday Rambler MH's while traveling, and do not see many posts about problems with them.

Sent Full-timer a PM requesting they return to review replies.

Thanks, and the items mentioned are only a few failures. The tow to Colorado from Utah was as a result of a failure at the factory on the assembly line. Cummins & Freightliner both repaired that major failure, now we need the failed heater, hydraulic leak, with other big problems repaired. Our trip home to CA now canceled, headed to Alabama for more repairs. It is never ending....

Archived