Firearms not allowed into Canada

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kirk,

I just solve the issue a different way, If my firearms aren't welcome, neither is my cash. I have plenty of places to see in these United States without going near Canada, Mexico or the Peoples Republik States. I prefer the free states that recognise the entire Constitution and the Bill of Rights. As far as Alaska is concerned, I will just fly there to see it or take a boat.

That sort of atitude is why so many Americans do so miserable on geography knowledge. Shooting yourself in the foot, no pun intended. Most of us survive into our 90's without ever touching a gun. Certainly lack of one is a poor excuse to restrict your horizons. Just my opinion.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

That sort of atitude is why so many Americans do so miserable on geography knowledge. Shooting yourself in the foot, no pun intended. Most of us survive into our 90's without ever touching a gun. Certainly lack of one is a poor excuse to restrict your horizons. Just my opinion.

I just have to call "BS" on this. I'm not even sure "most" of us survive to ninety. However many of those that are in their nineties right now picked up guns in the 1940's and made it possible for us to be here at all. They're called WWII Veterans. Thank you for your service.

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

Do you really want to go there? They are criminals and act like criminals, Just like the shootings in Ottawa or the ones last week in Mexico that killed 43 people, Criminals will always be just that, criminals. It makes no difference if they are in Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America or Australia, mass shootings are a fact of life. You can't predict when a criminal will strike or what they are willing to do. I carry a firearm to protect my family against those criminals.

I hope and pray that I never have to use that firearm but I will have the option if ever needed as I was never taught to kneel down and beg for my life....You can do as you wish with your life and the lives of your family, I will do as I wish with mine. We both have a plan "A"....Call the police. The difference is, I have a plan "B".

And Telcoman, I dare say I have a LOT better knowledge of geography than most. I was raised in the military by a lifer (93 years young and a combat vet of WWII, Korea and Vietnam) and saw a LOT of places in the world while growing up. Since then, I have been on construction jobs around the world in China, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, the Philippines, the Netherlands and others. I have walked on the great wall of China, seen the Borobudur temples, the Taj Mahal, Forbidden City and many other places most just read about in books. Most of the areas I went too were poverty and crime ridden and not safe for most people. I KNOW first hand what people can and will do to each other. THAT is why I have the attitude I have, No BS, No "wanna be" attitude, just first hand knowledge of how crappy about 1 or 2 percent of the people in the world can be.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I just have to call "BS" on this. I'm not even sure "most" of us survive to ninety. However many of those that are in their nineties right now picked up guns in the 1940's and made it possible for us to be here at all. They're called WWII Veterans. Thank you for your service.

Yeah but who are you going to shoot camping? The park ranger knocking on your door at 8 PM to collect? Its diferent in your own home, in public you have to make a pretty good case to justify using one if you dont want to be charged yourself. I have traveled to over 60 countires in my lifetime, a lot of them considered war zones by many. I spent 2 weeks as a captive of Fedayeen guerrillas in Lebanon in the 70's at one point (long story, but happy ending). I still stay as far away from guns as i can. I figure my chance of being a victim of one is considerably increased if i am carryign one myself. The 2 times in my life (the aforementioned incident was on of them) I have had one pointed at me, i would have been dead if I had been armed myself. IMO, they provide a false sense of security that is more likely to get you killed or in trouble, than save you. Just my opinion.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

I look at it this way - While I consider myself a very safe driver, I always wear my seat belt. I have never had a fire but I have multiple fire extinguishers and check them frequently. A firearm is just another tool that you hope you never need to use. Like other things of great power, there is a responsibility to be properly trained.

I guess I have been lucky. In 28 years as a law enforcement officer, I never had to use my weapon in the line of duty. However, after I retired, I believe having a pistol prevented a case of road rage from escalating when a very angry young man threatened me with a tire iron.

As to the topic of this thread, we like Canada very much and have traveled in most of the provinces. The country is beautiful and the people are very friendly. Unfortunately, EVERY time we cross the border, we are treated so poorly that we have decided not to go again. We respect the Canadian law and have always complied but I believe I am in a database of people who are likely to have firearms and are treated like criminals. Like GeorgiaHybrid, we prefer to travel where we are welcomed.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Yeah but who are you going to shoot camping? The park ranger knocking on your door at 8 PM to collect? Its diferent in your own home, in public you have to make a pretty good case to justify using one if you dont want to be charged yourself. I have traveled to over 60 countires in my lifetime, a lot of them considered war zones by many. I spent 2 weeks as a captive of Fedayeen guerrillas in Lebanon in the 70's at one point (long story, but happy ending). I still stay as far away from guns as i can. I figure my chance of being a victim of one is considerably increased if i am carryign one myself. The 2 times in my life (the aforementioned incident was on of them) I have had one pointed at me, i would have been dead if I had been armed myself. IMO, they provide a false sense of security that is more likely to get you killed or in trouble, than save you. Just my opinion.

And this jibberish has WHAT to do with what you quoted from me?

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

...I cant bring my firearms into the US either....it goes both ways....but I'm intelligent enough and tolerant enough to recognise that our countries are friends and I am willing to abide by US laws when I am in the US...

There are ways to bring a firearm into the United States. Here is a link to one of them. Not as easy as the Canadian process though.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

There are pawn shops every where. Just pawn it for the 90 days then go back pay what they charge for loaning you money and be on your way. I left mine with my nephews, and when I arrived at the boarder I was asked several times if I had weapons. I explained I did own weapons but left them with relatives. We crossed at Sawgrass, MT and the agent stated we could leave them there and pick them up on our way back. ( I think this was a trick after I told her I didn't have weapons on board). I told her I didn't have weapons again and she stated have a good time in our country and I was on our way.

I do believe they have access to our weapons database.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I do believe they have access to our weapons database.

I didn't know there was a database. I had a handgun stolen from our house (along with a Samsung HDTV) with serial numbers and everything and the cops had no idea about how they might find it again. Never got either of those back. Or, come to think of it, anything that has ever been stolen from me.

Maybe they don't look all that hard. Or it could depend upon how long ago (and where) you bought it. I know for a fact that they have access to criminal records and even DUI. I was on a company-sponsored passenger ferry trip to Victoria and one of the company employees was refused entry based on his DUI record.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared".

In this sense it means having your Canadian paper work filled out listing your (allowed) long guns, sign it in front of the border guard and pay your fee. Canada firearm laws differ from those in the states but we comply with them in order to drive home to Alaska.

Later,

J

PS I held a concealed carry permit in Panama for many years which shows you that firearms laws very by country but not nearly so as much as they do between U.S. states.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

And again its turned into a discussion about gun\no gun when the OP was asking about if and how to take them.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

There is no "weapons database" that is comprehensive. And just pray that it stays that way.

There IS sporadic info on who has a concealed carry permit. In some states it is on your physical drivers license. In some states it is obtainable based on your vehicle plate number. But there is no consistency and no national database on all firearms. PRAY that it stays that way. Even Canada rolled back a lot of their registration procedures because of valid issues.

This entire issue of carrying a firearm will never be "resolved". Those who oppose firearms will never be convinced to carry one. That is their prerogative, and carrying a firearm without the training and willingness to use it is STUPID. And dangerous to yourself and others. So no need to debate carrying firearms here......

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We have a Cock A too that travels with us and many states require a health certificate. California is mostly impossible and so is Canada. We carry that health certificate with us at all times and renew when necessary. We do not take the bird to Canada or California, Who can I write to about being Cock A too unfriendly.. Bird does not bother anybody. Dang rules and regulations.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Every time you purchase a weapon it is listed when the background check is done. When a weapon is stolen it should be listed in the I believe the NCIC. This is how police find out the weapon has been reported stolen.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Every time you purchase a weapon it is listed when the background check is done. When a weapon is stolen it should be listed in the I believe the NCIC. This is how police find out the weapon has been reported stolen.

Not so. The federal government - at the PRESENT TIME - is prohibited from having a central database of firearms. The NICS only checks for eligibility for a sale. It does not record the firearm. States "may" do that, and FFLs are required to do that and maintain the records. It varies by state on if the state maintains a central database.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Richfaa...maybe you could pawn the Cockatoo for a while....just a thought...:)

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Registry prohibition

The Act also forbade the U.S. Government agency from keeping a registry directly linking non-National Firearms Act firearms to their owners, the specific language of this law (Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926) being:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

Nevertheless, the ATF Firearms Tracing System (FTS) contains hundreds of millions of firearm tracing and registration records, and consists of several databases:

1. Multiple Sale Reports. Over 460,000 (2003) Multiple Sales reports (ATF F 3310.4 - a registration record with specific firearms and owner name and address - increasing by about 140,000 per year). Reported as 4.2 million records in 2010.[12] 2. Suspect Guns. All guns suspected of being used for criminal purposes but not recovered by law enforcement. This database includes (ATF's own examples[citation needed]), individuals purchasing large quantities of firearms, and dealers with improper record keeping. May include guns observed by law enforcement in an estate, or at a gun show, or elsewhere.[citation needed] Reported as 34,807 in 2010.[12] 3. Traced Guns. Over 4 million detail records from all traces since inception.[12] This is a registration record which includes the personal information of the first retail purchaser, along with the identity of the selling dealer. 4. Out of Business Records. Data is manually collected from paper Out-of-Business records (or input from computer records) and entered into the trace system by ATF. These are registration records which include name and address, make, model, serial and caliber of the firearm(s), as well as data from the 4473 form - in digital or image format. In March, 2010, ATF reported receiving several hundred million records since 1968.[13] 5. Theft Guns. Firearms reported as stolen to ATF. Contained 330,000 records in 2010.[12] Contains only thefts from licensed dealers and interstate carriers (optional).[12] Does not have an interface to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) theft data base, where the majority of stolen, lost and missing firearms are reported.[citation

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Ron, yes, they keep track of some of the firearms. And certainly reported stolen ones. But each state does it a little different and many states do NOT report the specific firearms sold and the owners. It is bad enough as it is....we don't need it worse. We already have data collection that is circumventing the intent of the laws.

www.jackdanmayer.com

When you purchase a firearm and fill out the "warranty" or registration card that firearm is on file at least with the manufacturer.Name address, phone, E mail.How hard would it be for "them" to get that information .how do we know who "they"share it with. That I have a CCP is on my drivers license when called up.If I have a CCP I probably have a gun.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived